New Beardy and heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyDow

Hello all,

We just got our 6 week old beardy today called Buddy, and the pet shop where we got the vivarium and all of the necessary bits told us to turn off the UV lamp and the bulb at night time. The only worry i have is that the thermometer reading at the moment is only at 26 - the pet shop assistant told us it was meant to be between 26 and 34, but surely if we turn the bulb off the temperature will drop, as the bulb got the vivarium to that temperature, but with the heat mat the temperature has not risen anymore

Also, with his food, how small should we chop the vegetables? He grabbed a small bit of carrot (i have read these are ok in moderation due to the high vitamin a), but i dont want him try and eat something far too big for him?

Any help would be much appreciated, we are nervous!

Laura
:)

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Yes you do turn off the UVB and heat lamps at night so they can get sleep. I normally just have a small space heater for the room the beardie lives in, and set it for 65*F. That way they don't freeze, but can sleep like babies.
Have you checked out the BeautifulDragons Nutrition list ? That has all the daily (green) and treats (black) as well as foods not to be fed (red,blue and yellow).
I would cut veggies half the size between their eyes. They usually can't crunch veggies in half like they can prey items.
Hope this helps,
Janie.

BuddyDow

Original Poster
Thank you for your quick response!

We have a heater, but it is not facing the viv, would he be ok with the heat mat alone? I dont know how much the temperature in there will drop, as we had the bulb working first before the mat.

The guy in the shop said about upping the wattage of the bulb, as there is a 60watt in there at the moment

I want to put him to bed, but i fear he will be too cold

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Save yourself lots of $$ and get a house hold flood lamp. I am using a 200w in the 55 and a 100w in the 30b. Also, as long as the Room is above 60*F, you should be fine. My little space heater is below on the floor, facing out towards the room, and it stays nice and toasty @ around 67-71* over night.
Hope this helps,
Janie.

BuddyDow

Original Poster
Well, I will upgrade tomorrow to a 100watt bulb, and will question the pet shop assistant as to how hot the heat mat will be alone.

The gas fire will be going on in a minute, as i think he is tired? He keeps going to one particular spot in the cooler area on a piece of greenery and stays still for a long time.

This is all very worrying!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Sounds like he wants a nap. What time do the lights come on daily and off ?
A 12/12 or a 14/10 is usually suggested for lighting and night times.
You'll be fine, all of us were beginners at one point or another. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be here, right ? :D Just keep the questions coming, and like I said as long as it is above 60* over night, don't worry.
Hope this helps, Janie.

BuddyDow

Original Poster
I dont know how long he has, as this is the first day we have had him - we will make the lights come on and off at a certain time though, to avoid all of this uncertainty!

What is "12/12 or a 14/10" ? I have tried to figure it out and i cannot.

Just questioning myself again, the UV lamp and the 60watt light bulb both have to be off, right?

Is there no night time bulb that can be put in so as he is getting the heat, but is not being kept awake be the light?

Thank you so much for your help!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
14/10 and 12/12 are the hours the lights are on and off. Ie: 14 hours on, 10 hours off.
You can get a heat bulb that only emits heat, no light, at a ps if you think it will get colder than 60* even with a small heater.
Many of us will use a timer so we can set the lights and walk away. They come on and turn off on schedule, less worry about when you have to take care of that.
I am thinking that if he is going over to the "cooler" end, then he was warm enough.
Could you tell me what kind of UVB and other light you are currently using ? A thorough description of the enclosure would help as well.
Where do you have that heat mat ? It should not be under the enclosure as beardies don't feel heat all that well from their bellies. I have mine on the side of the back glass mid between the hot and cool areas.
Also new adoptees generally take several weeks to acclimate to their new surrondings, so other than 3-4 baths a week, try not to handle him.
He should also be getting a salad (BeautifulDragons Nutrition list) first thing when the lights come on in the cool end, and 2-3 hours after that, some protein feeders (insects), wait min 2 hours, second protein, wait 2 hours 3rd and final protein feeding, than at least 2 hours more to lights out for the night.
I hope this helps.
Janie.

BuddyDow

Original Poster
Well the temperature dropped to about 20C last night which is about 68F. Was that an alright temperature for night time? He seemed to be very lethargic and at first glance looked dead to be honest! But he seems to be warming up.

We have changed the heat mat so that it is on the back of the tank, rather than underneath, as the heat is not getting through, but it seems to be working on the back.

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom