new beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

deh05001

Hello community of bearded dragon enthusiasts,

I saw a bearded dragon in a pet store a couple months ago and immediately became interested in these fantastic creatures. After doing about 3-4 weeks of research, I realized it would be amazing to have one as a pet.
I went to pet stores and donation places (such as goodwill stores and other non-profit stores) and finally gathered all of the materials I needed.

About 2 weeks ago I picked up a baby bearded dragon from PetSmart ( about 4.5" at the time, now around 6").
I had no idea what kind it was , as well as the sex, but it looked like the standard tiger kind with some nice orange coloring.
simba.jpg

About 4 days later I knew it needed a companion and I was interested in seeing the interaction they had with eachother so I bought a "fancy" bearded dragon from a different PetSmart. I guess it was called a fancy because it had been bred from some of the color morphs but didn't inherit the really good color but still had better coloring than normal ones (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is one is generally darker in color with more defined colors and red instead of orange like the first one I bought.
lilred.jpg

They are both filled with energy, though still frightened by me and everytime I have to open the cage up. They will sit relatively calmly on my hand/fingers though are very wary and will sometimes to try crawl away. They eat small crickets dusted with calcium suplement and sometimes a multivitamin powder.
Photo68.jpg

My Enclosure:

SUBSTRATE - Repticarpet and some wooden flooring cut to tank size underneath
BASKING LAMP - 100w house bulb, though considering switching to 75W
UVB BULB - reptiglo 10.0 UVB compact bulb (yes i know people will have a field day with that one. When I switch them to their 100+ gallon enclosure in 6 months I will most likely switch to the Reptisun tube thingy)

WARM SIDE - 1 tall driftwood and 1 medium mopani wood , 2 flat basking rocks
COOL SIDE - hide log, water and food dish , 1 fake tree thingy (they love to climb in the branches and fall asleep perpendicular to the ground every night)

I know this is probably too much information and appreciate whoever reads this. Any comments and concerns are welcome. Thanks!

- Dave

ReptileGuardian

Hatchling Member
Welcome to this site! This site will be very helpful if you have any questions. You may not know the sex of the beardies now but if you have a male and a female I suggest putting them in different tanks, unless you want babies...

deh05001

Original Poster
I realized my lamps had clamps on them so i took the top screen off and clamped both of the lights to the tank so they could get direct UVB (I heard that those screens can block some of it). I had to switch from a 100W to a 60W though...
I also put the screen up against the back of the tank so they can't escape by jumping from the basking log.

Photo85.jpg

current temperatures:

cool side = 78
warm side = 88-93 depending on the exact spot
basking spot = 105-115 depending on the spot

I ALSO HAND FED THEM ROMAINE LETTUCE TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME! This is the first time they've hand fed or ate anything other than a cricket so pretty exciting, at least for me. They really went after the lettuce when I would wiggle it near them.

Here's Simba
Photo86.jpg

...and Lil Red
Photo89.jpg

Sorry about the quality , these were taken with my MacBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom