New Owner, new member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arak-Nafein2

Hey guys, my name is Jamie. Just got myself a baby beardie 3 days ago. He's real active and skittish. Bright eyed and jumpy. Coolest reptile I've ever owned. My family has owned several pythons, boas, iguanas, and monitors. This little guy is by far the most unique and interactive of them all.

I haven't given him a name yet, actually, I don't even know if it is a "he" yet. He is only 4" long right now, which leads me to believe he is very young and can't be sexed yet. I hope the breeder didn't send him to the pet shop early....That's just motivation for me to take extra special care for him. I had to have him, the pet store conditions weren't ideal.... sand substrate, a heat rock, and I'm almost positive there was no UV, he was in there with his 2 siblings, and a uromastyx. The first sibling had his tail bitten? off, and the other was lethargic and sleepy... even while he was in my hand. The Uro was busy trying to dig his fatt self outta the bottom of the cage in the corner. (All the other beardies in the other pet stores were the same dark colored, uphappy looking lizards, this was the third pet store I had been to looking for a suitable friend. This was a birthday present to me from my girlfriend.) But this little guy, he was up front and center. Watching my every move. Very smart fellow. He was unique from the other two in that he was a lighter color, and the markings on his head are a reddish-orange color. Almost like the color of rust. When I asked to inpsect him, and the lady reached her hand in, he immediatly became the biggest, meanest, scariest thing on the block. He opened his mouth and told us to back off. Cutest little thing.

Then the bad news hit.... the lady at the store said that this little guy was already sold. She said she'd give me a deal on the other two, since they were either missing a tail, or half-dead-looking. I felt so bad for those other two... I didn't feel much better for this little guy, he was apparently purchased for a little boy's birthday... I'd hate to see what that kid would do to him....torture. So, I told the lady that he was the only one, and I would not settle for less(I drove for an hour to get to this pet store) and then I started to walk out. She totally buckled, she said that the breeder was coming tomorrow with another batch of lighter colored beardies(Like the one I wanted) And that she could sell me this one. Booyah! It was meant to be, my long quest was finally over. After weeks of research, and long trips to far away pet stores, I had found my friend.

So, I haven't named him/her yet. I'm kinda waiting for him to get older and show some personality before I name him. Besides, I'd hate to give him a male name, only to find out he's female later. :?

So, without further ado, here is my new baby beardie. The pictures are a bit decieving because he was basking/jus got done basking and he and turned dark from it. Normally he is a lighter color, and the markings on his head are that rust-looking red-orange. His stomach goes from white-with-black-markings to black-with-white-markings when he is basking.

Sorry about the grainy images, I forgot I had the camera set to ISO400.
pict0191xij6.jpg

pict0192xsq4.jpg

pict0193xxb3.jpg

pict0195xvu6.jpg

pict0196xnq8.jpg

Hopefully I can recover him from whatever harm might have been done in that horrid place.(The pet shop wasn't actually all that bad, they had a nice selection of critters, it's just that their conditions weren't what I'd call "ideal" for reptiles) He's already starting to repsond to me. He's also taken a few crickets from my hand.Smart little fellow, I tell ya!

***Edit, there should be 5 images, but imageshack is acting weird. Reload till you can see all***

Keith Stoudt

Sub-Adult Member
Cute little guy/girl I love the markings they are just wicked, anyways welcome to the site if you have any questions just post them the people in here really know what they are talking about. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Enjoy!

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Adorable little dragon you've got there :) And yes, unfortunately the breeder did send him to the store too early if he's only 4 inches long. Dragon babies shouldn't be sold unless they are six weeks old and six inches long. Just means you'll have to be extra careful to make sure he gets everything he needs. At that size you'll need to offer him live food 3-4 times a day, as many crickets (or whatever bug you use) as he'll eat in 10 minutes per feeding. You'll also want to give him regular baths/soakings in warm water to make sure he stays well hydrated - for most babies I suggest at least every three days, with one that tiny I'd do at least every other day at first. Congrats on the new dragon and the best of luck to you both!

Arak-Nafein2

Original Poster
I've been misting and bathing him 2 to 3 times a day. I also drop water on his nose so I can see and be sure he drinks.(I've even put small pieces of watermelon in his salads, as a final precaution. He doesn't eat them, or the salad yet. But they are there as an option.) I also feed him several times a day, simply because he wouldn't eat but 1 or 2 crickets at a time. His eating has picked up now, and I've been making every effort to make sure he doesn't dehydrate. Thanks for the tips, hopefully this little baby will grow up big, strong, and healthy.

Arak-Nafein2

Original Poster
New pics. I saw him basking, and decided to get a belly shot to show his designs when he turns dark. I think they're pretty wicked. I also got a few other good ones.

He looks fat here.
pict0001xsnu4.jpg

pict0002xslm7.jpg

pict0006xsxr3.jpg

The lighting was perfect for this one. I swear he was posing for me. He's very photogenic. He's not afraid of the camera at all.
pict0002sxn4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom