New Beardie has MBD? MBD health tips and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zezima

86621-4188215518.jpg
86621-2023014389.jpg

Hey guys, my brother recently took in a beardie from a friend after I got mine half a year ago. Merlin (my dragon) seems to be perfectly healthy, and he's about 10 months old. This guy's name is Smaug, he's for sure older than Merlin and insanely undersized due to malnutirition. My brothers friend did not provide him with a UVB light, didnt give him any bugs at all, hardly handled him (he gets scared easily but doesn't act hostile towards humans) and this guy is at least 10 months. Merlin is my first dragon and Smaug is my brother's first, we've been treating Smaug like he's a juvinille live feed twice a day and we've been dusting every meal (in hopes to strengthen bones) he now has the proper lighting, and we've been feeding him supers, should I get phoenix as he's not used to digesting ceratin (he's also kind of small so I worry about compaction too)

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I would definitely go with black solider fly larvae (Phoenix worms) they are great for all dragons but especially those with MBD.
Glad to hear you guys took him in and are providing him with the life he deserves. It's take time but he will eventually learn to trust you guys and not act as skittish.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Smaug really is a cute little guy. :) What are his exact length + weight ? Can you post a full body pic of him ? If you can'y measure him, maybe in comparison to a pen next to him.

What are his symptoms that make you think he has MBD ? A dragon can be small but not have MBD....there are symptoms to look for like spine, jaw, limb + tail deformities. Does he have any ?

He can eat a normal bug diet including crickets, dubia, BSFL, silkworms and medium superworms depending on his size. All bugs should be lightly dusted with calcium + D3 once a day [ one feeding ] unless you keep him outdoors for several hours a day, then switch to calcium without D3 except for 2 days a week, use the cal. with D3.

Zezima

Original Poster
I'll get pics in a sec, his spine looks kinda weird to me, he seems to be missing toes and the tip of his tail, but I don't think that's MBD related. What made me think he has MBD is his front right leg, it seems kinda gimpy, he seems to favor it and have it in awkward positions.

Zezima

Original Poster
86621-725802645.jpg
86621-3942745370.jpg
86621-6942723747.jpg
86621-3442152054.jpg
86621-5947620692.jpg
86621-631864169.jpg

He was roughly 13 inches and 230g
note:he hasnt pooped in 2 or 3 days which also concerns me considering how much we've been feeding him
Also, is he past the point of being able to grow? Will he always be 13 inches?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His spine looks fine....that ridge/imdentation gives some dragons a muscular look to the back. The foot may have had some problem....could be MBD related or a possible unknown injury from a fall, etc. Otherwise he looks good. He can still get quite a bit larger, but it depends on his genetics as well as how well he's cared for now. Some dragons don't grow larger than 16-17" , that doesn't make them unhealthy any more than being a 5'2" man rather than a 6'6" man makes one unhealthy.

Zezima

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I looked up an older thread that you answered awhile ago. (sorry this is off topic) but Smaug hasn't pooped in about a week we gave him a remedy you suggested I gave him some applesauce mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of vegetable oil. It's a little early to be freaking out, but he used to poop like twice a day or once a day. He's also rejecting food (I assume because he has 4 days of food in his belly)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) The superworms may have stopped him up a bit so it's good that you gave him some natural laxatives. A very warm bath can help, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom