New Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

John82

Hi everyone,
We have very recently acquired 2 female dragons which are 4 years old, they live in the same vivarium as they did with their previous owner. Unfortunately the viv was not very clean when we got them and when I lifted the reptile carpet up there was a horrible slimy layer underneath it that was rancid. So the first job was to scrub the viv and all the things inside!! We also gave them a bath as we were told they liked it, which relaxed them so much they went to sleep!! I replaced the carpet with new and put everything back in the same place so not to mess with their fend shui!! Lol.
I fed them 4th crickets that day(Tuesday) maybe 5 each (the previous owner only gave them crickets and wax worms). The previous owner only gave them Rocket as their green so Wednesday they had rocket only, on Thursday they had 4th hoppers (4 each) as I was advised they are better for the dragons as they don't bite if left in the vivarium and make no noise (better for us!) this was complemented with rocket that was left for them to graze on which they didn't eat all of it. Today (Friday) I decided to change it up for them as I read they need a varied diet like us, I put their usual rocket, with the addition of sliced carrot and peeled cucumber with yellow pepper in the feeding bowl and went to work, 12 hours later the food hasn't been touched and the dragons don't seemed to have moved at all. They were in the exact spot I left them in, I have offered them rocket, which they did eat from me offering it to them previously but to no avail this time. They also seem lethargic and don't seem interested in attention. I have got the basking area at a steady 95f and a brand new uv exoterra strip light, the previous owner didn't change the uv strip light for over 2 years! So to cut to the point, is this normal behaviour? I'm concerned that the new environment and me changing what they eat is affecting them, am I feeding them enough?
I am also dusting the insects with calci dust or vitamin dust and alternating with the same on the greens daily.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi John....can you post pics ? That will be very helpful...here's how: Then hit XIMG
Please list your exact brand + type of lights as well.

The dragons may have some health problems so after they settle in for a couple weeks it would be good to take fecal samples to an experienced reptile vet.

Some dragons were not fed veggies and may not be interested , at least at first. Keep trying a couple times a week and hopefully they will show some interest. " Rocket" is a dead giveaway that you're in the U.K :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
While it is possible to house multiple same sized female beardies in the same enclosure long term successfully , I've heard of a local Australian breeder who claims to have had 6 living together but still had dominance problems and some of the girls started acting like boys and induced the dominanted girls to produce clutches of infertile eggs.
He says he couldn't afford separate enclosures for all the girls in his breeding program at the time - he claims to be an expert breeder !!! :O !!! and has done significant damage to his reputation IMO .

It is not recommended with central beardies and is highly risky and the likelihood is someone will loose legs, feet or tails in biting attacks. Adult bearded dragons are also fully capable of killing each other.

Best to house them all separately in their own enclosures.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
John82":kzhzunxi said:
Hi everyone,
We have very recently acquired 2 female dragons which are 4 years old, they live in the same vivarium as they did with their previous owner. Unfortunately the viv was not very clean when we got them and when I lifted the reptile carpet up there was a horrible slimy layer underneath it that was rancid. So the first job was to scrub the viv and all the things inside!! We also gave them a bath as we were told they liked it, which relaxed them so much they went to sleep!! I replaced the carpet with new and put everything back in the same place so not to mess with their fend shui!! Lol.
I fed them 4th crickets that day(Tuesday) maybe 5 each (the previous owner only gave them crickets and wax worms). The previous owner only gave them Rocket as their green so Wednesday they had rocket only, on Thursday they had 4th hoppers (4 each) as I was advised they are better for the dragons as they don't bite if left in the vivarium and make no noise (better for us!) this was complemented with rocket that was left for them to graze on which they didn't eat all of it. Today (Friday) I decided to change it up for them as I read they need a varied diet like us, I put their usual rocket, with the addition of sliced carrot and peeled cucumber with yellow pepper in the feeding bowl and went to work, 12 hours later the food hasn't been touched and the dragons don't seemed to have moved at all. They were in the exact spot I left them in, I have offered them rocket, which they did eat from me offering it to them previously but to no avail this time. They also seem lethargic and don't seem interested in attention. I have got the basking area at a steady 95f and a brand new uv exoterra strip light, the previous owner didn't change the uv strip light for over 2 years! So to cut to the point, is this normal behaviour? I'm concerned that the new environment and me changing what they eat is affecting them, am I feeding them enough?
I am also dusting the insects with calci dust or vitamin dust and alternating with the same on the greens daily.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

95F is on the low end but OK , better to get the basking temperature a little warmer to about 40degreesCelsius.

Is the new UV tube a T8 or a T5 ?
is it rated at least 10% UVB ?
how far are they basking from it ?

what is the lighting schedule (when are the lights (UV and basking) turned on and off each day ?

I think you may need give them some dietary suppliments as well as separating them ASAP into their own full sized (4ft x 2ft footprint) enclosure.
I recommend perhaps giving them the following suppliments (orally) :
>>>> CalciVet
>>>> HerpaBoost
I also recommend treating their enclosure with F10 , this will kill any lingering spores and germs.
http://www.chemicalessentials.com.au/f10-disinfection-and-biosecurity.html

I suspect several things are going on :
>> relocation stress
>> malnutrition
>> and perhaps they have an infection caused by the horribly unhygienic state of their enclosure - best for a vet to check this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom