new owner, really worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmc3213

I got my bearded dragon about a month ago. I dont know how old she is, but she is almost 9 inches now. I have a few things that I am worried about with her. I'll explain the set up first though. She is in a 60 gallon tank, 2 logs to climb on under the heat lamp, heat gradient is about 80- 101, eco carpet, clean water dish everyday, and food dish. First I fed her crickets, but I couldnt stand them. So, I switched to silk worms and now I'm using super worms. When I went to the reptile store I asked for small super worms, knowing that they need to be the size in between her eyes, and the guy said that it doesnt really matter. So I have been feeding her morning and night about 2-3 full size super worms per meal. At first, I was reall worried about the size of the worms but she ended up doing fine with them and passsing them good. But, a few days ago she shed for the first time with me. Then, she did'nt eat for about a day. The next time she ate she threw it up and now for the past few days her color has been very dark. I dont know if this is normal or not, but her ribs also seem to be sticking out a lot since she threw up. I have been giving her 15 min baths a day for a few days to help her rehydrate from throwing up. I feel really stupid for feeding her big super worms. I'm getting her smaller ones asap. Could that cause all this?? :( Basicaly my questions are how do I get her to eat veggies, why has her coloring been so dark, why do her ribs stick out, and why does she seem so skittish sometimes??? I hope I havent done this to her by feeding her too big of food :((. I am so worried that I am doing something wrong! Please help me!! thank you so much!!

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
can you tell us about how big she is head to tail end?
what is her substrate and are you using UVB bulb and basking bulb>
what is the basking spot temperature
what is the cool side temp? Hot side temp (basking spot and hot side are 2 different temps usually)
Supers are not meant for those under 16" long. Mealworms are not good for them. Silkworms or phoenixworms actually the best. As for the salad, just offer each day eventually they will eat it

also make sure to dust feeders with caclium 1x/ day with 2-3 feedings each day (do calcium 5 days and vitamins 2day for one feeding)
hope this helps some

cmc3213

Original Poster
9 inches head to tail
substrate is eco carpet
just a UVB
basking spot is 101 and cool side 79
I dust calcium during the weekdays and multivitamin weekends
I will switch back to silk worms then!! Thank you!

MissT

BD.org Addict
What kind of UVB are you using? There should be a name and number printed on the bulb. Usually you should hve a basking bulb AND a UVB tube.

The supers most likely caused the throwing up so I'm glad you are stopping those. Regardless of that tho, it soundslike she isn't getting enough protein either- 2-3 worms just isn't enough for a little one.

Keep her hydrated, as you have been doing- offer water orally from a syringe or drops from your finger- oral hydration is very important right now.

Can you post a pic of her?

cmc3213

Original Poster
oh sorry! its solar glow 125W
About how many worms should she be eating a day? I stick to the size in between her eye rule right?
OK I'll keep doing bathes and I already give her drops of water through a medicine dispenser :)
How do i Post a pic???

MissT

BD.org Addict
I hate to have to tell you this but solar glos are known to cause I'll effects including lethargy- il try to find the link for you with all the details.

You will need to set up a photobucket account then copy and paste the image code when u upload pics there.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok I just got caught up on this thread, but I might have missed some things so forgive me if im repeating.

Instead of buying baby superworms, can you just buy a different feeder insect instead? Superworms grow really fast. And even as babies they have pretty hard shells.

MissT is correct about the Solarglo. You will need to change that unfortunately. You will need the reptisun 10.0 for your uvb bulb. And you will need a basking bulb. Normal household bulbs are fine as long as they produce the temps you need.

Your other question, she should be eating as many as she can in a 10-15 minute time span. Its not uncommon for young dragons to go through over 50 feeder insects a day.

-Brandon

cmc3213

Original Poster
thank you guys so much!! I will switch the lighting to that! She is doing a lot better :) I switched back to crickets for now and she has eaten over 25 a day! I let her keep eating until she has no more interest. She looks healthier and is acting more normal. But, I do notice that when she is in her cage her coloring gets very dark. Whenever I take her out she is perfectly fine though. Could that be from the lamp I have now??? Thank you so much for your help!!! :))

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible. But babies are really finiky and often get stressed very easily. Usually its just babies being babies :mrgreen:

Glad your going to get the new lights!

Your baby looks great.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom