New reptiles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flutter

I've not been on here in ages, but since my last visit my reptile family has grown. I started out with just Steve. Since then I've got another beardie that I named Stephanie.

She was a rescue, in a terrible state when I first got her; she was mucky, smelly (the smell was that bad I was nearly vomiting as I bathed her), cold, underfed, and the only thing she'd eaten her whole life was juvenile bearded dragon food (those dry pellets!) and mealworms. She now eats like...... well nothing I've ever seen before! The other day she chowed down a whole box of crickets and 2 handfuls of grated veg. She was a shy little thing, little energy, and just had that lethargy that unloved abandoned pets have. Then I introduced her to Steve, and she's like a new dragon! Just seeing him though her viv door purked her up, then once I knew she was well enough they use to run around the living room together, and now they live together. He cheers her up, and he's different too; he eats more and runs about more, he's learning a lot from her; they're definitely happier together which is weird. I always thought Steve liked being alone, and wouldn't like other dragons, but he's really taken a shine to her :)

As well as my new beardie (Stephanie!), I've got a few other reptiles since last time: an albino leopard gecko, a collared lizard, a dragon agama and an African house snake. As well as a few insects: various cockroaches, marbled mantid, chilli rose tarantula, and emperor scorpion.

Hopefully I'll get up some pics of them all on here soon!

P.S. I have a spare 4ft viv, any ideas of other stuff to put in it? (stuff I don't already have)

flutter

Original Poster
Yeah. I'm considering another beardie. I have a spare viv and it's another rescue I'm looking at, I just don't live that close to her. As well as the distance the dragon I want to rescue has MBD, which doesn't bother me, I just don't want to jump head first into rescue and end up with a dragon that I have no idea how to care for. Mild MBD I can deal with, I'm awaiting the current owners to send me a pic so I can see the extent of the MBD, and then I can look up if I can deal with her MBD. So I might be getting a new beardie!

Is anyone on here particularly good with MBD, and will to help, so that if I do get this rescue I can get some advice?

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
There are plenty of people well experienced in beardie care (I'm not that experienced in MBD personally) but If you took her in, I'm sure we'd be able to advise you on any delimmas. :)

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
If you don't end up getting the beardie a monitor could live comfortably in a 4ft viv, at least for a little bit anyway!

-Kaleen

flutter

Original Poster
The beardie went to someone else. I just hope it'll be ok! Poor thing, it had MBD and the current owners had never given it UV light :cry:

I think I'll save the 4ft viv for when I next see a frilled lizard (a baby one). I really want one! :blob8:

I want a tegu eventually, and that will be only larger lizard we have. In my current house it's not really fair to keep a big lizard like a monitor or a tegu as it is a terraced house and each floor of the house is only small, so not really enough room to roam, seen as they can't go upstairs/downstairs to wander lol. In my current pet room, it would be confined to the small pet room and the bathroom, the other bedroom on that floor has a step to it. Plus it's a rented house!

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Frilled dragons are cool looking. I hear they can be a lot of work to calm down and get them to warm up to you.There are some educational videos on youtube I was watching a while back about them, and they are really awesome little creatures. I hope you're able to find one!

-Kaleen

-

flutter

Original Poster
They have one where I get most of my reptiles, but its not a baby. I like having things from as young as possible, so I know its super tame with me, I know its behaviour and I know its history. Like if Steve the dragon got sick, I could give the vet his entire history because I've had him since 7 weeks old. You never know what's happened to older pets before they were yours and that worries me.

flutter

Original Poster
I filled my 4ft viv. I got a blue tongue skink! It's about 2 weeks old, adorable little thing! I'm still keeping a look out for baby frilled lizards though :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom