New to the beardie world

Charlie97

Beardie name(s)
Chili
Hey guys! Just checking in on here and seeing what you guys think of my setup, I’ve had Chili for a little over a week now! He’s almost 3 months old and regrettably not from the most knowledgeable of breeders I’ve come to realize through research and excellent sources of information like this one. This site has answered almost every question I’ve had so far.

Tomorrow is his check up appointment, just to be on the safe side and I heard it’s pretty standard to do especially without knowing the breeder. When I picked him up the guy told me to feed him spinach spring mix followed by as many mealworms as he’ll eat in 10 minutes 5x a day. Thankfully I found out they’re not supposed to eat either of those things (mealworms being more of a treat) and - luckily yet not so - he didn’t have any interest in the worms or greens (kale), or much of anything at all other than baby dubias. There’s my current problem, he won’t eat anything that’s inanimate and actively avoids it when I try mixing his bugs in his salad.

I dip his bugs in calcium so he’s at least getting that, he eats between 10 to 15 a day. He likes hornworms too, I need to order some more. I just know he can’t go on not eating greens and I’m not sure how to get him to. I’ve been told to withhold his bugs til he eats his salad, but I don’t feel like that’s something I should do to a baby? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I’ll post an update following his appointment!
IMG_6806.jpeg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Welcome to the forum 🙂
Your setup looks ok.
Don't withhold bugs from a baby. A huge percentage of beardies won't eat green until later in life. It isn't idea but it is a fact. Offer green everyday though. Offer calcium once a day and a good multivitamin a few times per week. Hydrate him with an eyedropper by dripping it on his snout. I say eyedropper because the flow of water is easier to control than with a syringe. Offer water at least a couple times per week.
Feel free to ask about anything at all. Everyone here is happy to help 🙂

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Also a welcome from me :)

Regarding veggies and bugs: It is recommended to "gut-load" bugs before feeding. Basically, this means: The insects should be fed only veggies the day before they are fed to the dragon.

You can do so by having an extra small plastic container (with holes in the lid of course) where you put in carrot pieces, kale (I often use raw leftovers from the kitchen) and add as many bugs as you might feed him in a day or two.
What I'm also doing: In case nobody is at home during the day, I put in a piece of carrot in a small bowl from which bugs can't easily escape, add the bugs and put that in my dragon's enclosure. So the bugs eat on the veggies until he eats them, and as a plus, the bugs less likely crawl out of the bowl when there is food in for them.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Welcome to the community. Your boy looks adorable, don't hesitate to post some more close up shots of him. :)
Your setup looks okey, although it would be a little few opportunities for climbing to suit my boy.
Does your like elevated spots and climbing? If so, you could supply some more branches ;)
Lots of people feed and have fed mealworms as staples for years, they are not as bad as their rep. A mixed variety of different foods is probably the way to go.

Charlie97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chili
Welcome to the community. Your boy looks adorable, don't hesitate to post some more close up shots of him. :)
Your setup looks okey, although it would be a little few opportunities for climbing to suit my boy.
Does your like elevated spots and climbing? If so, you could supply some more branches ;)
Lots of people feed and have fed mealworms as staples for years, they are not as bad as their rep. A mixed variety of different foods is probably the way to go.

Attachments

• IMG_6807.jpeg
    IMG_6807.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6748.jpeg
    IMG_6748.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 23

Charlie97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chili
Thank you! I’m going to add more clutter and things to climb on, what are your thoughts on fake vines/foliage?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Such a lovely boy, those colors are gorgeous 😍

Fake vines or foliage I have no experience with, I'm afraid. But I've seen really nice tanks that use those.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I'm also not using any kind of fake plants. I opted for a large branch, stones, a climbing background, and then edible live plants (aloe vera, golliwog), and the substrate is sand (not dusty, but I wet it once in a while with a spray bottle and it hardens under the lamps just like in the nature when it rains once in a while in the desert and then the harsh sun hardens the surface; the surface feels more like on a trail and he won't sink in).

My dragon Taco does eat the golliwog (some dragons also eat the aloe), so I have in fact three golliwog plants which I rotate (one is always in the enclosure, and two grow back outside of it so he has no access to those two plants; I switch them out when about half of the plant is eaten).
If you want to take a look: I have a thread in "Enclosures" (where you can also take a look at the enclosures of other users, of course):

Last edited:

Charlie97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chili
His check up went great! Have to return with a stool sample for parasite testing, he came out weighing 28 grams! They gave him a dose of dewormer (panacur) to be on the safe side which he was not happy about

Attachments

• IMG_6837.jpeg
    IMG_6837.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 26

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
His check up went great! Have to return with a stool sample for parasite testing, he came out weighing 28 grams! They gave him a dose of dewormer (panacur) to be on the safe side which he was not happy about
Good to hear he is fine so far.
Most animals hate the vet, lol ;)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm happy the vet visit went well. He's a cutie 💓

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He is a pretty little guy/girl ! no doubt he wondered what the vets place was with a cold steel table and being given a dose of meds. Even though people recommend a vet visit , if your dragon is new it's best to let it settle in and get used to their new home, new eating schedules and have time to grow + get bigger if they are small.
Mealworms are not really good to be used as a staple for beardies, they can be a small part of a dragon's diet but not the main one for growing beardies. A small amount of spinach is O.K once in a while with a mixed salad focusing on kale, turnip greens, mustard + collard greens, arugula, spring mix and a bit of shredded squash.
A taller basking log would be good since they love to climb and it also allows them to be closer to the heat + uvb.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom