New Dragon lover

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
very cool, it sounds like hes going to a great home. its refreshing to see someone do the research before bringing the animal home; well done.

one thing to note with beardies; i think the calcium/mineral/vitamin schedule is like this:

Calcium
4-5x a week, with D3 if your usng a fluorescent, without it if your using an MVB. bearded dragons do not need phosphorus in their calcium supplement nor do they need vitamins mixed in. you might want to find a calcium supplement with only calcium and D3; no phosphorus, fat, fiber, protein or vitamins.

Vitamin/Minerals
im pretty sure these should only be given once a week and in moderate dosages. some vitamins are oil soluble which means they can be overdosed. if your giving him a multivitamin every day that might not be good.

alot of us use RepCal brand Calcium and RepCal brand HerptiVite. i was told to use those by an experienced member because the vitamins and stuff are all in safe proportions.

im in the same boat with Barbara, ive never heard of the pile of calcium in the viv either but as i said; i only have BDs and im really no expert... i also know other reptiles have different calcium/phosphorus needs so ill trust you on that one :wink: .

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I actually do have leos and do indeed keep calcium without D3 in a small cap for both to lick up. Quite different from the dragons !
Just saying Hi again !
Janie !

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it!! Well that 'awesome' 75gal tank that I was going to pick up.... turns out it was a dinky little 40gal long tank :shock: Still picked it up (it WAS free) but gona be searching for a bigger tank for him still. Going to put one of my leopard geckos in the 40gal that I just picked up and move the dragon into her 45gal tank (yes she IS spoiled! she isn't even very active so I don't think she'll mind lol) Set to pick him up next Tuesday I believe, as long as the kid doesn't change his mind lol.

Ok here's ANOTHER question for you guys :lol: :D Do you know the magnetic hides and ledges that you can buy? http://www.csmgecko.com/index.php?p=1_46 Sorry, the best example I could find of what I'm talking about. Do you think that would be something that could be a DIY project? found a site that has crazy strong magnets http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10 (awesome fun to be had with those lol, just watch your electronics!!) that would be able to hold the ledge up. Just trying to figure out how feasible making something like that would be.
If you couldn't tell I LOVE DIY projects and making stuff on my own lol.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
never tried em. i would think the store bought ones would only hold light animals. if you use those crazy strong ones you might crack the glass just joining them together.

id have to say keep asking around. they seem convieniant. i just dont know if theyd work like they say they do.

P.S. those magnets look cool but they are expensive!

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ah get the smaller ones and put em together ;) I was thinking of coating the magnets with rubber or plastic to keep them from scratching and/or breaking the glass and also to keep them from slipping down. And (correct me if I'm wrong) most Dragons don't get over a pound and a half right (700ish grams)? I'm fairly certain that those magnets would be able to hold even through a glass tank wall. I'll do some more looking and reading up on those, heck if nothing else I'll buy some of the magnets and try it out, if it doesn't work I've got some new play toys LOL.
I love playing with things like those magnets so I'm prolly going to get some just for me and my daughter to play around with rofl :lol: :lol:

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well this sucks guys :( I haven't heard from the kid whose dragon I was going to adopt for over 2 weeks. I've emailed him and haven't got any answers back so I guess he decided not to give him up? got to busy? idk. well there's a reptile show up in columbus soon so I may go check there to see if I can find anything that interests me. At least this gives me time to try and get the big cage set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom