New to the Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ya'll I just joined. I recently adopted a 3 month old Red bearded Dragon and figured I joined forums for all my other creatures it would be a good idea to join his one. I also one a brazilian black tarantula whos 6 months old, 2 hedgehog brothers, 1 kitten, 75 gallons of tropical fish, and 3 rabbits. The dragon currently still has no name so any name suggestions would be great preferably unisex. It is happily living in a 20 gallon verarium, once larger in size it will transfer to my 50 gallon tank.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Hey! Welcome to our forum! :) you have alot of pets! Hedgehogs are so cute- but they always prick up on me Xp

Im sure once your beardie starts showing some personality, you can name it better. How old is he/she?

If you have any questions at all, there are plenty of knowledgable people here who are happy to help!

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
I'd like to see your tarantula! I LOVE spiders and other creepy crawlies. The hedgehog sounds cute. Welcome to the forum! And yes, like BeardieMommy3991 said. Once his personalty comes out a name won't be hard.

BabiieKakesxOx

Original Poster
spencerq.jpg
This is Spencer

BabiieKakesxOx

Original Poster
Would you recommend a mulch bedding or the green carpet like bedding. Sand is a no no and I'm unsure which is better and cheaper in the long run to be using. Thanks in advance!

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Cool! So, how big is he? I know the largest tarantula is the bird eating spider. But is he regular tarantula size or is he bigger? I wish I could have a tarantula, but I have to wait till I have my own home. My mom is afraid of tarantulas. It took some persuading to make her get Nim's roaches. :roll: Sigh, that is my mom. She likes to look at bugs but won't touch certain ones.

BabiieKakesxOx":k7j3fouu said:
Would you recommend a mulch bedding or the green carpet like bedding. Sand is a no no and I'm unsure which is better and cheaper in the long run to be using. Thanks in advance!

If you are talking about the lizard, then there are many options. Repti carpet is what I use, some use tile or other things like that. I'm sure someone will help you with the other bedding choices.

BabiieKakesxOx

Original Poster
i meant for the dragon. one person said wood mulch which he was in originally the other said use the carpet since its easy to clean and good when their small. As for my tarantula. he is a baby within a year he will double in size. It is bigger then some of the other spiders i've seen for sale but the again he may just have been fed well. He enjoys live crickets and nice spray bottle mist. I have a horrible fear of spiders, should say had. I would kill them all! After having him I think hes beautiful and interesting I couldn't imagine hurting him unless he hurt me.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
BabiieKakesxOx":3oe8sbcs said:
As for my tarantula. he is a baby within a year he will double in size. It is bigger then some of the other spiders i've seen for sale but the again he may just have been fed well. He enjoys live crickets and nice spray bottle mist. I have a horrible fear of spiders, should say had. I would kill them all! After having him I think hes beautiful and interesting I couldn't imagine hurting him unless he hurt me.

Yeah, they do that to you. I am allergic to spider bites. Not scary allergic but the bite swells more than other bug bites. I've kept small wolf spiders and funnel webs and one jumping spider. The first spider I kept was a wolf spider and she opened my eyes. Now I love spiders. I still jump if they move real fast or are not in a cage. But that's because they are CREEPY. :lol:
As for the beardie substrate, I heard that mulch is worse than sand. But, I may be wrong.

BabiieKakesxOx

Original Poster
i'm debating on keeping the bark he was used to or buying a carpet for the tank. Money isn't a issue but I don't want to buy 2 things and come to find I cant use either. I am allergic to spider bites. Spiders produce the same venom as a bee but since they have 2 fangs its like a double bee sting. If i'm ever bit i'll need a epi pen and a trip to the hospital asap! My breed is very docile, they are very sweet if raised correctly. I'm in a tarantula forum but they dont let me post photos or even questions which is annoying!

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
BabiieKakesxOx":1ti6cglk said:
I am allergic to spider bites. Spiders produce the same venom as a bee but since they have 2 fangs its like a double bee sting. If i'm ever bit i'll need a epi pen and a trip to the hospital asap! My breed is very docile, they are very sweet if raised correctly. I'm in a tarantula forum but they dont let me post photos or even questions which is annoying!

Maybe you could start a tarantula thread type thing here. Maybe in the 'Off Topic' forum. I'm guessing others have tarantulas. And forums are supposed to be posted on. That is weird. Wow, so you're super allergic. I didn't know spiders have the same venom of bees. That is interesting. I got stung by a wasp multiple times and it did feel painful. But it didn't swell like a spider bite would with me. I guess you've got to be careful not to anger Spencer. :lol:

BabiieKakesxOx

Original Poster
he's playing king of the castle he climbed ontop of his sand burrow and is watching everything around the room. his cricket lunch tank is also next to his cage so he's proabaly thinking food now please? he's so fun to feed! its a thrill! I originally wanted a ferret but fell in love with the looks of the dragons. I've had reptiles in the past but not a lizard that will grow this big.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Definetly not mulch. He can eat it and get impacted Xp. A non loose substrate is cheaper and much easier to clean- as the fecal matter doesnt seep down and fester. I use tile myself, very easy to wipe up and looks amazing. Got 2 boxes for about 6 bucks. Another cheap but great substrate is duck brand nonadhesive shelf liner. It comes in many patterns, and can be washed easily. Both of these are long term, so cheaper than mulch, which you would need to replace often.

So I would advise tile, nonadhesive shelf liner, or repticarpet.

Your spider is adorable! So fluffy!

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
BabiieKakesxOx":2g60cjlr said:
he's playing king of the castle he climbed ontop of his sand burrow and is watching everything around the room. his cricket lunch tank is also next to his cage so he's proabaly thinking food now please? he's so fun to feed! its a thrill! I originally wanted a ferret but fell in love with the looks of the dragons. I've had reptiles in the past but not a lizard that will grow this big.

I can't help but own, birds, reptiles, bugs, dogs and cats. Rodents don't like me. We adopted these two female rats and they were way too energetic (like they drank loads of caffeine) So after two weeks we gave them back to the person we adopted them from saying, "Thank you for the offer, but these rats are way too energetic for us." I was also afraid of them thinking they would bite me. I love dogs, but can't have them till I have my own house. And I can't have cats because of our birds. So I stick with the reptiles, birds and bugs for now. Which is fine by me! :D

I got the heebie jeebies looking at that spider! I don't care for them. IIICCKKKK. LOL To each their own I suppose. I don't like snakes either. Just something about an animal with tons of legs, or no legs at all, creeps me out. He looks cool, in a picture. I would probably not come to your house though. lol Good luck with your new beardie baby. I'm fairly new here as well, and this site has helped me tons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom