New Beardie Owner and Onimizu!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'm new to having a bearded dragon and I felt it was a good idea to join a forum all about them, especially because my father likes to think he's an expert in reptiles (my father rescues snakes) but he often does things I strongly disagree with. I got my beardie by way of a coworker who was giving her red tail boa to my father and I for free. She didn't want to deal with the snake and when I went to pick up the boa, I discovered she had the beardie and she also was quick to push the beardie on to me (for free). Guys, she swears she's had this beardie for 5-7 years but he is SMALL. He looks juvenile and the tank he was in had NO ROOM for him to move around in. There was no heating element except a heat rock in the corner and no water bowl at all. When I asked when he last had crickets, she answered "about three weeks."

I named him Onimizu which means Water Demon in Japanese. My little brother and I found it funny because when we got his new tank set up he immediately flopped himself into the water dish we put in there and didn't want to attempt getting out. So it's meant to be ironic since beardies are desert creatures and the name would be aptly suited to a Chinese Water Dragon instead.

Here's a photo. I'll likely post to a different board asking about his size and if there's any way to encourage growth or if I've got a runt adult forever.

17626564_1030043987096760_1657713193687485677_n.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Welcome to the wonderful world of bearded dragons, a land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A magical realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon?, Ha Ha....guess again..... Like it or not, you are now a slave, lol!
He might stay the same size but, then again he could possibly grow some. Nothing is certain except that he has a much better chance at life with you now.
This is a critical time for you and him so, getting his "dragon's lair" set up properly is very important. As desert creatures, they have specific needs like:
UVB lighting.... I highly recommend a long tube type UVB light like the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO or an Arcadia 12%D3 that is at least 2/3 the length of the enclosure. The coil type uvb's can cause eye irritation, eye infections and/or blindness.
Proper temp gradients....
100° to 105° in the basking spot (elevated)
Warm end 90° to 95°
Cool end 75° to 80°
Substrate... Solid substrate like rough textured floor tile is easily kept clean, sanitized, keeps their nails trimmed and, no impaction risk. You can also use nonadhesive shelf paper, paper towels and newsprint. Sand is not good for them.
No light emitting heat source at night, they like it cool and dark. This allows them to slow their metabolism down so they actually get rested.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

pierceofthereptiles

Original Poster
Thanks for the wonderful greeting!

His lair is certain NOT perfect right now. It's not big enough, which bothers me but I'm working on investing in more space for him. Right now it is bigger than his previous home. And I do a great deal of hanging out with him so he can wander all over my bed (the room will be the next field of exploration once it's beardie friendly!) But I'm intending on making quick work of getting him into a big enclosure that will meet his needs and give him plenty of exploration when I can't be around to hang out with him.

The lighting I've gotten. I believe I have the first UVB fixture you mentioned (it sounds right but my memory is poor at the moment). I just learned with a bit of research that he doesn't need a heated space at night so that I have immediately solved. I just need to make certain my bedroom stays above 70oF (I prefer to sleep while cool myself).

I've wanted a beardie since I was 9 years old when a pet store employee got one out for a bunch of us kids to hold. I was obsessive about researching them as a kid but I could never get one. Now that I have this guy, I'm more in love with every passing day and all I want is to spoil him!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Wow, he's gonna be spoiled rotten in no time, lol! He is lucky you got him! Sounds like being a dragon slave fits you nicely and, yes.... They have a way of getting to your heartstrings in a hurry :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom