New Beardie Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo777

Hi everyone!

I'm a new beardie mom, as of this past Sunday! It has been an exciting week getting to know my new guy, Mojo. I've only ever had experience with crested geckos so this is a new realm for me.

So, he came from a family that appeared to be neglectful of him. The girl who got him from that family had him for around three months...she got him checked by the vet and he is pretty underweight for his age and she has been trying to plump him up. He is a little over a year. He also does not have the end of his tail and is missing a few toes...the previous owner didn't say how it happened.

We got him a brand new 75 gal terrarium with a 150w basking light and a zoo med reptisun 100 HO T5 10.0 usb lamp kit. Since Sunday, he hasn't eaten much but his appetite finally picked up yesterday. I'm trying to get his weight up so I've been feeding him super worms every day and a couple mealworms here and there. I've also fed him collard greens, kale, carrots, green beans, and watermelon. He pooped for the first time this morning and it looked normal from everything I've seen online. Any recommendations on other foods to help him gain weight?

He's still pretty wary of us at this point and I haven't quite figured out his personality yet. I'm unsure many times whether I should leave him in his house or take him out, and if I take him out then how much is too much? I took him outside with a leash earlier and he puffed his chest a little bit at me. How long does it normally take for a beardie this age to settle down and become friendly with us?

Please pass along any helpful info you can give me, I'm totally new to this and want to give this guy the best life possible!

Thanks in advance :D

93667-3310446255.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, congrats on your new boy Mojo. :) He is thin but sounds like he's already eating well so his weight will come on slowly [ as it should ] , you don't want to rush it. Superworms are O.K in small amounts, 5-6 at a time maybe once or twice a week but better options are crickets, dubia roaches and silk or hornworms. Sounds like you have him set up nicely, you might want to let him settle in for a few weeks before taking him outside, everything is new to him right now so it may overwhelm + stress him to go outside at this point . Hopefully he'll become a happy , healthy member of the family. :)

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Technically superwormer are good i guess, if you are trying to put weight on. Since they are very high in fat, however i'd recommend other foods. To help make sure he is healthy. Mine adores Dubia roaches, which are quite good for dragons and easier to digest than Super worms or mealworms. I have also heard hornedworms are like ice cream for Dragons and they are super healthy as well.

As for other foods, I saved a list from someone on this site was nice enough to give me. If you would like to see it?

Lyshha

Hi I was also a new beardie mom, currently just bred mine so now I'm going through raising baby dragons . My bearded dragons love blueberries ! They get really excited whenever I put them in their food dish . Also , someone correct me if I'm wrong , but you can also feed them organic baby food as a treat occasionally . I get organic squash and green bean and mix them together with calcium and multivitamin powder , plus add a little bit of warm water . I feed it to them in a children's motrin syringe . They really love it and it helped mine gain some weight . Mine also love this magnetic ledge I got off of Amazon and they sit on it all the time to sunbathe . Also make sure if your not listing the dragon or have water in the tank to give it a bath once a week . They submerge their head and drink the water for mins at a time .
If you have any more tips or questions lmk !

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Lyshha":31s71z9q said:
Hi I was also a new beardie mom, currently just bred mine so now I'm going through raising baby dragons . My bearded dragons love blueberries ! They get really excited whenever I put them in their food dish . Also , someone correct me if I'm wrong , but you can also feed them organic baby food as a treat occasionally . I get organic squash and green bean and mix them together with calcium and multivitamin powder , plus add a little bit of warm water . I feed it to them in a children's motrin syringe . They really love it and it helped mine gain some weight . Mine also love this magnetic ledge I got off of Amazon and they sit on it all the time to sunbathe . Also make sure if your not listing the dragon or have water in the tank to give it a bath once a week . They submerge their head and drink the water for mins at a time .
If you have any more tips or questions lmk !

How old is your beardie? I tried offering some organic blueberries to mine hes about 3 to 4 months old. He isnt keen on fruits yet. Is this more for older beardies?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Mojo777":3uwwcfix said:
Hi everyone!

I'm a new beardie mom, as of this past Sunday! It has been an exciting week getting to know my new guy, Mojo. I've only ever had experience with crested geckos so this is a new realm for me.

So, he came from a family that appeared to be neglectful of him. The girl who got him from that family had him for around three months...she got him checked by the vet and he is pretty underweight for his age and she has been trying to plump him up. He is a little over a year. He also does not have the end of his tail and is missing a few toes...the previous owner didn't say how it happened.

We got him a brand new 75 gal terrarium with a 150w basking light and a zoo med reptisun 100 HO T5 10.0 usb lamp kit. Since Sunday, he hasn't eaten much but his appetite finally picked up yesterday. I'm trying to get his weight up so I've been feeding him super worms every day and a couple mealworms here and there. I've also fed him collard greens, kale, carrots, green beans, and watermelon. He pooped for the first time this morning and it looked normal from everything I've seen online. Any recommendations on other foods to help him gain weight?

He's still pretty wary of us at this point and I haven't quite figured out his personality yet. I'm unsure many times whether I should leave him in his house or take him out, and if I take him out then how much is too much? I took him outside with a leash earlier and he puffed his chest a little bit at me. How long does it normally take for a beardie this age to settle down and become friendly with us?

Please pass along any helpful info you can give me, I'm totally new to this and want to give this guy the best life possible!

Thanks in advance :D

93667-3310446255.jpg

Grats on your new beardie Mojo :D He is cute! You can feed him dubias and black soldier fly larvae's as well as veggies/greens and some fruit :D

Lyshha

Yeah mine are over a year old but my newborn dragons will eat bananas cut up . I haven't tried blueberries for them yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom