New tank for Hiccup ?'s about UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just ordered a new tank for Hiccup from Zen Habitats- its a 4x2x2 or 120 gallon- it is quite a bit bigger than the 50 gallon I have him in now- so now I have a question about UVB -- the one I have now is a 18 inch Reptisun 10.0 -- what size should I put in there now? The sides and back are made out of bamboo which they say hold the heat better than glass - the basking bulb I have now is a 100 watt Zoo Med so I am wondering if I am gonna haft to decrease the wattage on that -- guess that will haft to be a trial and error thing -- suggestions would be helpful

thanks Karrie

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Is it a t5? If it’s a t5 then you need half to 3/4s length of viv so either the 22” tube usually for t5 that is roughly a 24” fitting , or the next one up which is roughly 36”.

In my 4x2x2 I’m using a 22” Arcadia 12% t5

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Its a T8-- I want to switch to a T5 Arcadia but they dont make them for a 18 inch -- so I can switch now to a Arcadia T5 and it should be a 24" ? ok will look into that next---

thanks for the help
Karrie

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
KarrieRee":fl3aqj2f said:
I just ordered a new tank for Hiccup from Zen Habitats- its a 4x2x2 or 120 gallon- it is quite a bit bigger than the 50 gallon I have him in now- so now I have a question about UVB -- the one I have now is a 18 inch Reptisun 10.0 -- what size should I put in there now? The sides and back are made out of bamboo which they say hold the heat better than glass - the basking bulb I have now is a 100 watt Zoo Med so I am wondering if I am gonna haft to decrease the wattage on that -- guess that will haft to be a trial and error thing -- suggestions would be helpful

thanks Karrie
TERRIFIC BUY!! I have the same enclosure and Sydney LOVES it. I'll post a pic of my enclosure -- I have a 22" arcadia 12% (t5 HO) with a reflector in it, then 2 separate basking spots.

100764-9445848278.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tank looks great! I just donated my 50 gallon to a girl in the cities who had posted on craigslist that she needed help - she has a baby who she got from her boyfriend that wasnt taking care of it properly so she took it- he/ she is in a 10 gallon w/ no heat and no UVB and no food so to speak -- she had no money till end of Dec- so I packed up a extra 18 " UVB I had a extra dome light fixture - some small dubias the smallest I had - a wood log and my IF gun and my cricket keeper-- drove down to the cities - about 90 miles from my house - met her at Pet Supplies plus and bought her a 100 crickets and probe temp gauge some cricket food and a 75 watt basking bulb --- -- it came to about $30 --- gave her this website address --- -- when my tank comes in I plan to take the one I have now down to her and get her set up---

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Oh wow that is so so kind of you
You were her (and the bubba beardies) Christmas miracle I’m sure!
Good on you doing something so generous and kind

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
KarrieRee":1hfw6gjy said:
Tank looks great! I just donated my 50 gallon to a girl in the cities who had posted on craigslist that she needed help - she has a baby who she got from her boyfriend that wasnt taking care of it properly so she took it- he/ she is in a 10 gallon w/ no heat and no UVB and no food so to speak -- she had no money till end of Dec- so I packed up a extra 18 " UVB I had a extra dome light fixture - some small dubias the smallest I had - a wood log and my IF gun and my cricket keeper-- drove down to the cities - about 90 miles from my house - met her at Pet Supplies plus and bought her a 100 crickets and probe temp gauge some cricket food and a 75 watt basking bulb --- -- it came to about $30 --- gave her this website address --- -- when my tank comes in I plan to take the one I have now down to her and get her set up---
That's really, really nice of you! I am a HS science teacher and a fellow science teacher had an adult beardie get dumped in her room a month ago. I guess the student's mother was evicted from her house and the beardie was SOL (over 90% of my students live in poverty, it's sad). The teacher called me up from the pet store, with noooo idea what to do, and it just so happened that I had multiple vacant set-ups lying around my house - lol. The owner left the beardie with a 100 watt basking bulb and that is it - so, I brought everything in the next day to set her up (he also named it Mike, but she is definitely a female - Mikayla now). I took her to my place for 2 weeks initially to fatten her back up, and now she rotates between school and my place. She is a tiny bit of a mess, but is doing much, much better now.

Once the student's housing situation steadies up, and he can afford to feed her, she will be given back. Selfishly, I was thinking about getting a Zero when that enclosure was empty.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thankfully I caught this one before it died! He / She was on her most of the 3 days she gotten it -- trying to stay warm and not eating much - she was trying to feed it meal worms- dried and would only eat a little - I told her no more meal worms and she said she had read up on it and she wasnt going to give him any more- I kinda gave her a crash course in beardies 101 - she has my cell # so she can text me or call me anytime-- he / she is a baby only maybe 4 inches or so -- my husband set the tank up w/ the lighting and all -- he sat under the basking light for quite a while when we were there and then we tried to feed him some crickets - 2 to see what he would do - he was watching them but hadnt gone for them yet -- she has paper towels in the tank which is good --- and she knows not to use sand- my tank has tile in it so she will get the tile -- I am getting tile for the new tank when it comes-
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
=( That's sad to hear. Thank you for trying though! Sometimes they are just in too rough of shape and aren't able to bounce back.

jooge01

Hi Sydney, I actually just ordered the same tank and am looking for bulb suggestions. Any particular reason you decided on that placement for your UVB? I was planning on just mounting it centered. What are the reflectors for exactly? Thanks!

jooge01

frederickajordan":1g5gw664 said:
I just ordered one too!!! I'm having a hard time finding a surface to put it on. Any ideas?

Fred, not sure I understand your question. What are you referring to exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom