New Mama

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeechiPeach

So I have loved Beardies for a long while now, one of my science teachers in high school had one in his room that I got to hold everyday and I fell head over heels for him. I am finally getting one of my own! I am very excited but also very nervous, I am getting her from someone that couldn't take care of her off craigslist and taking some friends with me for the drive and the help. I don't know much about her yet except that she is around 9 months old, Once I meet her old owner on Thursday I will definitely be asking a bunch of questions but if I ever need any help I've got 2 friends that are previous beardie owners and all of you guys! I am worried but what new mama wouldn't be? She has got a 40g tank at the moment and once I get her and all the advice ya'll give me I will make sure to make her super comfortable!

92972-8648145711.jpg
92972-1293700198.jpg
92972-4382269611.jpg

Her name is going to be Ryker

What a cutie! I just got my new long awaited bearded dragon as well. I think she'll be great, I don't know if the pictures are of her in the tank you have her in now but I think the only thing would be not to use sand because baby beards will try to eat it. It's weird I know but mine has licked at and tried to bite at her paper towels I have on the bottom. I know strange creatures but good luck!

KeechiPeach

Original Poster
I plan on removing the sand and also getting a new hammock. Anyone have any recommendations on what I should replace the sand with? I was thinking a carpet like thing but maybe something else? I am not sure. I get her tomorrow and once she is safely home I am going to let her get use to everything for the first week and get use to her before I start to do anything, I am very excited but also nervous about messing anything up! This will be my go to life line for a while until I am set up on my feet to take care of her with my own knowledge. I can't wait!

Reptile carpet is good. Make sure you clean up her waste it can stain the carpet. You can also use tile. It's pretty cheap and easy to clean. Hammocks are great for Beardies. I made one (it's Wonder Woman I couldn't resist.) and it's great for snuggling. (I don't know if your new beardie is a snuggler but they can be snuggly) good luck!

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
I use reptile carpet in mine! I would definitely say to stay on top of cleaning up the waste like the above user mentioned just because staining can be common. I think the most important things for you to make sure of are that she has proper heat and uvb lighting (which it looks like the setup has) and logs that allow her to get closer to the heat if she wants to bask. Just be sure that if you include extra logs that they are sterilized and void of parasites. She looks adorable and I'm so excited for you!

KeechiPeach

Original Poster
I got her today and I already love her! But I have a question about thermometers, I don't really like the one that I got with Ryker so I was wonder what ya'll use? I plan on making a couple trips to some stores so some things and I definitely wanna pick a new thermometer or two c: Also, what would be the best way of disinfecting? Her basking spot doesn't seem to be getting warm enough, what kind of bulb should i get? right now it looks to be a Exo Terra Sun Glo 75 Watt bulb, and I am going to be picking up a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB as well in the next week or so.

I found out that her past owner didn't feed her any greens, she loves loves loves the crickets but won't really touch the other stuff, the tank still seems to be having trouble getting up to temperature so i will definitely need to find a new heat source. I got her a higher log so she is at least closer to the lamp for now. She has been glass surfing a lot and doesn't really like being held right now, it was such a quick change for her so I can understand that, I hope she gets use to everything quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom