New Beardie Owner from Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalBears

Hi guys and girls,

I recently bought my first Bearded Dragon and I just came across this site. I have experience with other reptiles (panther geckos, leopard geckos, red-eyed tree frogs), but I was waiting to be able to afford a bearded dragon. I finally got one and I am excited!

Here are my housing specs:

- 10 gallon glass aquarium w/screen lid (I will be moving him into a Zilla 40 gallon tank w/screen lid when I buy it in like 1 month).
- Cage carpet
- 60W neodymium bulb (for day time)
- 50W infrared bulb (for night time)
- 20W Repti-Glo 10.0 fluorescent tube bulb

I am attempting to feed it collard greens. I'm using Rep-Cal for dusting crickets and Sandfire Dragon Dust for the vitamins. I also dust the veggies with both.

Here are some pics:

dms8hu.jpg

2di2gp3.jpg

Post any thoughts, suggestions and comments. Oh yeah, it needs a name. So help me out with that too, please.

Thanks!

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
She/he is very pretty and cute! Congrats on the new pet, they are such cool little creatures!

As for suggestions.. There is no need to use any night heating unless the temps drop into the low 60 overnight. If you do need heat, the red bulb is not the best way to go. Beardies really like it dark, and regardless of what the package/store may say, the red light upsets their sleep. If you find that you do need heat at night, go for a ceramic heat emitter (but not til you get a bigger tank, of course.. those things can get really hot!). It's great that you have a UVB source, also, but the bulb you have has a bad reputation. They need to be replaced every 6 months anyways, so on your next bulb, you may want to check into the ReptiSUN 10. I can't remember exactly what was wrong with the reptiglo 10, but I think it caused eye problems. Do a search on here about reptiglo 10's to find out more..

Other than that, you really sound like you did your research about these little guys, and planned accordingly. Welcome to the world of BD slavedom. They are demanding of us; feeding, cleaning, loving.. but it's all worth it when they love you back!!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Your baby is adorable! I'm in Florida too so I wanted to say "Hi" !! I started with the Repti-Glo 10 also but ened up with mercury vapor bulbs because I liked the fact they provided heat and lasted a lot longer. I was so worried about the eye problems after reading about it everywhere. Just make sure your beardie can't get too close, something like 12" is the minimum because the phosphors in that bulb produce UV levels too high that are in the UVC range and thats what is damaging. You may end up with a larger enclosure too after reading around and learning more, just save up some money so you can get what you want when it comes time. They grow so fast and seem like they can't eat enough for a few months, it will blow your mind but it's the best pet you'll ever have! Take care, Cheryl

CalBears

Original Poster
NegativeCreep":6ed9b said:
She/he is very pretty and cute! Congrats on the new pet, they are such cool little creatures!

As for suggestions.. There is no need to use any night heating unless the temps drop into the low 60 overnight. If you do need heat, the red bulb is not the best way to go. Beardies really like it dark, and regardless of what the package/store may say, the red light upsets their sleep. If you find that you do need heat at night, go for a ceramic heat emitter (but not til you get a bigger tank, of course.. those things can get really hot!). It's great that you have a UVB source, also, but the bulb you have has a bad reputation. They need to be replaced every 6 months anyways, so on your next bulb, you may want to check into the ReptiSUN 10. I can't remember exactly what was wrong with the reptiglo 10, but I think it caused eye problems. Do a search on here about reptiglo 10's to find out more..

Other than that, you really sound like you did your research about these little guys, and planned accordingly. Welcome to the world of BD slavedom. They are demanding of us; feeding, cleaning, loving.. but it's all worth it when they love you back!!

I read something about the bulbs causing blindness, but I think it was the compact fluorescent lights that do that, not the tube lights. I have a fluorescent tube. Anyway, if I am wrong about my UVB bulb, someone please inform me so that I can return it and get a ReptiSun 10.0.

I'm also going to switch to MVB when I get a larger tank.

As far as the infrared bulb goes, I thought reptiles could not see red or can beardies see the red light? My apartment gets to like 30-40F right around now.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I'm pretty sure the Repti-Glo 10 still hasn't proven to be safe. If you can exchange it, go ahead and do so. This way you know you're safe and you won't have to go through it later when your beardie starts keeping its eyes closed or hiding from it. Why take a chance. I still have a new one in the box I never took back.

Also, everyone here says the red heat lamps disrupt their sleep and to use the ceramic ones that don't produce any light or an under tank heater to keep it above 65 degrees at night. I wrap most of my beardies in blankets and they sleep under a hide, if you made sure he was covered it would probably be okay through the winter.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Hello & Welcome to BD.org! :D
And..........
:blob8: Congratulations on the New Baby! :blob8:
Thanks for sharing the pic's of your adorable baby. :love5:
Sorry :( but even the repti-glo tube is not a good source of UVB.

Again Welcome Aboard! :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are correct. I am waiting for the 2009 UK UVB report to be released with the UVB emission data on it, which will include the Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb & the compact & coil light. They have neither one proved to be very good on their emissions no. I highly recommend the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb, or you can even get the Reptisun 5 flourescent tube bulb but it is not as strong, so if you can get the 10. Do not get any compact or coil lights, they are very dangerous & emit terrible UVB.

Congratulations on your new baby, he is a cutie pie.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeardiemyDragon
Top Bottom