New mommy with some questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy4nn3

So, I am a brand new mommy to an 8 month old beardie that I got a month ago. I got him from a friend and just discovered that he was malnourished and is suffering in size because of it. He is only 10 inches long at 9 months old but he is growing rapidly now that he is being fed properly with a better owner! :D

Anyways, I have read books and articles etc. but I get different answers from everywhere and I am sure I will on here also but, I know that they will be coming from dedicated beardie owners and not just random writers.

* So, do beardies actually become emotionally attached to their owners or do they just grow attached to anyone handling them right? Do they recognize their owners voices or anything like dogs and cats and things do? I have never owned a reptile before so I am new on the whole subject.

* I know that beardies get so used to being held that they eventually stop holding on while being held in your hand or something. Well, I have had my beardie for a month now and he seems to really like me and I know that he loves being held and handled but every time I take him out of his enclosure he still squirms like crazy like I am going to drop him. I support his legs and tail and keep him level but he still does it. Is it just his personality, does he just not trust me yet, or am I doing something wrong? I pet him for a minute and let him know that I am there, then I put him in my hand and let him sit there a minute and get situated and comfortable and then i slowly raise him out. :?

I just want my beardie to be happy! I have only had him for a month and I had no plans on having one, it was a sudden thing. But I am a slave for him and will do anything possible to make him the happiest beardie ever! Please give me some answers or feedback other Beardie Lovers! :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They get do get attached to owners as long as the owner stays consistent with handling the beardie. They are not "loyalists" though. Some indications show that they do recognize noises and can associate those noises with things like, their owner, dinner time, etc.

It takes a lot of time to build a trusting relationship with your dragon. He most likely will be squirming around for awhile to come. Just stay consistent and don't hurt/scare him.

I have never had a beardie get so tame that it stops holding on. And I have had some very very tame beardies.

-Brandon

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I have several dragons that don't hold on, they lay against my chest and I have to put them under the seat belt in the car. They are lazy and know I will hold onto them like big babies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Beardies are smarter than some people give them credit for. Goldie knows the difference between me and my husband. She knows that Bill needs some help/attention. Yesterday afternoon when he brought her in the house after being outside and he took her leash off and put her toward the head of the bed, thinking she'd go under one of the pillows and fall asleep. He was rushing around to get things done. Fast forward about 20 minutes we couldn't find her anywhere. We tore apart the bedroom, living room, kitchen, every room we could think of. She was nowhere. After praying my husband checked in the one room we didn't check, she's never gone in there, anyway, he found her behind the door in that room. He brought her to me, really cold, and with a worried look in her eyes. She was convinced something was wrong with her daddy and wanted to find him and instead got lost. She's become his service beardie. He's hypoglycemic and sometimes when out and about (with or without our quads) she will make sure we are going back the right way. Bill orients her which way we turned while riding (on our quads) and on the way back, she told him which way to turn on the road we came to (only way left or right, both looked alike). Goldie loves both of us but knows what both of us needs. One other time, a week ago or more, Goldie was on her dad's back and I was going to pick her up to cuddle her, she was obvious that she wanted to stay on her dad's back. I said "mommy's not good enough today?" She turns around on his shoulder and comes to me to let me pick her up, just to let me know she loves me too, mainly because she knows we love her and will take care of her.

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
The reason the not holding on anymore subject came up is because I am a trained volunteer at my local zoo and the bearded dragon there does not hold on at all so we really have to watch him when we do programs and such to make sure he doesn't just slide on off. I would never dream of scaring or hurting my baby beardie (his name is Safaree) so I hope he learns to trust me soon! Thanks for all the advice y'all!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I wonder if the zoo beardie has something wrong, of course he could be missing his claws, in which case he'll be unable to 'hold on'.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
BTW: about the only time our girls stop clinging is in the evening when they are falling asleep, they get soo relaxed that we have to hold onto them to keep them from sliding.

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
The beardie at the zoo still has his claws. He is just so used to being handled by the Docents. He is one of my favorites so I plan on using him on programs alot. He LOVES the attention. :D

Thanks for all the help guys!

moongypsy

Shy4nn3":3p35fcjd said:
So, I am a brand new mommy to an 8 month old beardie that I got a month ago. I got him from a friend and just discovered that he was malnourished and is suffering in size because of it. He is only 10 inches long at 9 months old but he is growing rapidly now that he is being fed properly with a better owner! :D

Anyways, I have read books and articles etc. but I get different answers from everywhere and I am sure I will on here also but, I know that they will be coming from dedicated beardie owners and not just random writers.

* So, do beardies actually become emotionally attached to their owners or do they just grow attached to anyone handling them right? Do they recognize their owners voices or anything like dogs and cats and things do? I have never owned a reptile before so I am new on the whole subject.

* I know that beardies get so used to being held that they eventually stop holding on while being held in your hand or something. Well, I have had my beardie for a month now and he seems to really like me and I know that he loves being held and handled but every time I take him out of his enclosure he still squirms like crazy like I am going to drop him. I support his legs and tail and keep him level but he still does it. Is it just his personality, does he just not trust me yet, or am I doing something wrong? I pet him for a minute and let him know that I am there, then I put him in my hand and let him sit there a minute and get situated and comfortable and then i slowly raise him out. :?

I just want my beardie to be happy! I have only had him for a month and I had no plans on having one, it was a sudden thing. But I am a slave for him and will do anything possible to make him the happiest beardie ever! Please give me some answers or feedback other Beardie Lovers! :D

thank you for posting this because I had the exact same questions. I will be adopting a beardie hopefully by this weekend.

Also, I've read that putting one of your shirts in his/her tank helps with learning your scent.

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
Shy4nn3":2qfdhy6k said:
One in particular likes me more than anyone else. So cute. Yes, they do "know" their owners. In fact, mine like the dogs and do not like even the mere sight of our little cat, so they can tell the difference in other species too. Don't worry, they are in a place where the cat cannot access them.

Shy4nn3":2qfdhy6k said:
Give your Beardie some time :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom