New Beardie with eyes always closed&sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatalFramer

Original Poster
I gave her drops but she only opened them a few hours later for a few mins. Now I can't really get them open. Also she was a little active yesterday Now she's not at all today. The drops say to take her to a vet after a week if there's no improvement so that'd be next Thursday. Any ideas to go with the drops? Shes not eating anything or pooping anymore either

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry she is still having some trouble.
I apologize, I should have indicated to leave her just under a basking light for a week or two, without any UVB, to allow her eyes to fully heal. They are somewhat "sunburned" right now & very sensitive to UVB waves.
So for now, until she is leaving her eyes open all of the time, just keep her under a bright white basking light for at least a week, possibly two weeks.
Are her eyes swollen or do they have any discharge coming out of them?
If she is not eating, try assist feeding her the chicken or turkey baby food, along with squash baby food, with a plastic syringe or plastic dropper.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

FatalFramer

Original Poster
I won't turn on her reptisun 10 when it gets here then and her eyes have been improving little by little. Like yesterday I took her out on her leash since it was in the 70s and she had her eyes open the whole time just fine like nothing was wrong. Since then she's been having them open mostly when she's not in the tank but she will still close them at times till she's back in the tank then she just closes them. Her eyes arnt swollen and there's no crust or discharge or anything around them. She had some food through the dropper that got her appitite up and ate three crickets this morning. Also just a note whenever she's at a window now her eyes are always open but they don't have the look she used to have hopefully this won't have any affect on her vision when she's healed

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing today? Any improvements on the eyes yet?
Her eyes still may be sensitive to light. What wattage are you using right now, in the tank? Perhaps you could lower the wattage so it would be less harsh on her eyes, but you will still need to maintain at least a 95-98 basking spot though, for her.
At least her eyes are not swollen then, that is good news. She ate some food from a dropper also? That should help her get her strength back now so continue feeding her that for awhile, until she starts to eat more on her own.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

FatalFramer

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies she is doing a WHOLE lot better now since she got the food from the dropper she just was getting better since then. Her eyes are open just about all the time and and shes gone back to her hyper unpredictable self. Also the bulb was a 75 watt zoo med basking light and another 75 household bulb because she needed more heat around her basking spot due to cold weather. I was wondering since shes back to how she is and keeps her eyes open and is alert and everything should i put her reptisun 10 bulb in when it gets here tomorrow or should i keep it off her for a few more days so she wont get her eyes irritated again.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Halister":ixmp35ts said:
Thug was doing the same thing. According to the vet (I called our vet). Beardies that are late summer born are getting messed up. They are young and growing full of viger but then the natrual brumation is hitting the 3 to 6 month babies right now so they act lazy because they are fighting it. He said the eye to eye thing is just trying to rest the eyes but not giving up whats going on so the side to side switch. Also he stated if they nap let them your fighting nature and you wont win, you will end up with a very grumpy beardie. My poor vet, he must think I have him on speed dial ha ha

Oh no, Halister! I have two End-Of-Summer babies. I mean, I guess you could call them that. I got them a month ago, and they were around 4-5 inches long then. Now they're about 7 and 8 :D Hopefully I won't have any problems with Brumation or laziness, although they have been little lazy buggers lately. Maybe it's just cause I'm fattening them up with crickets and love? Not sure :silent:

BACK ON TRACK: It's great that your Beardie's doing much better now! I'm so happy for you!

FatalFramer

Original Poster
Her lights been off for 4-5 days now I just want to make sure their fully healed so she won't get problems again

MrD

i had the same problem early in my beardies life when we first got her. the uvb light we got was the reptiglo and shortly after we noticed our beardie was closing her eyes when she was in the terrarium but outside she opened them fine, so i switched to the reptisun the next day and never had any problems since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom