new tank supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all, I just got a new tank for my beardies. I now need a uvb bulb and heat lamp for the new tank, the tank is 13 inches wide and four feet long, we also would like to get a sand substrate that could be enough for my beardies stella and roscoe to bury themselves in. also, stella loves to climb and roscoe loves to hide, is there anything I coud get to fill their needs? the lizards also like to attack the window and birds behind their cage, could I get a desert background for that? if you find anything, could you give me the link to the website you find it on? or if you live in colorado could you give me the city/town, store, and address? also, is it okay for my beardies to have direct sunlight?here's a picture of it right now.
full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This UVB light would be very good for a tank that size http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/. You'll definitely want a T5 tube mounted over the basking area. I also suggest a dome fixture with a bright white basking light. The ZooMed Repti Basking Spot light is a good one. Probably 150w to get the temps right. I use a GE PAR38 halogen flood light 90w and like it quite a lot as a basking bulb so that's a good option too. I like the zoomed adjustable lamp stands because it makes it easier to raise and lower the dome fixture to adjust temps as needed. It might be a good idea to put it on a lamp dimmer or thermostat as well because the sunlight coming in through the window could really heat the tank up a lot so keep a close eye on temps. I use a herpstat2 to control the output of the lighting in my tank based on a two temperature probes and it works very well to ensure it doesn't overheat.

Your tank is a little narrow at 13''. I suggest using a wider tank because a full size dragon may have trouble turning in such a small space. I'd get one that is at least 2' deep. It's best to get them each a separate tank too as they may start competing for resources and may get violent when enclosed in the same space. You can set up stackable enclosures that would work pretty well for two dragons and save a bit on space.

For substrate I use ceramic tile. I put in scraps of fleece which works well for digging and burrowing while being sanitary and easy to throw in the washer and clean if needed. Sand is tougher to keep clean so I avoid it.

I have a background on my tank that is a large format print of a photo I took of their natural habitat in Australia. I just had it print and cut to the dimensions of the tank and it works well. I can send a full size version if you want to use it.
76248-8554232800.jpg

This is on one side
76248-658694921.jpg

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, are Stella and Roscoe living together? If so, they'll need to be separated immediately- beardies are solitary creatures that do NOT do well together. For a background, there are many things. Like CooperDragon, you could just use a photo blown up, you could use aquarium backgrounds, or anything similar to this (you can find stuff like this on places like Amazon, Petsmart, and Petco)

ghostarcherbeardie

Original Poster
they are babies and are suppposed to grow up together until mature. when tey are mature and are ready for mating they will be mating paired.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
ghostarcherbeardie":1pmhs7my said:
they are babies and are suppposed to grow up together until mature. when tey are mature and are ready for mating they will be mating paired.

Please separate them. If you want to breed them (which I would HIGHLY discourage) then fine, but right now they need to be separated.One will be dominate, hogging all the food, UV, and heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom