New to beardies. Head shivering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to beardies and I bought a 3 y/o male beardie from a friend going off to college. He "seems healthy" but his head shivers? Not really a twitch or bobbing and I can't find a thing on it. I made a doctor's appointment, only opening monday, but I want to know now. I know his florescent bulb was out for a while and she didn't use any supplement. I bought a new repti-glo 10.0 florescent light and got him some rep-cal. He also has a heat lamp and moonlight lamp, bought brand new bulbs for ALL. He ate fine Saturday and Sunday (dusted superworms) but now he won't eat anything! I just gave him a warm bath and he drank a bunch of water. I think he might also be starting to brumate? Oh I just don't know and I am so upset. Help?!?!

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
ill contact a moderator for you, in the mean time TURN OFF that REPTIGLO 10.0...

ReptiGlo 10.0 are dangerous bulbs and have been the cause of many problems for members on this site.

my best recomendations are to get a refund on that bulb and to get a ReptiSun 10.0 instead. ReptiSun is made by ZooMed, look for that brand.

what are your temps in the cage?

what are you using to measure the temps?

are you using sand or some other partical substrate?

as i said, ill get a moderator to help you further... hang in there :wink: .

misslacie788

Original Poster
I have a 40 gal breeder and was told the repti-sun wouldn't get enough uvb to my dragon because it's like 11 inches from where he is? It's abut 77 on the cool side and 103 in the basking spot. I have one of those infrared thermometers with the little red beam? I got one through my work. Is that wrong? I got some zoo-med repti-sand for him. It came highly recommended from a local breeder. And he HATES sleeping in the sand, too cold? I put a tea towel (no loops so his nails don't catch) and he loves it. I am also keeping my room no less than 70, just in case.

misslacie788

Original Poster
I should also say it is NOT a compact bulb. I heard bad things about them... Not that I picked a good one though either...

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
Well first laet me say the vet visit is needed so its good you have an appointment.Since the reptiglo10.0 is linear and 11 inches away you dont have to turn it off as long as you have a bright white light beside however JScott is correct in telling you the bulb is not a good one.At the distance you have you are fairly safe in avoiding damage to the eyes however at tat distance it isnt emitting the uvb needed to get him or keep him healthy.I would still get the reptisun and try to arrange for him to be able to get within 6-8 inches of it OR you could go with an MVB which is what I recommend.A mercury vapor bulb emits both high quality UVB and heat at the same time and has a distance requirement of 12 inches for the 100 watt or 18 inches for the 160 watt.In a tank your size I would go with the 100 watt.The tree top brands IMO in order from best to worst are the Megaray(reptileuv.com),the TRex Active Heat,Power Sun and SolarGlo(dont confuse with sunglo).You are correct the compacts are not good bulbs at all is definately stay away from those.In regards to the sand get rid of it,around her we call it death sand.It has HUGE impaction risks and since he hates it he wont miss it.Stick with solid substrates like papertowels,repticarpet(not my fav),non adhesive shelf liner,or ceramic/slate tile.The towel for sleeping is great and I would leave it in there even after you switch out the sub.This also could be a neurological issue but the vet will have to determine this would bloodwork.He will most likely prescribe liquid calcium but if he doesnt you should consider ordering some online to help boost him up.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
misslacie788":10099 said:
Thank you for all your help. I have my new shopping list and I'm off.. lol
Great please keep us posted and let us know how the vet visit goes. :D

misslacie788

Original Poster
Just a tiny update. I did turn off that ReptiGlo 10.0 bulb even though I do have a bright light next to it. I didn't want to risk it. His tail is curled slightly and he is more interested in what's going on around him. Hopefully he'll feel well enough to eat tomorrow. Oh I am so happy. No more "shivering" either? Maybe that light was hurting his eyes and caused the shiver as a reaction?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
That is definately possible those bulbs are quite harsh.You may even want to leave the uvb off for 24 hours before putting the new one on just to give his eyes time to heal.Did you get a new one yet?Where is the drawing you promised :wink:

misslacie788

Original Poster
I bought the reptisun 10.0 for now because he has been without a uvb for so long and I rearranged his furniture so he is closer to the bulb. The cashier didn't want to return it, she said that I had absolutely no proof that was causing problems with my Norbert, and because I had used it, I couldn't return it. Well, no where on the return policy did it say that, I think she was just being pissy. So I asked for the store manager and he returned it no problem (still ranted on how I was amazed they would carry such a DANGEROUS product). He said he would look into the product and he that woman the back for a "quick chat." YAY.

I gave him a warm bath today and dripped water on his nose for drop by drop for like 10 minutes until he stopped licking. Think he is dehydrated or do they normally drink that much if you let them? He ate 3 superworms and 1 cricket (dusted of course) doesn't look like he ate any of his salad though. He does seem way more upbeat but I am still keeping the appointment because I don't think she ever had him looked over. I want him healthy, I love him so much already. I had no idea beardies could sweep you off your feet so fast!

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
its alright to offer him plenty of water and if he laps it up from a dropper, even better. just give him gaps to breathe. maybe drop about 5 drops on his tounge then let him breath for about 10-15 seconds. when he starts licking his lips after getting his breath, offer more.

out of my 3 dragons, only LG drinks from a dropper. the other two get all their moisture from veggies, crickets and baths.

it is pretty easy to get attached to these guys. carefull, you might end up like the rest of us with houses FULL of enclosures :roll: ... it smells like a pet store every night when i first get home :lol: .

misslacie788

Original Poster
I don't know about that, Norbert is pretty demanding of getting his cuddle time in. When I walk by or sit next to his enclosure he'll run to the glass and "paw" at it until I hold him. Such a lil' heart-breaker. :)

misslacie788

Original Poster
I threw out that sand like you sand and right now I have paper towels until I find a proper tile. Would porcelain tile made to look like stone be okay as a tile sub? Glazed or unglazed? Both ways are impervious to water, stain resistant, and hygienic. Or should I go with real slate or something? I don't want to have to fiddle with his nails....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom