New Mom Please Help I think He is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday I inherited a Beardie. I was given a tank a small water dish a food dish red pellets and a uvb light. I was told to just feed him when the food runs out give him some crickets in the summer if i find them and that was pretty much it. Went to a pet store got him a big water dish that fits in the corner of the tank some of the crushed walnut stuff to put at the bottom of the tank, a half log tunnel thing and a rock.
Sunday I read that i should mist him with water twice a day. so I started doing that.
He is very lethargic acting and doesnt seem right so after talking to people I finally realize that he needs a heat lamp and that he is way to cold.
Monday I go get heat lamp and some crickets, he seems to like the heat! Go figure! Pretty sure he ate a couple of the crickets but he is still only sleeping and just doesnt seem right.
Tuesday I finally get a hold of someone with experience and she tells me he looks extremely dehydrated. She instructs me to put him in water with his heat lamp over him so I put him in the corner water container and after about 20 minutes he is pushing up with his arms and looks to be sun bathing at least thats how she described it when I sent her a pic of him. It was decided to leave him there for a while so I did. I woke up at 1 am to find him face down in the water bowl and completely unresponsive. I assumed he was dead because he was completely limp and i saw no signs of breathing. Very upsetting to think I killed this poor guy when all I wanted to do was give him a good home. I put him in a shoe box and then later texted my new friend that has experience with them. She had me put him back in the aquarium under his light she is not convinced he is dead especially because he was not stiff after 6 hours and his beard is not black. I would be so relived if I found him alive when I get home but am afraid its to good to be true. I feel so awful thinking my ignorance may have killed this poor guy. Any help, info is appreciated.

Suey777

Juvie Member
This is so sad :( Please update us when you get home. I am sure you have read the care sheet on the homepage and realize you were not given the right care instructions, but (crossing my fingers) when you get home and have any questions on proper care please let us know.

pheonixsmom

Original Poster
Suey777, I am just heart broken over it. Yes I have read the care sheet and have a great resource now for info. I hope that I still have use for it. :( I will update tonight.

He could be extremely exhausted? It is very strange if he isn't stiff yet. I really hope he's alive ;-; Keep us posted<3

pheonixsmom

Original Poster
This is him last night after I put him in the water before he drowned and then him this morning after I put him back in the aquarium.
86038-8544566435.jpg
86038-6847696141.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible the water made him too cold and he shut his systems down into a semi brumation state. Hopefully (slowly) warming him back up will revive him. Please keep us posted.

Oh hey, I'd be careful with the misting because too much humidity in the air can cause respiratory problems. More soaking, less misting should do it.

pheonixsmom

Original Poster
Just got home and he is in the exact same spot he was left in. his arms and legs are a little bit stiff but the rest of the body is limp and flexable.

pheonixsmom

Original Poster
his tank is at 101 his color has not changed but he seems very yellow around the eyes and his gums inside are white. Someone told me that is not good. I have a pic but can not figure out how to upload to this thread.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am sorry to hear that happened. :cry:
Have you not seen any signs of breathing at all? Have you put any heat over him again?
He doesn't have sunken in eyes but his gums look very pale/anemic though.
Let us know the status of him.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Very odd. He looks like he's sleeping rather than dead. Keep him warm (~80 or so) overnight and see how he feels in the morning. From what I've seen, they tend to lose color, smell a bit, and stiffen up when they die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom