new beardie viv from the ground up: picture log!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doesj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hehe, made my first pictures yesterday but was to busy watching the little guy to come and post them here :D

here are his first pictures. His back is in full colour, the rest is in shed...

IMG_7129.jpg

IMG_7134.jpg

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7142.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

yesterday he ate 5 appropriate sized dubia's, this morning he ate 2 pieces of tomato and 4 dubia's!
he's quite the little man, already he has enslaved me! ("no dad, I do NOT want any more dubias!" and "if its a GREEN vegetable, I'm NOT interested!") He also seems to really like his viv, constantly climbing everywhere he shouldn't (up the back wall until he reaches the ceiling) and as soon as the spots went out he snug into his (roofless atm) cave and went to sleep! SOOOOO cute :D

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Great looking beardie you got mate!
Its sooo big too!, My little guy is tiny..Although he is only 4 weeks old, lol :)

How old is your guy?

Ive made Chace a hide, with a blanket in there, but he dosnt seem to go in there, let along sleep there.
He snuggles up under a log instead.. lol :S

Cheers

Doesj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Daku is just over 8 weeks (born on 24th July '09) and I think he likes to sleep there because it's completely dark, while the rest of the tank is illuminated by nighttime leds (these help him find a decent sleeping spot instead of just falling asleep as soon as the lights go out)

yesterday my gf snuggled him to sleep in his blanket, after which we put him back in his tank. Which is great since 6 months ago her opinion was "if you really really really want a beardie, I can't stop you, but you can't make me touch it!" while since the second we got him, she wants to touch him all the time (which ofcourse she can't :p )

This morning I went to feed him, and our spoiled little brat was still lying on his blanket where we put him, even though he was awake.
I came back 20mins later and he was up on his platform pancaking under the "sun".

Yesterday he ate a total of:
- 3 orange grasshoppers
- 5 dubia's
- 3 pieces of squash

This morning he ate another 3 dubia's, but wasn't interested in squash, andive or chicory.
He really likes brightly coloured food like tomato and squash, but he won't touch his andive. I'm still trying loads of different greens to see what he likes, but I'm already glad he eats at least SOME greens (well, oranges technically).

There's always a supply of fresh vegetables available for him, so I suspect he'll eat some during the day since he only had a small breakfast.

Yesterday he also showed me his bowel movement's fine, not once (in his tank, and it SMELLS HORRIBLE!) but twice (in his bath). He didn't really enjoy his first bath, but I got him a new bathtub which he seems to like a whole lot better!

TwistedCrayon

Sub-Adult Member
Wow is all I can say to that, what a lucky little guy you got there. I get the pleasure of building not one but 3 giant viv's for my guys, that need to stack. I'm looking at designs, and yours seems complicated as all get out!

Handsome little man you got there as well!

love what you did with the viv, when i make mine i will do something similar but with removable pieces, so when he poops ill stick them in the tub, take it out and hose it off....picking up poop is a pain and they do it so much haha :roll:

xfeefeex

Well done - amazing job! id like to build billie his own stuff but im too scared :lol:
And your little guy has some amazing colours, very cute :)

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Ummmm Tomato ? not a good choice my friend...
if you want to use brightly colored veggies, stick with the peppers, squashes, and some berry fruits as snacks ;)

Janie

Doesj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
raw tomato in small quantities every now and then is ok. It's just a bit on the high side in oxalates, but nowhere near the amount found in spinach for instance. Just don't overdo them...

It's a bit like beer, You really like it, but you should keep quantities down because it's not that good for you...

Freddiemom

Juvie Member
Wow, cute beardie, great viv!!! Will you build me one? :p If you are ever in the the northern part of Wisconsin USA let me know - Liz

Doesj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Freddiemom":3336a said:
Wow, cute beardie, great viv!!! Will you build me one? :p If you are ever in the the northern part of Wisconsin USA let me know - Liz

chances are that I'm doing a road trip across the USA next year. Otherwise it'd be rather hard since thats about 3000 miles away... but thanks for the compliments :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom