New to beardeds :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am very new to bearded dragons, and am very glad to have found this forum! I have poked around a bit and there are tons of topics with tons of threads - will take me forever to read it all :) So I apologize if I ask things that have already been discussed...

Before getting this lil guy, I did a bunch of research on the internet, and thought I was quite informed -- but now that I have him, it seems a whole new ball game (nb: I use 'him' rather loosely - not sure if its a he or she yet)

Hopefully some kind soul(s) will share their knowledge so that I can raise him proper...first let me tell you a bit about 'him'!

I've had him for a week now.
the pet store told me he was about 2 months old
he is about 4 1/2 inches long - i'm guessing here - he's so squirmy its hard to measure him :)
tank temperature: basking area about 92, cools down to 70 at night.

One of my concerns is that he doesnt seem to eat as much as it seems he should? I understand he should eat a few crickets a couple times a day? This guy only eats 2-3 every second day!!!! aaahh!
I've read that they should be fed outside of thier home, as crickets should not be left in the tank with the bearded. So I take him out and put him in a bucket with the crickets. He is usually pretty un-interested in the crickets :-(

I have salad in his tank for him also - but haven't seen him eat it at all - wtih the exception of a piece of dandilion leaf I hand fed him...
I
Currently he is in a 20 gal. tank - which I know will need to be upgraded very soon - plan on doing that in the next couple of weeks.
The tank has sand on the bottom -- the pet store has all thiers in sand, and assure me that this is fine for him. BUT - I've read a few posts and am now panicking that this may NOT be good for him! I have the paper shredder ready - do I need to get rid of the sand???

How often do I need to mist this lil guy? Daily? The first time I did, he seemed to love it, and licked the drops that ran down his nose. Today though, when I misted him, he sat bolt upright, then reared up like a horse and was thrashing at the mist! He eventually fell off his log doing this! and then ran around the tank like a mad man! Did I make him mad???

I'm also not sure about his poops. How do I know if they are 'normal'? Today after he ate 2 whole crickets, I put him back in the tank. He went straight to a corner, stood upright, and pooped. It seemed kind of whitish. Is this normal? (oh man...never thought I would be asking a forum about dragon poop! lol)

He spends 98% of the time in his tank basking. He doesn't seem to wander around a whole lot... pretty normal too? Although when we take him out to handle him he gets very active - loves to try and squirm away and run around - wow he's fast! :)

Sorry for going on so long...apparently I have lots to learn! :)
I'm really looking forward to hearing from anyone, and appreciate your comments!

Kind Regards from Canada

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
He is probably basking all the time because he can't get warm enough. His basking area should be more like 100-110. cool side like 80. This could be a big part of why he's not eating too. Are you using UVB? They NEED UVB. I would probably take him off the sand. You should mist him a couple times a day. You should also give him a bath everyday for 5-10 minutes. What kind of salad are you using? The white in his poop is urate. Did he also have green or brown?

cashmere_cat

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply!!!

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention I AM using UV light also.
Will clear out the tank and remove the sand tonight. I've heard that shredded newspaper works well too? Would you agree that is a good substrate for him?

For the temperature, I'm not real sure how to increase it? I guess I need to buy a different light, and put a different (higher watt) bulb in? If I'm having trouble getting this small tank warm enough for him -- how will i keep a large tank hot?

For misting him, that really seemed to tick him off today. Maybe I'll try a finer mist :) Just a few squirt will do - to moisten him?

I am still experimenting with salads... today I chopped up some Kale, some dandilion leaves, shredded some carrot and added some teeny bits of blueberries and strawberries....

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
I have personally never used newspaper, although I hear it works well. You could even used paper towel or shelfliner. Then you don't have to wory about ink rubbing off. Are you also using a basking light in addition to the UV light? If so, what wattage and how close can he get to the lights? What UV do you have, it should be at least 8.0 or 10.0

cashmere_cat

Original Poster
So just lay a single layer of paper towel on the bottom - thats it?

Yes, I use a basking light - thats how the temp gets to be around 90. I have a round, reptile thermometer on the floor - and it shows 90. But he basks on a log that is 4 inches off the ground - and puts him 6 inches away from the heat and UV. The UV seems to say "7%" - no good?
Its a 50 watt bulb..

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
Your light is probably o.k. You actually want to put your thermometer where he would bask, so it should be closer to the top of the branch. I'm sure your temps are higher there. What kind of thermometer are you using? If it's the sticky kind, they usually aren't very accurate. Do you know how many watts the basking light is? Yes, just put a layer of paper towel down. Then you can just pull it out and put clean when needed.

cashmere_cat

Original Poster
The thermometer is not a stick on strip -- its a round reptile one..

The basking light is a 50 watt. Maybe I should consider getting a higher watt bulb - guess he can always move if he gets too warm. Maybe thats why he's not so active...he's staying warm...?

What do you think of the under tank heaters? I've heard some say dont use them - and other say they are great...

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
you are probably going to need a 75watt basking light. i wouldn't do an under the tank heater, they can burn themselves. after you get the new bulb i'm sure you'll notice a huge difference.

cashmere_cat

Original Poster
Thank you thank you for all your help! I'm off to get a new bulb for him! I am anxious to see him thrive and grow - hopefully the additional heat will be what he needs to start eating better and becoming more active :)

Cheers!

Superman8411

Hatchling Member
I know how your feeling i just got a little guy on the 11th and he isn't eating all that much it was up to 4-6 crickets a day now its down to 3-4...I have silkies coming in the mail they were sent out today i'm hoping that turns things around with eating...I hear there better then crickets anyways although i understand that there poop gets alittle runny...I have a UVB reptiglo 8.0 and a 100W day time light with his basking temps at about 105 degrees...today i just bought a digital tempeture gauge with probe from walmart for 13$ in the kitchen section....cool side of tank is 82degrees...I have greens in there fresh everyday but he doesn't seem to eat any of it so i'm gonna mix worms in with it to try to get him started...I mist a couple times a day and he gets a bath everyday he is only 5 1/2inches long...

well im new to this so i understand how your feeling...its hard to get them going also alittle of it can be because there new to there new home...mine also eye bulges alot at least once a day maybe 2 sometimes...so maybe he is getting ready to shed some skin....well i feel your pain

cashmere_cat

Original Poster
Yup! sounds like we are definitely in the same boat! Got my BD on the 11th also, so I'm sure he's adjusting to his new home. But he is no where near that many crickets a day. So far I can only get him to eat about 3-4 every second day!
hmm..silkies...are those silk worms? Are they recommended for a guy as young as mine - only 2 months old??

hopefully getting him more heat will be the answer to a happy dragon!

Superman8411

Hatchling Member
Heres a picture of the little one.....
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/superman8411/0715061322.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/superman8411/0718061417.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/superman8411/IMG_3311.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/superman8411/0718061424a.jpg

yeah there silkworms and everything i have read or been told there great for them and alot of people use them...i just ordered medium size ones 1/2-1inch in lengh...also the pet store said mine was 3 months old but people on here said more like 2 months tops 5 1/2inches long

cashmere_cat

Original Poster
Hi! Thought I would post a bit of an update today...
I got the higher watt bulb last night, and I think I can start to see a bit of a difference already :)
This morning he seemed more active and was roaming around the encl. more. He munched on a bit of salad, and ate 3 crickets. (still doesn't seem like enough to me, but I'll try again in a few hours? or how often do I try?)

The temp in the basking area has gone up to about 107. I still cant seem to get it to 110. Will 107 be warm enough??
How on earth do you all get your larger tanks to get warm enough??

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
107 should be fine. just see how he does with that. as long as he seems to thrive. what kind of basking area do you have? i didn't scroll up to see if you said before. if it's something that holds heat well, he will definately be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom