New Beardie Owner has a question about behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hubby and I just got a BD last night and we got his cage all set up this morning with basking light and everything...picture below (ignore the bowl with the temp thing on it because I am trying to get the basking area to the right temp). What I am wanting to know is he seems to be running back and forth from end to end and trying to dig in the corner of the tank. He is in a 55-gal tank. Is this behavior normal? Got a couple other pictures too...

107_0094.jpg

107_0096.jpg

107_0093.jpg

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Are you sure it is a male? Females dig to lay eggs, that's why I'm asking. He could be digging because he wants to brumate(beardies version of hibernating). Some beardies also like hides,like a cave or something to get under. There could be many reasons for the behavior. My beardie runs frantically back and forth when she has to go poop(she doesn't like to do it in her viv).

TamithaSue41

Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":90b4f said:
Are you sure it is a male? Females dig to lay eggs, that's why I'm asking. He could be digging because he wants to brumate(beardies version of hibernating). Some beardies also like hides,like a cave or something to get under. There could be many reasons for the behavior. My beardie runs frantically back and forth when she has to go poop(she doesn't like to do it in her viv).

My husband looked at him last night and he said he was (we went by pictures on this website of the difference between a male and a female). He is going to get him out here in a little bit and I will look myself to see what I think. If I am sure it is a male then it can't be a female looking to lay eggs so it is more like he is wanting to brumate???? Think that could be it? He seemed to dig almost all the way to the bottom of the tank and is laying on the bottom and hasn't moved much since he dug out that area........

TamithaSue41

Original Poster
Harley's Mom":69750 said:
At that age, it's very possible he's trying to brumate. Somewhere on here there's a great article on brumation written by one of the mods, you might want to give it a read and see if anything in there corresponds to his behavior.

Here's a link to the article http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/

Are you Moko's mom from GIS?

Sorry I just now seen the question asking if I was Moko's mom from GIS....yes I am :)

dragons1222

Juvie Member
what substrate do you have?

anyway they do dig for burying themsleves andjust to dig

what are you temps in the cage if those are off sometimes they dig for that reason do you have an mvb?

TamithaSue41

Original Poster
dragons1222":b210a said:
what substrate do you have?

anyway they do dig for burying themsleves andjust to dig

what are you temps in the cage if those are off sometimes they dig for that reason do you have an mvb?

I'm not sure what type of substrate it is.....they previous owner gave it to us with the dragon and I didn't think to ask. The temps are around 102 during the day and 80 at night.

dragons1222

Juvie Member
ok temps are fine
but is thise the temp of the entire tank if so it is too warm basking 102 is fine but the cool side should be around 75-80

except night time temp how does it remain that warm? it really should go down at night it can go as low as 60 without a problem
they need this to help them shut down

the substrate is very important as some are VERY dangerous it look to me kind of like crucshed walnut shells which are very bad

i would remove the substrate and use a solid one (like tile,non adhesive shelf liner etc) or if you want to use a loose subsrate use washed and sifted play sand it is the safest subsrate

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,

Digging can be a sign of a fertile female or brumation but given your set up and that he is in a new home the digging is highly likely to be because your dragon is seeking security and somewhere to hide.
I would definatly buy him a hide or alternatively you can make one very easily out of a cardboard box (i can post pictures and instructions if you'd like).
You are likely to have a much happier dragon that way ^_^

I would also look into buying a rock/branch/platform for your beardie to bask on directly underneath your lamp. This will help your beardie thermo-regulate between the hot side and cool side.

That substrate definatly looks like crushed-walnut which can be fatal for beardies so please get it out of there immediately. Until you get yourself a new substrate you can line the bottom with kitchen paper towel.

Just as Dragons1222 said your options for substrate are:
Tile,
Shelf Liner,
Repti-Carpet,
Washed Playsand.

Holly x

TamithaSue41":6ba27 said:
Harley's Mom":6ba27 said:
At that age, it's very possible he's trying to brumate. Somewhere on here there's a great article on brumation written by one of the mods, you might want to give it a read and see if anything in there corresponds to his behavior.

Here's a link to the article http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/

Are you Moko's mom from GIS?

Sorry I just now seen the question asking if I was Moko's mom from GIS....yes I am :)

I thought so :D Moko's a cutie-pie! I'm on GIS too but I don't post all that often but when I do, I post under "Aimee" and my iggy is Handsome Jack :D

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
That temp gauge you have can be as much as 20 degrees off. I'd get a digital thermometer with a probe or a temp gun.

What UVB source are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom