New to the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destreaux

Hi everyone!
I got my first beardie in early December 2017 and now I have four!
Destreaux is my biggest boy at 19 inches long and 465 grams.
Fenix is a close second and 19 inches and about 350 grams(haven't actually weighed him).
Pharaoh is a rescue, also 19 inches long but probably closer to 300 grams. He was neglected and left by his owner. Hadn't had a heat light for at least a year and no human interaction for that long as well. Doing much better now but on the light side.
Dimples(name change pending) is my newest and hes got issues. He is about 10 inches long but his tail is chewed down about half way and he only weight 165 grams. I just found out yesterday that he has hookworms so he's being treated for those. He has some upper respiratory issues as well. Hookworms can make them pretty sick so hoping once those are gone and he can keep weight on that it will get better. The closest exotic clinic is 2 hours away from where I live. I do work and a vet clinic and have access to Baytril but have heard mixed opinions about it.
Anyways, I'm glad to be here!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a fun group. I'm glad you are able to give them all a good home. Are you able to get Fenbendazole to treat the hookworms? That tends to work well against parasites and is relatively gentile on their systems. If you have access to fecal testing equipment that would make it easier to gauge how well treatment is working. Baytril is a widely used broad spectrum antibiotic but I would hesitate to use it without taking a culture to see if it would be effective against an existing infection. Given how harsh meds can be on their systems, I'd probably treat the parasites first and then give him a break and re-evaluate once that's taken care of.

Destreaux

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ii3h9hy said:
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a fun group. I'm glad you are able to give them all a good home. Are you able to get Fenbendazole to treat the hookworms? That tends to work well against parasites and is relatively gentile on their systems. If you have access to fecal testing equipment that would make it easier to gauge how well treatment is working. Baytril is a widely used broad spectrum antibiotic but I would hesitate to use it without taking a culture to see if it would be effective against an existing infection. Given how harsh meds can be on their systems, I'd probably treat the parasites first and then give him a break and re-evaluate once that's taken care of.
That is exactly what I am doing :) He seems to be doing much better already, even with the RI. I have seen hook worms in dogs (I work at a dog/cat practice) and it takes a tole on the whole body. Today is the first day he didn't have any boogies covering his nose! So I'd call that an improvement. I also think he's putting on some grams. I will weigh him in a week and update everyone. He's been getting about 20 wax worms split between 2 or 3 feedings each day.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That does sound like an improvement, especially the cleared up nose. I advise going easy on the waxworms due to their high fat content. I'd try to mix in other worms such as black soldier fly larvae and silk worms. Other bugs including various roaches and crickets are good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stihlgirl
Top Bottom