new to pvc enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Ive always used glass, as soon as my two babies out grow their 40 gal enclosures, im going to move them to two stackable pvc, 6x2x2.

What im wondering is how safe is it to screw/drill into 1/2 inch pvc ? I assume its okay, i dont know how else i would be able to effectively secure my light fixtures. It seems a lot of the enclosure sights have options to cut holes for basking light , but other then vision, as far as i can tell my domes would still sit on top, therefore not allowing me to stack them.

Forgive me if it is a silly questions, i would just rather have as much info as possible before i just start drilling into them.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
I've never worked with pvc for this particular use, but as home builder I've used pvc and plastics on a near daily basis.
You may have to be more specific with your concern of screwing into them.
To create the boxes you can cut it with nearly any saw, although any sort of powered saw will create a burning stench and debris, so eye protection is necessary.
Putting the sides together I would just use silicone or PL premium glue, tape the edges tightly until it dries. This way at least it will be sealed tight, and saves the hassle of drilling/screwing.
If you are drilling holes and have issues or concerns with cracking, try heating up the bit with a torch or lighter. I would predrill anywhere you intend to put a screw, otherwise just putting a screw straight in may cause cracking especially near edges.
If you have to hang anything I would recommend ideally being able to secure small bolts with nuts on the other side, pvc can shrink or expand so any standard screws could potentially become loose. You could I suppose predrill smaller holes than the screw diameter, fill them with glue and insert the screws.
Not sure if that was any help but if you haveore specific questions don't be shy.
You can also probably make a screen, essentially designed for screen doors and cut to your required size. Create some sort of frame (2 of them) load up the glue on frame #1, put the screen on it so that it is actually larger than the frame, compress frame #2 onto it while ensuring to keep tension on the screen...somehow. cut off excess screen around edges when it dries .
Edited many times for idea changes lol.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
syoung27":dohc65vx said:
I've never worked with pvc for this particular use, but as home builder I've used pvc and plastics on a near daily basis.
You may have to be more specific with your concern of screwing into them.
To create the boxes you can cut it with nearly any saw, although any sort of powered saw will create a burning stench and debris, so eye protection is necessary.
Putting the sides together I would just use silicone or PL premium glue, tape the edges tightly until it dries. This way at least it will be sealed tight, and saves the hassle of drilling/screwing.
If you are drilling holes and have issues or concerns with cracking, try heating up the bit with a torch or lighter. I would predrill anywhere you intend to put a screw, otherwise just putting a screw straight in may cause cracking especially near edges.
If you have to hang anything I would recommend ideally being able to secure small bolts with nuts on the other side, pvc can shrink or expand so any standard screws could potentially become loose. You could I suppose predrill smaller holes than the screw diameter, fill them with glue and insert the screws.
Not sure if that was any help but if you haveore specific questions don't be shy.

my concern would be mounting the light fixtures to the top of it, i thought about the bolt idea , the only problem is I will be stacking two enclosures on top of each other. so i guess i will have to go with the other option, predrilling and using glue, any kind of glue in particular?

syoung27

Hatchling Member
I'd use PL Premium glue. Once it's bonded it holds just about anything, it's resistant to water and will last forever.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
You could still stack them and use bolts. You just have to inset the base of the top enclosure a bit, like most tanks are that you buy in stores anyways. There's no reason for the base to be flush with the sides. This way from the outside visually the tip and bottom enclosure will still appear tight together
Hopefully you know what I mean..

I'm sure the screws would be fine, but I'm concerned with a living creature in there, once you bump it a few times and whatever else the screws can potentially loosen slowly. Once that starts eventually they'll give. Which the glue should prevent.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Im buying an already made enclosure , but if thats the way they come then ill go that way for sure. Ive never used anything other then glass or wood, i wasnt sure how these are made.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
Oh okay!
Sorry I got carried away then. From your post I assumed you were making the enclosures.
Test out the predrill, screw and glue then.
Screwing should be fine regardless, but the glue would be a safe addition.
Try and get screws with large threads if possible too. The smaller thread likely won't hold as well in pvc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom