New beardie this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie1434

Juvie Member
:D My hubby said he is going to let me get a bd that has been in a mall petshop for a while now. He has no name and age is unkown. I go visit him as much as I can and he really seams to enjoy my visits. One day it took me and both of the petshop workers to convince him to back in his viv. At first he was in a small viv and now is in a 55 gal they are using a seedy reptile little as a substrate. there is no thermometer present. He is very active and a good eater and very affectionate. The petshop owner has been asking 300.00 just for him. Well hubby finally agreed to let me get him so I think we are picking him up this week sometime. We will have the extra money to get him everything he will need including a big viv, new lights thermometer, tiles, carpet and sand box, ect.. :D :blob5:

beardie1434

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you... Idk his bloodline except he is a giant. I am trying to decide what to name him :? I'm thinking Budha because he is such a great eater and it shows, lol. I plan on getting his viv Tuesday and getting his set-up exact before I bring him home possibly Wednesday or since I know what he needs that I don't have already buying those things and just bringing him home at the same time and letting him roam around my office/beardie room while I set his viv up, he already seems to love watching me even when others are closer to him ( I think he has already chosen me too). I will let Gabby roam around the livingroom with my husband while I do this if I bring him home Tuesday. I will have to block under the door though as Gabby figured out she can fit under it. Sorry I am bablling I am just so excited.

beardie1434

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am picking him up in the morning. :D I went this evening however the petshop was already closed and from what I saw tonight I know I am going to have my hands full at first. In the last two weeks, since I last saw him last his ribs seem to be showing from the top of his back. He is still a hefty guy though, I am pretty sure I am facing a bit of a calcium problem. Granted I was looking in on him through a window and zoomed in with my camera. I told the guy at the shop across that I was going to take a pic and I will be back to the mall in the morning to buy him so don't worry. I did take a picture for you guys of him there and I will have better/more pics posted by tomorrow evening. Please let me make sure I am correct on my increasing calcium regiment. He will need a MVB, calcium spray on veggies or calcium dusted gut loaded crickets one out of three feedings a day 5 times a week. I hope it is not calcium problem but since there were no noticable signs two weeks ago I may be getting him before it gets too bad. I have not been by the shop after hours before and am furious that they have a bright florecent light on when it is night time :angry5: . I bet this poor guy has not had a good night sleep the whole time he has been there (at least two months) :cry: .
036.jpg

PS - they reduced the size of his enclosure again. :banghead:

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
...and is that sand in the picture?

All of what you said seems correct. I'd also give him multivite 2x per week.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
just out of curiousity, are you paying full price for him or are you getting him for less than 300?

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
I hope they aren't serious about 300.00 there. An adult normal (as he appears to be) would be in a San Francisco Bay Area petshop for 99.00-150.00. It's been a long time since I've seen a 200.00 beardie of any type in any store locally! Good luck with your baby!

beardie1434

Juvie Member
Original Poster
GoFast":7999f said:
just out of curiousity, are you paying full price for him or are you getting him for less than 300?
Yes I ended up paying the full price (actually my hubby did) but we got his tank (36x18x18), and everything but the cave included. I can't believe we paid that much, nut he is well worth it. On the way home I still was at a loss for a name until I pulled a cigarette out of my pack and he tried to take it. and every cig since he goes for the filter. So I named him "Marlboro". My concerns about early stages of clacium problems has been confirmed he is not having any problems. When we first got home I set him in the feeding aquarium and he went nuts over the crickets. I was cleaning his temp viv and looked over and noticed he had eaten about 30 or so of them. I went to pull him out of the feeding tank and he got :angry5: , he actually whipped me. So I began to take the rest of the crickets out in fear of him eating too much too quickly. He just watched and pouted. once the crics were removed he gladly came and climbed up my arm to come out. Then he noticed Gabby across the room. OMG he likes her :wink: . Next was his bath, I think it was his first ever, he enjoyed swimming for a bit and wasn't sure about being cleaned (soft bristle toothbrush) but let me clean him. When all the old dried poo was completely cleaned off he headed towards the running water. I can't even begin to explain his reaction abviously never had running water on his head before and he did it to himself. Now he is snuggled up in a fleece hamock sound asleep and has been since about 5 pm, his previous setup had lights on all day and night. So I wonder if he is going to go into brumation with an proper day and night lighting situation.

Ok on to the pics :D
As seen in previous reply he was very dark and dull, in two hours this is what his colors changed to.
004.jpg

When he noticed Gabby, he got really bright and bobbing like crazy then black bearded
005-1.jpg

size comparison with glass between them.
006.jpg

he even gave me 3 kisses so far :D
021.jpg

beardie1434

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ashesc212":f5754 said:
...and is that sand in the picture?

no it was not sand it was reptile litter, that is a bitter subject for me as he had it crusted to his shedding exit hole.

Also he is shedding right now. beard mostly, lips and his bum, about to shed on back, legs and top of head.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Wow ! He's just Beautiful ! Gorgeous ! Magnificent !
And did I mention, just plain HUGE ?
Glad he's finally Home ! Congrates mommy and daddy !
Janie.

beardie1434

Juvie Member
Original Poster
beardie1434":e60e3 said:
Now he is snuggled up in a fleece hamock sound asleep and has been since about 5 pm,
well the est he could. It is actually a ferret hamock, but he loves it.
023.jpg

He woke up around 10 am. and ready to be loved and run around. I think since he has ajusted so quickly I may see what he thinks of the living room today.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I cant believe how confident he is already.
And WOAH what a big boy ^_^

Thanks for all the updates.
Please carry on posting pictures

Holly

beardie1434

Juvie Member
Original Poster
got most of his new goodies today. :D 75 gal tank, largest log bed I could get, tiles, new digi termometer, CHE, and reptisun 10.0. New basking log coming tomorrow.:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom