New older beardie....any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilleigh

After much consideration I have decided to adopt a beardie. "Lily" belonged to the son of a friend of mine and he has gone off to college. My friend is concerned that she is not getting all of the attention and care that she deserves. I have been spending time with her in her current home and hope to bring her home to my house tomorrow. She seems healthy (except for being blind in one eye) and is friendly and well socialized. However, my husband is very concerned because she is actually about nine years old and he doesn't want to see me devastated if I lose an older pet. (I already own two geriatric rescue dogs; even the older ones need homes and love!!!!!) My other concern would be that changing her environment now might stress her considerably.....any thoughts? I have done a lot of research on beardies and would like to take this one on (and I fell pretty confident that I would be a good beardie owner). Any input would be appreciated!

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
First, let me welcome you to the site! :D I think Seniors need love too. I understand your husbands worries though. Sounds like my DH. I would be crushed at the loss of any pet,but.... It really is better to have loved and lost than never to have been a dragon slave at all! Besides how can a Damsel resist a dragon in distress? :lol: OMG- That was awful! Sorry I must be tired. Anyway I say go for it. But I never turn down any of God's creatures in need of a home. Good luck, and keep us posted.
If you do get her post some picts. We are all big picture fans here.

Sandy H

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
You mentioned being concerned about changing her environment.Are the previous owners giving you her viv also? It would be nice if she is staying in her old setup,then it won't be as hard on her.Just introduce her to your home slowly. I think with enough attention and love she will adjust just fine.

Tell your husband beardies can and have lived 15 - 18 yrs of age.I think as long as she's happy and healthy you could have many wonderful years with her and Believe me they will be wonderful.I've had my little sweetie for 5 years now and can't imagine my life without her.

I believe you will be a wonderful beardie owner...Good Luck !!!

Tiantha

Hatchling Member
I have found that the mature animals can really teach you some valuable life lessons. Having my first horse as a 16 year old HE taught ME dressage. Having Tiantha a Beardie full grown they say between 2 and 3 to possibly 5....I think they are guessing myself has been a wonderful and inspiring experience, so much so I have one of "Gales" coming to me in a couple of days. Tiantha has given me the confidence in handling her to take on the challange of a baby.

So yes...please take on and adopt. Be patient and they will blossom under your love big time, better and faster in affection because they UNDERSTAND it more.

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
One good thing to have on hand for a transplanted beardie is some probiotics. I use Acidophiliz+, it replaces any good gut flora that can be taken over by the bad caused by stress. And moving definitely causes stress, unfortunately. Good gut flora = a nice tummy = a happy beardie with a low coccidia count!!!!

Congratulations on your new family member!!!! :blob5:

gilleigh

Original Poster
Thank you all for your support. Where do you get the probiotics? I get my dog's probiotics at jeffers pet (online)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom