new beardie mom, some behavior questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone, today I attended the reptile expo in white plains and I adopted a 3-year-old male.
Everything was great the first two hours, he went right to his salad and ate half of the collard greens. After 3 ish hours of being in his new tank, we decided to feed him dubia roaches, to my surprise, he ate about 6! 30 minutes later he pooped and I was so happy! :D

After all of that, he went to his basking spot to chill and I noticed he started doing hissing sounds, i figured it could be his reflection so I put up cardboard pieces in his enclosure so he couldn't look at himself and that stopped the hissing.

But a couple of minutes later I tried to feed him again because I want him to at least eat 10 (or should I have not fed him anymore?) he ate about 7 more dubia roaches and then went to his spot and again he started hissing and his beard turned dark.

is this behavior normal? I'm guessing because he just ate he is agitated but I could be wrong. I'm also guessing it's his first day and I should give him time to settle. I just want him to be happy and enjoy his life so the thought of him being scared or not happy broke my heart.

also, if anyone has any tips on how to handle him the first few days I would greatly appreciate it!!! I'm thinking about giving him a bath tomorrow but I don't know if that's too soon. I've also taken him out and put him on my bed but he just closed his eyes and stayed still, is this also normal or should I slow my roll and take baby steps with him?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may take a little while for him to settle into his new home, especially as an adult. They are often pretty set in their ways by then so it can take longer for them to adapt to a new space and routine. Be patient for now and give him space if that's what he seems to want. He should have one or two bug meals per week, all he wants to eat in about a 10 minute window (the number will vary). At his age he should be eating mostly veges. Offer a nice big salad every day with 2-3 items from this list http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html and just rotate based on what looks fresh at the store. Eventually you will (hopefully) find some favorites and can keep those on regular rotation for him. If he isn't used to a diet of veges that may take some patience too.

xintrovert

Original Poster
CooperDragon":ee64wr83 said:
It may take a little while for him to settle into his new home, especially as an adult. They are often pretty set in their ways by then so it can take longer for them to adapt to a new space and routine. Be patient for now and give him space if that's what he seems to want. He should have one or two bug meals per week, all he wants to eat in about a 10 minute window (the number will vary). At his age he should be eating mostly veges. Offer a nice big salad every day with 2-3 items from this list http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html and just rotate based on what looks fresh at the store. Eventually you will (hopefully) find some favorites and can keep those on regular rotation for him. If he isn't used to a diet of veges that may take some patience too.

you are definitely right, im just a crazy worried mom right now. I just have to remind myself that its only been 2 days and any animal will be stressed out if they're relocated to a new home.
he LOVES his collard greens and today i gave him escarole and he loved it too, so at least he has an appetite so i will keep on feeding him and give him the space he needs.

thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom