new hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoapDish

So I had one good egg left out of the four that I kept from my females clutch. Three days ago it started to rip.:blob8: I let it sit. Yesterday I decided to "help" him out since it looked like it was drying out. My internet has been out so I didn't know what to do. I loosened the shell with filtered water and opened it the rest of the way up and placed him back in the incubator on a damp towel. At that point he still had some yolk attached. The yolk is off now and there is a pink spot where it was. His is still curled up and moves very little. I did see him "smacking" his lips. I am now thinking that I did the wrong thing :( What sould I do now? I was thinking that I should try to get him to eat something like baby food.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, usually you shouldn't assist a baby from coming out of the egg. Babys usually don't eat for a couple days, i heard it was just good to mist them a little bit to get them hydrated. You should try giving it some small small crickets and chopped up greens.

SoapDish

Original Poster
is it normal for them to be inactive? He isn't curled up anymore, but now it looks like he is sleeping up against the side of the dish in the incubator? What temp should it be at? it's at 83 now and humid.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Has he absorbed his yolk sac yet? If not, do not move him from his little moist incubator tank. They usually do not eat for at least 3-5 days. The yolk gives them nutrition for practically the whole week. You may need to go ahead & chop up some veggies for him, but make sure they are finely chopped up for him.
What are the temperatures in there for him?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, his egg sac came off & he did not absorb it? Really? That is not good, the nutrition from that is vital.
Hm, can you post a picture of your hatchling? I think you will need to start intervening with him now, to get some food into him, if he is going to survive. I would like to see the navel area. Has it completely closed up yet?

Tracie

SoapDish

Original Poster
The navel area and going up to one side of his hip is pink, but there is skin there. I don't have a camera. I will try to find one. What should I try to feed him? baby food? Should I kick the heat up?

*Update* He wasn't moving much and still isn't. I watered down some chicken baby food and fed it to him with a syringe and he did lapped it up and right after that he almost jumped out of my hand. I did up the temp to 85-90 degrees :blob5:

SoapDish

Original Poster
I fed him some more this am. he didn't eat as much as last night, but he ate a ton then. he is looking plump now and he even gave me the stink eye this am.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is encouraging news he has eaten some now. I hope you find a camera so I can what is going on.
I would try to raise the basking temps to 95-100 anyway so he can digest better now since he is starting to eat a little bit. You don't want him getting any digestive issues along the way so early on.
Keep me posted on him.

Tracie

SoapDish

Original Poster
will do thank you very much. he is moving a little more now and regularly has his eye open. he still doesn't move much but he does move some and he will right himself if he is flipped, so that's a huge improvement. I should have a camera today or tomorrow.

I am starting to think that maybe the kid I had house sitting was messing with his egg. It only incubated 48 days and my incubator was lacking something to be desired. I dunno, he just seemed premature. He made no attempt to get out of his egg and spent his first two days curled up .

btw, can he have baths yet?

thank you very much for your help

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well sometimes things happen & either they were not "meant" to hatch & we help mother nature along, or, there was a hatching problem of some type which he may or may not of hatched out on his own. It is hard to tell, but you do the best to help them. If his egg only incubated for that long, I am surprised that there was even an attempt at hatching, he is extremely premature. He might even end up having some neurological problems, but only time will tell with that. Maybe he can overcome it with diligent care.
Great that he can right himself now, that is a huge improvement, for sure. Very good to hear.
Well, that would be ok to bathe him, just make sure the water is warm enough & that you do not leave him unattended even for a second as he could very easily drown.
Did you increase the basking temperatures yet?
Great, I will look forward to seeing some pictures of him. When you feed him, give him 3-4 small feedings per day so he can digest better.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom