New beardie, looking for info and tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
Recently he’s gone back to acting like he did when the light was over the screen. Is there something wrong with my setup? Or is this just beardie moodyness?
103695-5163734648.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If that a T 8 it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking spot-- it needs to be closer to him -- that's the reason for behavior
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If his behavior doesn't change and he's not eating try lowering it down to him-- from the picture it looks way farther-- or raise his spot closer to light--
Karrie

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
Ok so after having his light for... dang I don’t even know how long. He’s definitely a lot more active and energetic, however I answered one of my own questions, which was about “stress marks”. I’ve been monitoring his behavior as an expertiment, because he would be white for a while and go dark as I held him, but the other day I saw him running around in his cage frantically(he was shedding so probably getting that frustration out lol) I noticed this: he went dark on his cool side, but the closer he got to his warm side the lighter he was, I went back to holding him for 30 minute periods and realized this: his behavior doesn’t change at all! In fact the longer he’s out the more relaxed he gets, around 16 mineutes he’s at his darkest, yet also his most relaxed. His eyes go droopy and he starts getting cuddly, craving attention( I used to think this was him attempting to hide, but I’ve seen him when something scary like my cat or dog walk by and he flattens a lot) also one time I think he perceived me as threat(I made the mistake of grabbing him too fast, shooting my hand towards him) he was obviously scared and used gaping and complete flattening, however he had no sign of stress marks under his heat lamp. So I’ve come to this conclusion: his stress marks aren’t usually stress marks, but him changing his color to retain heat

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes they do that --- has his eating habits changed? How old is your UVB?
Karrie

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
Yes actually, he eats about 11 crickets twice a day, and has been completely receptive to new Veggies. Uvb is about a month now(I have a reminder to change the bulb every 6 months so I just checked how old that was)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well you got me-- I am assuming the marks are him trying to absorb the heat-- it seems their color changes constantly- mine does the same thing---
Karrie

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
Haha yeah. The entirety of the people with real experience with these guys should petition to change the name of stress marks, the name is so disleading. Maybe something more like baby lines since adults don’t show them...

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
I’d just like to thank you so much for all the info and help you’ve given me, I’ve had a rough year and one of the only things keeping me going has been my little man Jerald, he’s 8 months now and roughly 14 inches! Suuuper energetic and always in a different spot in his cage. Any time i walk up to his cage he charges over to the door in his beardie way and practically Begs to be held, he enjoys catching a ride on my back/chest/shoulder/ while I do homework or walk around the house. And if it wasn’t for you I probably would have never convinced my parents to buy the proper UV, and I would have lost my little man to mdb by now. Again thank you so so much, looking forward to many many long years with my scaley buddy.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Genofdistinct":4dsn3y75 said:
Haha yeah. The entirety of the people with real experience with these guys should petition to change the name of stress marks, the name is so disleading. Maybe something more like baby lines since adults don’t show them...
Yes! Stress marks, tail rot, and yellow fungus seem to be the most asked-about/worried-about things, usually from their basic descriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom