New Beardie won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dej364

I got my new Beardie 4 days ago. (Friday afternoon) She is about 7-8 month old. I am having trouble getting her to eat. On Saturday afternoon she did eat some. 7superworms and some salad. She has not eaten much since. I Gave her a bath on Sunday and she pooped a lot. I did figure out that I was not supposed to give her superworms. She will not eat crickets. She will not even show any excitement over them. I have been able to get her to eat a couple of Dubia's by hand feeding her. She picks at her salad. I am giving her a variety of collard greens, mustard greens, cactus, butternut squash, yellow squash, cucumber, apple. Just too see what she likes. I have her in about a 60gal tank. Her temps in her home are about 103f to 80f from Basking area to cool side. I use slate in her home. I made sure to get everything listed on the "recommended newbie" list posted on this site.
I got her from a local family owned pet store. She was in a home with dirt with a little bark, the lights at the pet store seemed cool to me, there was another beardie with her and a box turtle. She seemed very happy and alert when picked her up and handled her throughout the store. In the tank there it was a huge octagon open top she was very dark and lightened as I held her.
At home she loves to be out with me and is out a lot. When she is out she is very active and seems very happy. In her home she gets stress marks and darkens up some.
Oh, and I have phoenix worms on the way, since there is nowhere close to get them had to order them. Will be here in a couple more days.
PLEASE ADVISE :?
90175-3977528536.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Don't panic yet. She is probably just getting used to the new surroundings. The fact that she's eating anything at all, pooping, and doesn't mind being handled are all good signs :)

Dej364

Original Poster
SHBailey":3evh8f8v said:
Don't panic yet. She is probably just getting used to the new surroundings. The fact that she's eating anything at all, pooping, and doesn't mind being handled are all good signs :)

Thank you for the reassurance. :D I think you are right.
Today when I got home she had eatten a lot of her salad and the ate like 20 crickets! Made me feel so much better. A few hour after that she ate a couple more crickets.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It's very good that she's showing a healthy interest in veggies at her age too :D

(Some beardies don't -- for example, somewhere along the line, ours decided that he prefers to be a strict carnivore even though he's about 4 years old :( We have to sneak greens in his mouth while he's busy chewing on a cricket.)

Sound like yours is off to a good healthy start :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom