New to beardies. Head shivering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
its good you got rid of the sand. paper towells can shift around with big dragons. try pinning them down with heavy tank decor, particularly around the corners/edges. be sure to wash any tank decor he poops on as well.

about tile: make sure it has a TEXTURE. rub your finger across the material in question; does it feel smooth like plastic or gritty like fine sand paper?

i use both ceramic and natural stone tiles in my vivs, but i prefer the natural ones. natural stone has somewhat of an absorbancy. the stone doesnt absorb the smell of the poo, it just holds the stuff in place untill you can clean it up. the liquid part of the dragons poo doesnt migrate across slate as much as it does on a ceramic tile.

have you checked out the DIY section of the forums? lots of good ideas in there. if you want i could post some pics of my own tiled vivs.

misslacie788

Original Poster
The porcelain is rough just like the the slate tile. I was just wondering whether or not to get the glazed or unglazed? The unglazed is heartier, can take more wear, the glazed has the same stone-like texture. I was wondering about voc's or fumes from glazes?

misslacie788

Original Poster
So.. Before this huge storm hit in the PNW (US) I was just able to put the tile down in his viv and ordered the Megaray like suggested but it is back-ordered. :cry: I have been bathing him every other day, still not eating a whole lot maybe 4 superworms and the occasional cricket every second to every third day (no fruit or veggies?). He is pooping the day after he eats though it seems a little loose, like long and slimy-ish? I also talked to his previous owner and she said he has never really been a voracious eater since he was about 13 months. He is still loving to cuddle and wants to walk around on the floor. And because of this big storm all of my herp vets in town are only taking what they deem "emergency cases" and my Norbert is not considered high risk, so I have to wait until next Wednesday... err I tried talking all 3 into just doing a fecal until they could get me in but noooooo :banghead:

<Off-topic>
Oh and he seems to hate baths/water. He showed me his beard then scrambled up my arm. I felt bad but was excited to see him beard for the first time. Also, his 3rd birthday is Christmas Day, any suggestions for a healthy tasty treat?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Great you got the tile down and the Megaray ordered.He is still going through some relocation stress I bet so the eating and runny poop can be a little expected.I thinkd Weds would be fine with the vet.Your probably better off not getting the fecal until then anyway as his coccidia levels will be high right now because of his new environment.You are really doing wonderfully with him.He will get used to the baths eventually.He probably hasnt had too many before you got him so they are new to him.As for the Yummy Birthday Treats.You could get him some nice fat hornworms,silkworms,or butterworms as a treat.I am sure he would like any of those :D You could also get him a little SOY yogurt,blueberry is the fav around my house but again make sure its soy.

misslacie788

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help and suggestions I just ordered some hornworms from Great Lakes overnight so they'll be here by then. Also, I have heard good things about Reptaid in the Forsale board.. Do you have any thoughts on that?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
misslacie788":e8d58 said:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions I just ordered some hornworms from Great Lakes overnight so they'll be here by then. Also, I have heard good things about Reptaid in the Forsale board.. Do you have any thoughts on that?
You know I am not really familiar at all with that product.I saw the for sale add but its new and myself personally I generally hold off until its been proven safe and effective.I like repta-aid critical care formula personally.Its good stuff,been around for years and thats what I use when my babies are not feeling well.

misslacie788

Original Poster
8 supers and 4 crickets until he turned his nose up at them. Woo. Not basking though after he ate them hiding in his "house"?!?!? I'll hold him for a while to get him to warm up... Still freaks me out he may not digest properly if he doesn't bask after eating right?

sensi

my lizard is doing the saame thing. she kinda shivers her head. what does it mean? is she just cool?

misslacie788

Original Poster
My vet says it depends on your dragon. If you have a perfect set up (at first, I didn't), he/she is eating "normally," you are supplementing correctly, and all other ailments aside, it could be a learned behavior or it could be a neurological disorder. I would suggest getting a fecal done at the very LEAST. My dragon still does it from time to time, not like he did when I had that stupid reptiglo 10.0. I had the works done on my dragon at the vet and he checks out, a little on the skinny side, but healthy. I really don't know enough to be giving much advice. Do take your dragon in for a check-up and fecal though.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
do you think he could be shedding? I know that skyler gets really crazed and rubs around in her hide all day when she is about to shed. like today she was cold to the touch and hiding in her hide. I know shes ready to shed beucase her head and tail have turned grey. head and tail are usually the first to start with her. gl on the hornworms!! those things look awesome. too expensive for me though :oops:

Fogles

Juvie Member
My uncles beardie's head shook like that, eventually died..it was calcium deficiency. Make sure you are dusting his food with calc powder (my uncle did not)

misslacie788

Original Poster
So..... I just got my MegaRay, they are soooo back-ordered but Bob managed to find me a 160 watt (for free! ..once I explained my situation) in place of the 100 watt until they get more in. After 10 minutes Norbert decided out of the blue to eat his salad, and now his head is turning yellow after about 3 hours (he only had yellow around his eyes before). And his stress marks are finally starting to fade to nothing! YAY! And he is eating like a champ. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom