New to the forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiro

Hi everyone. I've been reading up on beardie care and have been on this site looking at threads for the past few days. Figured I would go ahead and join seeing as I plan on getting a beardie. I currently have a brown anole named Spaz, a green anole named Greenie, and I recently added a veiled chameleon to my growing collection. He doesn't have a name yet since hes only been here for a few days so any suggestions are welcome.

Also as I was reading I've noticed that the tanks should be anywhere from 40+ and was wondering if my old fish tank would work. Its a 55 gallon but hasnt been used in years so I figured I'd clean it and use it but wasn't sure since it is ment for fish :oops: . Would save a good chunk of money :lol:

ya i hope its fine, thats is what i am using a 55 gallon old fish tank. ive had my dragon in it for about 2 months now and everything is fine

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
55 gallons is great for the long haul, but if you get an 8 inch baby you might want to section off some of it to keep hunting feeders easy. It will also keep the dragon closer to the higher end of the temperature gradient which will be good for metabolism. Sometimes babies can find themselves at the cool end of a long tank and not really figure out where to go and get warm.

Just a thought...

Welcome to the forums :D

Jeff

Shiro

Original Poster
I'm still a little iffy on whether or not to get a baby or get an adult. With the chameleon and the anoles I tend to run out of feeders xD, little pigs. 20-60 crix in a day is...wow :shock: . Would be easy to order them through mail but then again I also have have things to do so an adult would probably be best. Also with this being my first beardie I'd rather not risk losing a baby.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Adults are much simpler to care for and they wont break the bank. You can usually find someone who needs to find a new home for an adult on Craigslist or your local equivalent.

Jeff

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome! Joining this site before you get your beardie is a great way to get started, exactly what I did! :laughing6: Here's a link to the Indiana Craigslist, http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/in and you can select the area closest to you. I try to keep a beardie link open for San Francisco, California area Craigslist postings in the Rescue forum, viewforum.php?f=3 and we also have the Reptile Rescue Train on the rescue page, so if you find a beardie in another part of the country, we can set up transportation from one area to another. One thing about Craigslist, make sure you have a vet lined up, while some will be healthy, some of the dragons there can be very ill, and the owners don't even know it. This is my Galadriel's story to start, and she is close to 500 grams now, and I would like to see her get up to at least 550. /viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76162&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Good luck in your search, be sure to post pics, and help is always here when you need it!
:wave:

Shiro

Original Poster
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Its always amazed me how people can just buy a pet and know nothing but think they can give it proper care but thats why we do research 8) .

Ambz748

Hi and welcome! in response to your concern about using an old fish tank... When I first got my beardie Smokey it was sort of on a whim and I had her in a 20 gallon fish tank for the first two weeks, she was a small hatchling and even with that little enclosure she had plenty of room to roam. I then moved her to a 40 gallon repti-tank and she loved that too. As long as you make sure its clean it should be fine.

CoopersGrandma

Juvie Member
just want to say hello and welcome . think you should be okay with using the fish tank , thats what we started out with and is now a hand me down to my little one for the time being . hello again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom