New to me Beardie, help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Germ

Hatchling Member
I also use RepCal BD Food, just a heads up, in case you are not doing it already, pellets should be moistened prior to feeding. I just moisten mine with water. In the digestion process it takes a lot of moisture to process them dry, sucking the water/moisture stores out of the Dragon & can lead fairly quickly to dehydration.

You may also want to think about shortening his Daylight a bit. On 12-14 hrs, Off for the rest is recommended. Should be off minimum 10 hrs. On Minimum 12. And raising the Basking temp to at least 105F rather than 97F, will help the digestion much better. One of your comments left me with the impression that you may think the UVB is for digestion. The heat bulb is what aids in digestion, UVB enables it's body to manufacture Vit D3, which in turn, enables it's body to process it's much needed Calcium.

Nice looking enclosure by the way.
icon_thumright-1.gif

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
So what germ now your saying i gave wrong advice because I'm not as experienced as you guys (inapropriate word removed by moderator)and he said he went to the pet store and got a reptisun 10 compact and I said I don't think they even make compacts because they don't sell
Them
In Winnipeg I have to order offline for a reptisun so therefor I was giving him the right advice Inappropriate words removed by movderator) I even said at the beginning I will Give as much as I can I think I covered most of it maybe missed a few parts (there wasn't anything wrong with the info you gave, just watch out starting an argument, we've been here before.added by moderator)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've already made my comment on that score. Mike is working hard to make life better for toothless and there won't be anything inapproprate starting on this thread or warnings will be given. If anyone wants to talk to anyone else, use the pm on the thread. I'm hoping I wont have to intervene again. Added by moderator

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I think toothless found a great owner to help him get back to being a normal beardie. Everything you have Mike, is wonderful for him. So, when you have time, send more pics to show the difference in him. His eyes will recouperate, as the same thing happened to one of my beardies, bad UVB light, and he was right as rain with the right light within 3 days, with no reoccurance.

I can't tell you enough how glad I am that toothless found you, you're an angel, too, to take him in. The only other thing I'd mention is to give him baths often, warm water to his shoulder & you'll see that his skin will improve & if he's thirsty he'll drink. My bunch love their baths (well sort of :mrgreen: ) but they love the cuddling in the towel when I'm drying them off. Every other day is fine, too, but every day for now would be great, as he'll absorb water through his vent & a well-hydrated dragon is a healthy dragon.

Keep us all posted!
Deb

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":26z9yxu0 said:
I think toothless found a great owner to help him get back to being a normal beardie. Everything you have Mike, is wonderful for him. So, when you have time, send more pics to show the difference in him. His eyes will recouperate, as the same thing happened to one of my beardies, bad UVB light, and he was right as rain with the right light within 3 days, with no reoccurance.

I can't tell you enough how glad I am that toothless found you, you're an angel, too, to take him in. The only other thing I'd mention is to give him baths often, warm water to his shoulder & you'll see that his skin will improve & if he's thirsty he'll drink. My bunch love their baths (well sort of :mrgreen: ) but they love the cuddling in the towel when I'm drying them off. Every other day is fine, too, but every day for now would be great, as he'll absorb water through his vent & a well-hydrated dragon is a healthy dragon.

Keep us all posted!
Deb

I have misted him down 2x a day since I got him. I'll do the bath today. Thank you for all the words of encouragement.

Zeus I wanted to thank you again for all the advice and help you offered. You went out of your way to reply to a newb in an attempt to better Toothless. For that I am greatful. Regardless of the nonsense that went on while I was sleeping. I undersold the different things you were suggesting and to me that's all that matters.

As for the bickering I was under the impression the mis-info comment was directed at the pet store guy that I mentioned in an earlier thread. Regardless, of whatever the personal agendas are here I appreciate all of the tips and suggestions that have rolled in. From this thread and from reading over other threads I am certain I have Toothless living in primo conditions now.

As for pics to come, Absolutely! Tons of pics to come. I mean you guys are just as invested as me right? ;)

Mike

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Mavrick813":1c315gv6 said:
From this thread and from reading over other threads I am certain I have Toothless living in primo conditions now.

As for pics to come, Absolutely! Tons of pics to come. I mean you guys are just as invested as me right? ;)

Mike

You will learn so much on this forum, it may make your head spin. :lol: At least it did me. I am relatively new to the reptile world, having just got my first a year ago this month. Now we have 6 beardies! They are all so different and such sweet animals. I think that is why you may see a little bickering every now and then, it's just that you found a place where people have a passion for these little spikey guys, and we all want to help in our own ways.

And we love pics. We just can't get enough of seeing everyone's beardies. They are just so full of silly behaviors, and no two are alike. :mrgreen:

Germ

Hatchling Member
Germ":31qv5p6z said:
Glad to see someone correct some of the Incorrect info there are better ways to say what was said, added by moderator
icon_thumright-1.gif
In retrospect, I agree with the Mods & apologize to you Mike & the all the others on & reading the thread. I should know better ...

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Germ":klevj1xf said:
Germ":klevj1xf said:
Glad to see someone correct some of the Incorrect info there are better ways to say what was said, added by moderator
icon_thumright-1.gif
In retrospect, I agree with the Mods & apologize to you Mike & the all the others on & reading the thread.

:headbang:

Mike

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ShannyBeard":n8z6tnye said:
I think that is why you may see a little bickering every now and then, it's just that you found a place where people have a passion for these little spikey guys, and we all want to help in our own ways.

Your right about that. I have a mini zoo at my place and my animals come first and foremost. I am a member on Many different forums and I am well aware how passion can create bickering.

I use MonsterFishKeepers.com and ReefCentral.com for all my Aquaria inquiries. ATM: I have a 180 Gallon Custom Bowfront with 4 Oscars, 2 Convicts, 20 Giant Danio, and a Pterygoplichthys Gibbiceps. I have a 29G BowFront that I raise Marmorkrebs in as feeders for my Oscars, and I have a 38G that I raise Convicts in as feeders as well. Lastly I just aquired a 75G Hexagon Acrylic that I will be building a stand for and turning into a Clownfish Haven.

I also have 5 Ferrets. One of them (Sparkles) is a Breeder showpiece. She will be entering competition on May 12th at the Spring Ferret Fandango on Gilberstville, PA. Her room mates are "Sonic" "Flash" "Butterscotch" and "Tails" all Marshall Ferrets that i've picked up from either Pets Plus or Petco branded stores over the last five years. These guys are on a Blended dry food as well as some Whole Foods from my kitchen including but not limited to Chicken, Venison, Rabit, & Fish.

Then theirs Dusty, My rescue AKC Champion bloodline Cocker Spaniel. I was at Petsmart for the PittBull awareness rescue and one of the members of the Pittbull club had this Cocker Spaniel running around with her little girls. I was going to inquire if he was up for adoption but the G/F gave me the "Don't you dare" look. so we left, As we got in the car she was like "Fine, go get him!" So I called and they told me how he wasn't really the best candidate for adoption. That he was donated to the cause by a an award winning local breeder because he was born with a stage 4 heart murmur on his left Aorta and that he was nothing but vet bills in the making. He couldn't be neutered because he would have adverse reaction to Anesthetic that could kill him. I chuckled and responded by telling her that my youngest child Jason, was born with Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) and that I kept him. The lady stammered around a bit and then dropped "Dusty" off an hour later to my front door.

We also have. "A Turtle" this was an impulse buy, completely uninformed. I went to an Exotics show down in Daytona Fla. While their my Oldest was 2 years old. I was talking to a guy about getting him a small turtle that he could chase around in the living room on the floor inside of his play area. The guy directed me to these cute little golf ball sized tortoises. He went on to sell me a small 10G aquarium, colored sand, a light, a couple of dishes etc etc. When I got home back in NJ I found out that I purchased a Sulcotta. And everything I bought with him was wrong. Their just so happens to be a guy that works at my local Pet store that breeds Sulcottas and he got me on the right path. "A Turtle" as my son proudly named him at 2 years old is now 39Lbs and lives in a custom pen underneath of my sons Loft Bed. My son is now 7 1/2

Then theirs my pond out front, 14' Long x 4' Wide by 4' Deep, it's decommissioned ATM: due to a nephew that destroyed it. I will be rebuilding it in the spring.

We also have a myriad of other animals in the house, 2 parakeets, 2 Ball Pythons, 1 Corn Snake, 1 Cat, 1 16G Biocube,A MaltiPoo, a Dingo, and a small 5G tank with a couple of Carnival Goldfish winnings. I care for the Goldfish, & the Parakeets but I don't claim them because I would have never brought them home to begin with.

Mike

PS: Toothless Update. He's been moving all over in his enclosure this morning, BOTH of his eyes have been open all morning, The timer on the UVB seems to be the ticket. 30 Minutes on, and 15 off. I am going to go out and get him a couple of dozen crickets, I offered him Veg (Collards and Kale) but he didn't touch it. I also offered him some SuperWorms but he has ignored them.

Also the rock that he is basking on in this picture below has a surface temp of 120*F, the bulb above it is a 60W Basking Bulb. I am aware this temp is way to high of a surface for him to be laying on. I have 2 options, 1 Get a thinner rock. Currently the rock he's on is 2 1/4" thick. If I replace this rock with say a 1/4" thick piece of slate tile that will lower the surface 2" from the bulb. Do we think this will allow the tile to stay cooler? OR should I also reduce the basing bulb to a 40W bulb ATM: their is 6" between the bulb and the rock. When I switch the rock it will be 8" between them.

The rest of the Temp Zones are very nice. 78*F on the top surface of his cave, 81*F inside the cave. Water rests at 74*F, The surface of his Perch sits at 91*F and the Ambient Temp moves between 99-103*F on the basking side and 85-89*F on the other side.

Lastly. I modified my Sulcottas bowl with an Aerator you would use for a fish tank. It has encouraged him to drink as it's not still. Is this practice commonly used on Dragons? I haven't seen Toothless go anywhere near his water bowl. I did however find out that he's not to keen on the Luke Warm Bath idea. But he endured a 10 minute soak none the less.

Germ

Hatchling Member
In my opinion, 6", even 8" to a bare, unprotected Bulb is too close. Too much chance of it touching it & getting burned. Difficult to visualize how your setup is now, as it is changed around in your pics.

The aerator idea will just add unwanted humidity to the enclosure. Many/most of us don't provide water dishes, very few will drink from them anyway & again it raises the enclosure humidity. Regular misting, regular soaks (It will get used to them, possibly even learn to like them) & it's greens will provide ample hydration.

Germ

Hatchling Member
Another method of adjusting temperature, moving the basking spot off to the side, off center of directly below the bulb will also drop the temp a bit. Using a Cave or Hide as the Basking spot, can produce an oven like environment inside with very little air flow, should it crawl inside.

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, so the water bowl is comin out. The bulb was a 75W it's been replaced with a 50W. I'm at home dept now looking for an idea on how to make a bulb guard. I'll off center the basking rock. And I'll post a final layout pic in a little while.

Mike

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Mavrick813":31zbkui7 said:
Ok, so the water bowl is comin out. The bulb was a 75W it's been replaced with a 50W. I'm at home dept now looking for an idea on how to make a bulb guard. I'll off center the basking rock. And I'll post a final layout pic in a little while.

Mike

You're getting a lot of good advice here, but I will second getting rid of the water bowl. None of my bearded dragons have one, either. Mine get 20 minute soaks in the sink 2-3 times a week and they seem well-hydrated. Granted I live in Florida and we don't need any raise in humidity in those vivs. :shock:

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
I used to use a water dish but it's like everyone else said it useless andIt's. A waste of Space Unless U see him actually using it that's a different thing but if not Take It out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom