New Beardies.....Yipppeeeee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
I'm getting 2 new beardies Saturday afternoon!! A female that's 15" and a male that's 13".

For those of you following the story from the general topic (http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37785), I finally got the pictures (scroll to the bottom to see). I'm still so excited :blob5:

I don't think I'll be getting what I expected, but I'm still getting two new beardies. The girl really doesn't look like a sandfire at all (to me). And after talking to the girl that's selling them, and learning more about the poor care she's been giving them.

I should have told her that I would not pay for them. But since she'd mentioned letting them loose in a field if she didn't find a buyer, I guess I'll pay the $100 just to get them into a good home. I just can't believe people like that!! I'd go into more detail about how the lady was keeping these beardies, but it makes me too angry. My hubby is a lot less restrained than I am though. If you want you can read more about it on his blog entry today at: http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/weblog.php?w=233

It sounded like such a deal at first, but I'm sure there's bound to be some vet bills involve early on.

In any case, I'm still happy I'm getting two more beardies....and they are both beautiful. Here they are

The boy
boy.jpg

boy2.jpg

The girl
girl2.jpg

girl.jpg

Chris

BD.org Addict
congrats on ur babies!
they dont look the happiest @ the moment, i'm sure the'll appreciate having you as thier new mum!! :lol: no offense intended, anythings gotta be better than being let loose in a field!!

who really cares about colour that much, those 2 are as beautiful as any coloured dragon could be.

plus, you get to feel like a lovely person fro offering them a home with better than adequate care,..!! :wink: (and better than that field,...!!)

i'm quite surprised they still look so good actually,..!!

i'm glad ur getting them befoer they look like some of teh others ive seen,... :cry:

Chris

BD.org Addict
ya know, after reading the Blog, i think ur hubby was still al little restrained!

i was expecting alot worse,..!! :lol:

The Herp Whisperer

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, my wife has me on a short leash...at least until I reach critical mass, then...well, you'll just have to watch it on CNN like everyone else. :twisted: Then I revert to Texas Male- A bit below Caveman on the evolutionary ladder...

Cheers!

Jamie

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
i think their gorgeous. the male looks like he's got a good bit of color. the female looks like the female i just took in. she is a red/gold x citrus.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think they are very nice looking too. Maybe their colors aren't what you expected, but with the proper UVB light, food, correct temps and TLC, their colors may get brighter. They both seem to have quite a bit of yellow.

They both look healthier than I thought they would too, but the male looks a little thin. You are certainly doing the right thing and I think your hubby was rather calm in what he said, although he was probably holding a lot in. Hard to believe that she was talking about just turning them loose in a field. One good thing, at least they weren't housed together with injuries or missing tails or toes. What must her poor children be going through. :evil:

Keep us updated and good luck.

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
diamc":1a279 said:
I think they are very nice looking too. Maybe their colors aren't what you expected, but with the proper UVB light, food, correct temps and TLC, their colors may get brighter. They both seem to have quite a bit of yellow.

I think they are very nice too. They're not what I was expecting from the way they described them, but their color really doesn't matter. I'm just glad they didn't look terrible in the pictures. I think with a little TLC and a good UVB light, they will be gorgeous in a couple weeks.

You are certainly doing the right thing and I think your hubby was rather calm in what he said, although he was probably holding a lot in. Hard to believe that she was talking about just turning them loose in a field. One good thing, at least they weren't housed together with injuries or missing tails or toes.

Yeah...I guess I thought what the hubby had written was worse......because I had to listen to all the ranting and cussing behind me while I was reading his blog :lol: When the lady said she had planned on turning them loose, he blew his top. I would have normally been pretty angry, but it was hard to focus on anything while my hubby ranted for 2 hours.

What must her poor children be going through. :evil:

Keep us updated and good luck.

I just wonder if her kids are cared for in the same manner as her beardies. I wonder if she'll abandon them (the kids) in a large field if they get in the way of her next move :shock:

I'll try to post tomorrow after we bring them home. We were supposed to pick them up Sunday, but when they told me they weren't providing heat and keeping them in tiny tanks, I changed my plans Saturday. Then they wanted to meet in the evening. I'm driving 100 miles to their place so I can get them earlier.....instead of meeting near my home. Though afterwards I'm sure well spend a good part of the day at our local reptile shop getting the UVB set up and anything else they might need. Luckily we have some spare 40 and 50 gallon tanks in storage.

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The new beardies are home :blob5:

Boy am I glad we didn't wait til tomorrow afternoon to get them! The poor things don't look too bad considering their living conditions, but it was much worse than I'd expected.

We walked in and they had them both in the 10 gallon tanks on the living room floor in front of the AC vent. They were both on very coarse sand that was about 10" deep. Neither had been cleaned since they'd first got them several months ago. Each time it got dirty, they just added more sand. It was so disgusting :puke:

Neither had any lights or heat of any kind. When I asked about the UVB lights the guy told me they had them, but they'd turned them off a couple days ago. Though after looking through everything, all they had were flood lamps. I guess he didn't know the difference between UVA and UVB lights.

There was no salad in either tank. The female had several crickets in her tank. When I mentioned they must have just eaten, the husband said he'd fed her yesterday morning.......and the crickets were still in there with her. Then he said he didn't like to power feed the boy though. Whatever that means....I guess he meant he didn't feed him very often. Both of them were also extremely dehydrated. Oh...and they have never been given calcium...ever.

Also it had been quite a story about handling them daily. The girl was apprehensive, but it was very obvious the little boy had never been handled. Funny how it went from how gentle they were to the guy warning me I might get bit if I picked the little boy up. I did anyway. He didn't bite, but was pretty tricky to hang onto. I held the girl the entire ride home (about 2 hours) and she calmed down and bonded with me quickly. After getting home the little boy bit my hubby though...hehe.

Anyway....our $100 turned into a lot more pretty fast! Let's see....
$100 for two very malnourished/dehydrated beardies
$30 for gas to drive 200 miles round trip
$60 for 3 reptiglow 8.0 (Ozzy needed a new one too :wink: )
$50 for supplies (astroturf, lumber for lids and basking areas, 2 heat lights, and 2 18" reptiglo light holders)
$50 for crickets, food/water dishes, hides
$10 for beardie burrito polar fleece

Hmmm.....I guess no one ever said these little guys were cheap. They are so cute and so worth it! I just can't believe anyone would take such poor care of such sweet critters.

Anyway, we got home and my hubby spent the rest of the evening designing basking areas and ramps. Right now we have the little girl in a 20 long and the litttle boy in a 20 bow front. I'm not so sure why the hubby spent so much time building when we are supposed to go get the 40 and 50 gallon tanks from storage tomorrow. I think he just felt so bad for the little guys that it was a good outlet for his frustrations.

So now we have 2 new beardies. Both in larger (soon to be much larger) fancier, clean tanks. They've both gotten their bellies full and had a long bath. Neither seem to like the burrito yet....but they will lay on their blankets.

Ok...now for the pics... BTW the stick thermometers were there when we got the tanks...they're not for use.

Little Girl
newgirl2.jpg

More Girl
newgirl4.jpg

New Girl Tank
newgirl.jpg

Little Boy
babyboy2.jpg

More Boy
babyboy.jpg

New Tank Half Way Done
boystank.jpg

Hubby Hard at Work
hubby2.jpg

Ok....time to go snuggle with my new babies!

Chris

BD.org Addict
ahhh,...boys so skinny, poor baby!! :cry:

girls very pretty actually, that foto shows her colour better,...

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well we've had them just 48 hours and the change in them is unbelievable. The UBV is bringing out both their colors. they actually both have orange in the.

They have both gobbled down crickets like there's no tomorrow and both ate half a dish of salad today (something they've never had). They also love water. They had never been misted, bathed, or given a water dish. If I put water in their tanks, they play in it constantly.

The little boy is so cute. I can't believe how much energy he has for a skinny little thing. We haven't decided on names yet, but I think I want to call him Flash because he's so fast.

I'm so glad we were able to give them a good home, but Ozzy is not happy about it. I'm still getting evil beardie eye all the time. He wants out so bad when he sees one of the others is out.

He's so spoiled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom