New Beardie - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyles

Today we adopted a new beardie. She is very small and while I did notice that she had a tail nip and it looks like one of her feet were nipped also she had a great and outgoing personality. She seems to love being held. We set up her tank and let her run around for a while, I didn't notice until just now that she doesn't seem to be moving one of her legs at all. She can move the shoulder but just seems to drag the actual foot part behind her. This is her front left leg. I don't want to give her back becuase I do like her but am concerned that it may affect her as she grows. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will it get better? There are no nips on that leg but I don't know if it is paralyzed as it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you know if she had UVB lighting prior to you getting her? She could have hurt herself previously & possibly have weak bones.
It sounds like she was improperly housed if she has a nipped foot & tail so if she was bullied around then she probably did not get the proper food or lighting having to be housed with another dragon.
What type of lighting are you using?
It should not affect her growing, but for now, make sure she does not have to climb to get to her basking spot so it will heal up better.
You could also try some water therapy to help her strengthen her muscles. Are there any bone deviations that you can tell of?

Tracie

chancellor91

Juvie Member
where did you buy her from? sounds like a bad owner if you ask me, make sure you have good UVB and calcium set up for her

Lyles

Original Poster
We got her from a pet store. I know not the best way to get a bearded dragon but I feel so bad for them. They kept her in the back in a plastic container with all the other bearded dragons that were tiny. I can tell from her tail nip, and the way her toes are healing together that she did have it pretty rough (I think these two are probably part of the reason I wanted her as the other ones they had were pretty perfect). We have her under the proper lighting that we had from our last bearded dragon. One red, one white reptile bulb set on timers so neither is on at the same time, with the proper temperature on each side of the tank so she doesn't get to cold.

I could not find any bone deviations with that leg. It actually looks alot like her other leg that only has the toe problem. She seems to run around her tank just fine. We have her in a 40 gal tank with her log and basking rock right now. She can still bask in the light without either, but prefers to stay under her rock it seems. She is a good eater and even with being so small. I have very tiny hands wear a 4 1/2 ring) and she is small in my hands

3394272362_782a4a02ba.jpg

**edit** she will but weight on it, but can't seem to walk with it

Pleaides

Juvie Member
Lyles":b0753 said:
One red, one white reptile bulb set on timers so neither is on at the same time, with the proper temperature on each side of the tank so she doesn't get to cold.

hello
is the red bulb just a bulb and the white reptile bulb, what is it exactly? just a round white bulb? and they're on at different times? so the white for day and red for night?
if this is so then you have been given the incorrect information previously then, you need a reptisun 10.0 flourescent long tube for their uvb, in conjunction with that you need a white normal bulb, a household bulb will do, its to protect their eyes against the uv.as for the red at night, they cannot sleep with any lights on whatsoever so it will be affecting her sleeping, if the temperature doesnt drop below 65f then no heat needed, if it is dropping below that or you would just like to keep her warmer as shes so tiny, then id recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter, it gives off heat but no light at all.
are you supplementing calcium and multi vitamins? if so how often and what brands?
what are your temperatures up the cool and warm end and the basking area?
how are you measuring them? with a probe, digital or stick on round one?

oh congrats on the new baby also
:D

Lyles

Original Poster
We heard about the 10 inch long and plan on picking one up today. They are both exoterra bulbs, one says dayglo the other says bask lamp. The temperature right now with the red light off is 75 degrees on that side and 90 under the dayglo light. She seems to like it now anyway as she is basking on her log. We just got her yesterday but have so far started what we were doing with our last beardie dusting her crickets and feeding them flukers powder. I don't know right now what type of vitamins to give her to supplement that. I do have some rep-cal pellets that are supposed to be moistened that our last one wouldn't eat, but I am going to try them with her on top of her veggie/cricket diet. Right now she is to small for anything bigger than a tiny cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom