new owner. need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure which subject to use. Sorry if it's long. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

My husband and I got our bearded dragon on black Friday. And I know I should have done research first but we wanted to get it for our son for Christmas. Since we got the dragon I've spent hours upon hours trying to find out everything I could. We bought the bearded dragon kit (I know BIG mistake). Today I added a hammock, changed the blue day light to a basking spot lamp, changed the florescent coil bulb to a reptisun 10.0 uvb, uva & visible light tube thing, and moved some things around in his tank (might have been a bad idea). I am still using the alfalfa bedding. He/she has been fine with it but I will be switching to a liner.
So here are some of my issues. I am for some reason terrified of trying to hold him. I'm not really sure why. My 7 year old son picks him up (not easy to do though) and my husband picks him up. He has not tried to bite but he runs. I am the only one that takes care of him. I am fine with putting my hands around him to clean his enclosure and even move stuff around. I feed him some times with tweezers. I have given him two baths. The first time I used a wash cloth and towel to pick him up the second time my son picked him up. I sit and talk to him all the time. But when I try to pick him up I'm jumpy. If he even moves I jump. I don't want to be afraid of him. I would love to hold him. Does anyone have any suggestions? Gloves?
Also, after changing and adding things to his enclosure today he was acting a little strange. I know it's probably because of the changes but it still worries me. I don't want the little guy to be stressed out. He of course was watching me closely and was jumpy when I started putting stuff in. I talked to him the whole time and I tried to make sure I moved slow and I would try to make sure he saw what I was adding. When I was done I left him alone for an hour or so. Then I took the lid off and fed him. I gave him a few wax worms with tweezers as a treat and a few meal worms. Then some crickets. This is about the time I noticed a few changes. First, within the small amount of time I left him alone his tail started to shed, he was "glass surfing", and he jumped onto his leaf then onto the edge of the tank like he wanted out maybe? I help the screen lid in front of him so he couldn't jump out and put a wax worm on his hammock to get him down. It didn't seem like he was being aggressive. He never displayed any aggressive behaviors or tried to lunge at me. Could he have just wanted out or wanted me to hold him?
I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. And more than anything I want to be able to hold him.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You are right. He probably was trying to get out. They usually don't bite unless they confuse your finger with food. If you have been feeding with tongs, he probably won't. Little baby nips don't hurt. My one special needs dragon has bitten me twice, but only because I had to stick my finger in her mouth and closing her mouth was just a natural reaction. It did hurt and draw blood, but there is really nothing to be afraid of. Focus on establishing a relationship with her. Hold her so that you are face-to-face and talk to her. Stroke her back. Mine always seemed to dislike to head rubs as babies. Maybe yours won't. Chances are before long she will be enthralled with your conversations, and will turn her head as you speak. If you just got him, he is still small, I'm guessing. Make sure he feels supported when you hold him, and be aware that they can really jump! Oops. When I went in to add, I got my genders confused. Too tired to change. Sorry. Let us know how it goes!

Amberstair

Original Poster
I'm not sure if it's a boy or girl so I usually just say he. Plus we haven't named him yet. He usually doesn't mind my hand being around and I have pet him before. I could tell he was mad at me after his baths. He wasn't aggressive but he wouldn't even look at me or come to the glass when I talked to him. Usually when I sit and talk to him he looks at me like he's listening. Maybe my fear is getting in the way of me realizing that he wants me to hold him. I'm not just afraid of being bit I'm afraid he'll get away from me. The day we brought him home my husband was holding him and he climbed all around him then jumped off and started running around. Little guy was fast. We didn't know at the time that you're supposed to start off holding him in his enclosure. I wanted to post a picture of him but I'm not sure how yet.

Amberstair

Original Poster
I forgot to add that he will lift his left back leg and he'll keep it lifted for a few minutes. Not sure if that is normal?

karolynmae

i must say that when mine was a baby i was terrified to hold him or even try to pick him up. I was just so scared that i would hurt him! but after time if got easier. I learned to come at them from the front or the side, and not from the top as it can stress them out thinking you are a predator. I also started hand feeding greens when he was a baby so i could get used to his movements. my worries and stress of picking him up and messing with him faded and now he is a mommas boy. He sits with me and we run around the house and even go to the store together when we need to get crickets or bulbs. It takes time. but now even my mother grabs him and sits him on her shoulder to go paint when she visits. You can constantly her her singing and dancing with him in her art room. =) Youll get there. take your time you dont have to do it all in one day.
here he is when we first got him. sitting on his water dish.
81799-8215764118.jpg

and now you can see he has really grown into his bod ole cuddly self
81799-4160561315.jpg

it is to the point that he just wants to be out for the kisses and cuddles! such a flirt!

karolynmae

Also i only let him run around freely in one room. it is lizard proof. i blocked the doorway and anything else he could get under. and always watch your step. You may lose them for a bit. i know i have. I usually find them in the curtains or in a corner asleep. i also have a big clear ferret ball that i put mine in so he can run around my back yard without escaping. if you want them to explore in the house it wouldn't be a bad idea to get one for when he is little. no worries about accidentally stepping on him but he can still get his exercise and explore!

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
Do you still have him on those pellets, or that sand? If so, I suggest no. It is not good for beardies. If you need a suggestion of something better, I suggest carpet like this. http://www.petco.com/product/108362/Zilla-Brown-Reptile-Terrarium-Liner.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Bearded Dragon_2-_-Zilla%20Brown%20Reptile%20Terrarium%20Liner-108362
Trust me, If you really care for your buddy, you will want to change his substrate. Sorry to be the nay sayer, but I feel it is necessary.

Amberstair

Original Poster
I'm still a little worried about picking him or her up. But he's my little buddy. He loves to run around the house. And climb the stairs. Lol. I don't have him on pellets any more. Actually I took them out shortly after I got him. I've actually built him a viv. I still have things to add to it but he loves it. And I just ordered a harness and leash off of amazon. I'm hoping to be able to take him outside when it is delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom