New Beardie Owner! Excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
It's okay, accidents happen. I didn't know about it for a little while myself. It was an interesting little factoid I learned here.

DTRM30

Hatchling Member
FlannelBeard":yind999g said:
zandi202":yind999g said:
Congratz on your new baby. Can't wait to see some more pics!

Thanks!!! Mushu is great :) ill take a pic later.

Anyone heard of babies "brumating" or sleeping / not eating a lot? Hes fine now, but still Id like to hear your experiences. New owner so of course every little thing worries me. Might even be relocation stress :p

Most likely relocation stress. They can go through a period of not being very active and not eating much, if anything, for a week or so while they get used to their new surroundings. As long as you have the temps and lighting correct he should come around. Incorrect UVB and temps can affect appetite and activity level as well. (they need correct temps to digest properly).

Babies are delicate though - and dehydrate quickly too. So be sure to give frequent baths in warm water, shoulder depth, 15-20 minutes. I'm not sure if mentioned, so if already mentioned, please forgive the duplicate post :) They don't generally drink from water bowls but will absorb water through their vent (butt).

As for not eating greens, don't fret too much. They eat mostly insects while growing, then switch to greens when adults. The general rule of thumb is about 80% insects 20% greens as babies gradually switching to 80% greens and 20% insects as adults. But be sure to offer some every day. He may pick on them when you're not looking :)

Be sure to dust 1 feeding of insects per day 5 days per week with a good quality calcium dust and dust with vitamins 1 feeding per day 2 days per week until he's an adult. Then you can cut back to 1 feeding per day 3 days per week with the calcium. Again, sorry if this is a duplicate - I'm at work and didn't re-read the topic ...

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
For both of my beardies when they were young I started them off with collards and shredded squash and they eat that to this day.. occasionally carrots, but tend to make for messier poops.. he'll prob. pick at it for awhile, but keep offering if only in small amounts so as not to waste $$, but also for consistency.. once they realize it's a food and they need snacks it'll be disappearing slowly, but surely.. have fun w/ your lil' one.. ver cute :roll:

FlannelBeard

Original Poster
DTRM30":a6mbmeps said:
Most likely relocation stress. They can go through a period of not being very active and not eating much, if anything, for a week or so while they get used to their new surroundings. As long as you have the temps and lighting correct he should come around. Incorrect UVB and temps can affect appetite and activity level as well. (they need correct temps to digest properly).

Thanks!! I made sure everything was right and got him ALL the supplies already, but ive been doing more baths, better calcium dusting over crickets, etc, just bein 200% for Mushu.

I figured out why hes been sleeping / inactive / not eating much.

Dehydration.

***Before I get flamed, please read the following...***

Ive misted rarely and even though I give him 2 baths a day he still wasnt doing much. I finally sat him in a rock dish filled with water and watched him literally sit in it for 2 hours. hed dip his head down for 30 minutes at a time, eyes closed, and just drink and drink and drink. after 2 hours he lifted his head and looked right at me and ran over to the glass!!!

I picked him up and I can finally say I have my pet back!!! :3

I stayed up till 5am with him running around on my arm, laying on my chest while I play computer games and hed just sit and look around!!! He wasnt sleeping the entire time like before.

I put him back and he ran up to the glass again. I petted his tiny head and he kept trying to climb back on my fingers haha. I took him back up, and hand fed him a cricket before he finally closed his eyes and fell asleep. I put him back in and had my 3 hours of sleep before a long work day.

I checked him out this morning, hes still perky and now full of life...and the 4 crickets I had in there for the past 24 hours are gone.

Mushu is finally perking up.

I still need to put the cling on my cage, and after work today I might get him a bigger cage. Stay tuned as Ill post pics regardless, my tablet has been dead but I found the charger in my car this morning :)

You guys rule. Ill really be looking forward to being a solid member in this community. :) Thank you, guys. Sincerely.Ill post pics here and there hop out of the intros :) but ill be on the boards, ill make "adventures of mushu" or some **** like that later :D

FlannelBeard

Original Poster
jacody":195vk21s said:
For both of my beardies when they were young I started them off with collards and shredded squash and they eat that to this day.. occasionally carrots, but tend to make for messier poops.. he'll prob. pick at it for awhile, but keep offering if only in small amounts so as not to waste $$, but also for consistency.. once they realize it's a food and they need snacks it'll be disappearing slowly, but surely.. have fun w/ your lil' one.. ver cute :roll:

I did this with the lettuce. He had no idea until i sat with him and fed him a cricket and a few small pieces last night. he once more perked right up afterwards. Hopefully hell recognize it.

Good tip on the small amounts...I bought a ****ton of lettuce, kale, etc and hes maybe eaten 1/12th of a lettuce leaf out of the entire back...so....so yeah xD

FlannelBeard

Original Poster
...I regret to inform the community that Mushu has passed away...I...I did all I could...he just...didnt make it...

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
That breaks my heart and I'm not being sarcastic at all... I've buried a beardie last Dec. when Omni passed from kidney failure at 1.5 yrs. old and it's no easier w/ a baby.. I am sorry and know that doesn't really help, but for what's its worth I am.. losing a pet is awful.. hang in and talk to someone close to you even if they may not quite understand..

FlannelBeard

Original Poster
I appreciate it...its fine...I had the perfect lamp, I had 1,000 crickets on the way, 2 temp gauges with temps and humidity perfectly set, everything....yet I came home today and he just... :'(...

My poor Mushu....I did all I could...

he is a lot smaller, by far, than the others...i dont know if that was it or not but...I did the best I could do...

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry to hear about Mushu. Babies are really tough to take care of, some more than others. Just remember that you gave him the best home he could have asked for. We're here for you if you need us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom