New Buddies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingK

After giving my 10ft boa to the local herp society, I needed a new pet. I'm a craigslist junky and last night came across a nice ad for some free friends.

Here they are!

First up is Spike. He's cool and totally likes us human scum.
189776792_eaa62d4552_o.jpg

Next is Bump. She's been super cool with me today but, her previous owner says she can be a bit mean at times. We'll see.
189776787_7d21e57693_o.jpg

Both of them are about a year old and they can grow to about 2 feet. I'm stoked to have these guys.

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
Were they not getting adequate care? Spike is extremely small for 1 year old. Hopefully he can continue to grow, but he may stay on the smaller side. If you have any questions, I have no doubt you can get them answered here. Good luck and congrats!

StingK

Original Poster
I'm not sure if they were cared for adequetly. Spike is rather small. Today was their first feeding and he's not really eating (I didn't see him eat one cricket or worm) while Bump is devouring they prey. Only time will tell I suspose.

melissawf

Sub-Adult Member
*I* might invest in a MVB bulb for those guys to help stimulate the appetite and get them to grow and prevent MBD. I thought they looked a few months old. A year though? Wow! If they WERE a couple of months old, they look ok. Your female looks like she has a nice round belly :)
No wonder she was "nippy" with the previous owner! She was starving and hoping that finger was a hot dog!

-Melissa

There may be reasons why your smaller one isn't eating.Here are some thing it may be.First,a dominance issue.The female is much bigger so the smaller one is showing a an instinct of submission to the larger dragon.If you take the female out aftrer she has had her meal the smaller one is almost indefinitly going to eat now that the dominate Beardie is out of the tank.If he still doesnt eat then he has lost intrest or is annoyned by the crickets.You can try not feeding him for a day or two,then try introducing crickets or mealworms to him again.If that doesn't work then I think he needs a vet visit he might have a parasite,or very ealry stages of MBD.I did these things when I first got my Beardie cuz he just would eat for the first two days I had him,but now I have had him 6 months and he's almost 20" so I think it worked lol :D.
~Best of luck to you,and congrats on your beautifull Dragons~

melissawf

Sub-Adult Member
Silly me, I always forget that some people would put two beardies in the same tank together. I hope that isn't the case here and yes, I would DEFINITELY move one to a separate tank if that is the case. Males in particular are bad to put in a "community" tank but really, every beardie should have their own "room".

-Melissa

StingK

Original Poster
melissawf":3acf9 said:
Silly me, I always forget that some people would put two beardies in the same tank together. I hope that isn't the case here and yes, I would DEFINITELY move one to a separate tank if that is the case. Males in particular are bad to put in a "community" tank but really, every beardie should have their own "room".

-Melissa

First off, thanks for all the replies guys!

Yes. They are in the same cage. It is a 150 gallon tank. They actually have been really cool together so I though nothing of it. They are passing out on one another and stuff like that. It's pretty cute! :)

However, the more I read this board, I think I'm going to build a nice two-room habitat out of an old dresser next weekend to stop all the risk.

Thanks again,
Chris

melissawf

Sub-Adult Member
I would just put a divider into the 150 gallon. It is plenty big enough for that and you would be able to do it sooner than having to build a whole new place for them. Sometimes that behavior of lying on one another is a dominance thing. One tries to steal the UV for him/herself. You could get a piece of tile board or something and cut it to size and use silicone to seal it in place. You would want two pieces of tileboard though so that you have only the smooth surfaces facing out on each side. It is really cheap to buy and if you bat your eyelashes at the Home Depot guy, he will cut it for you LOL. (maybe that doesn't work for guys though) 8)

-Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom