New beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstein821

Hi Everyone. Im new to the site and the wonderful world of beardies. My wife finally let me get "my son" a beardie. Some questions. We brouht it homebyeterday and he hasnt eaten crickets only some peas with calcium not much tho. He has been in his corner most of the day under the basking light. I have the heat on a red lamp but just ordered a ceramic bulb. My house gets cold at night but tank stays at 80 at night with the bulb. My question is can it stay in the corner on heat side to sleep? Sorry just used to cats and dogs never had a reptile before. Just want to make sure I'm doing everytbing right. Also have carpet down instead of the horrible sand the kit comes with and its a 20 gallon long.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hi bstein,

Unless your house gets below 65 degrees F at night, turn the light off. Your beardie needs a sleep cycle just like a human does, and that means darkness...

Also, do they have a good, hot basking spot? We're talking 95-115 degrees. If your dragon is staying in one spot - directly beneath the lamp - it might be too cold.

Best of luck!
-Ellen

bstein821

Original Poster
Hi yes the tank reads 105 but i am getting a thermostat and a ceramic. I am using the thermometer that came with the setup right now. The temp does drop in my hpise at night. Im on the water and its like 2p degrees outside double whammy. Likenright now hes in the corner sleeping. I made sure he opened hisbeyes looked at me and went back to sleep. The heat lamp is on to keep the tank warm im just afraid if i turn the heat light off it will get below 65.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Are you in MI? You metioned being on the water... LOL. I live in the great lakes state myself.

Anyway, that sound like a wonderful setup! If you're really worried about temperature like that, though, what I would suggest is purchasing a Ceramic Heat Emitter. They're like a heat lamp, but without the light part. For now, I would also put some kind of "dark hide" in his tank too, is he doesn't have one - that way, if he wants darkness, he can find it in his hide.

Best,
-Ellen

bstein821

Original Poster
Yeah ny south Shore of li. He has a log that is dark insode but its his second night last nightbhe was under it and tonight hes in the heat and light. I have a ceramic on its way. Also inwas just reading aboit needing a thermostat for a Che is this true and if so what is dimmable.
97171-1019738471.jpg
97171-2635496897.jpg

bstein821

Original Poster
Oh and the basking light is 100 watts and the ceramoc that is comming is 100 as Well in the zoo med double bulb fixture ceramic base.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Make sure you’re measuring all temperatures with a digital probe or temp gun (I like the Zoo Med temp gun but there are other options). Those stick on thermometers people place on a wall of the tank only measure the general air temperature and can be off by as much as 25 degrees (which can be dangerous if your basking temp is well beyond the 100-110 range babies need). Beardies need darkness to sleep soundly, so avoid any lights at night (especially those red “night lights” pet stores push). If your room temp is 65 degrees or above then no nighttime heat source is required. A CHE will work if your temperatures do get very cold at night, and these don’t emit light so your baby will still sleep soundly and develop a normal circadian rhythm. Good luck with your new baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom