new bearded dragon very agressive/ skiddish

Status
Not open for further replies.

vader111

Hey all,

I am a new bearded dragon owner. I have have owned leapord geckos, a couple scorpions, some turtles and list goes on. However, this is my first bearded dragon. The already 3-4 year old dragon was given to me by a client of mine who was downsizing and didnt have room for him anymore. I happliy took him off her hands. I also bought The Bearded dragon manual by AVS books, and finished it in one sitting. I attained the free aquarium, a basking "mini-tree," and a thermometer. After reading the manual (which didn't cover agression towards new owners), I also realized that the 27-30 inch long tank was extremely small for an already fully grown and large male bearded dragon, also with no shade incase he needs to cool down. I went out and bought some cover and have been searcing for cheap 40-45 inch tanks (which i plan to attain soon.) I can only assume that he dosent know me, his surroundings, etc. and is very suspicious of everything. He is always watching me, so I guess he just needs time to get used to the new place. I have been feeding him giant mealworms which he eats pretty well, and lettuce which seems to be his favorite. He is VERY active, attentive, and aware which is a sign that he is indeed healthy. It also seems like he is trying to get out, or actually wants me to take him out, but when I try he definitely shows signs of being threatened and even tries to bite. I do know he is sacred of me because when I did manage to get him out, he tries to run from me. He even hisses and turns his beard black. :shock: Any suggestions? I am open to anything, including any advice you would shoot to a new owner! Thanks! :blob5: [/i]

beardie1434

Juvie Member
It is not uncommon in the begining with an older dragon as reclocation stress can take up to two weeks. You do need to be confident and persistant when you do hold him, the best time is close to lights out. Wrap him up like a burrito and hold him on your chest securely but not too tight and see how he does. That close to bedtime he is more likely to relax. I would give him a few more days before tring tho. He is also likely to be mad over the small enclosure and if that is the case he will begin to calm down once he gets a bigger setup. As far as the wanting to run, they love to explore and he just wants to know what is out there. If you let him roam be sure to beardie proof the area. Cover all spaces and holes with pillows or blankets ect... you will be very amazed once you find out how small of an area they can squeeze into

Congratulations on the beardie and good luck.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Tank size for a adult is a 40gal breeder thats just the minium. Ideal is a 4x2x2. They do like to explore and get some movement but before that you have to beardie proof the area they will be exploring. Oh and warning if they havnt pooped for that day be aware they can go at the worse times! Adults like their basking temp to be 100f to 105f cool side of the viv should be around 80 to 85 day time temps. No heat or lights at night heat only if the temps drop below 65f .Best way to get the temps are using a probe type therm that you lay on what ever they use to bask on let it set 45 mins to get the right readings. What type of UVB are you using? They recomend not using the coil bulbs. Reptisun 10.0 is a great tube bulb dosnt cause harm to beardies like alot of the other uvb lighting.His site has all the info about food for your beardie http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html. Do you give him a bath? Beardies dont tend to drink from dishes they absorb water thru their vent (where they poo from) you can give them a bath 2 to 3 times a week with luke warm water up to their armpits for 20 mins. If they look dehydrated try doing it everyday for a week or so then you can cut it down to a few times a week. Some love the bath and some hate them. I have 2 who love it and play and swim and i have 2 who hate it with a passion. I use a soft baby tooth brush and go over them with it lightly they all seam to love that. If you have any questions at all please feel free to post and someone should answer :D

We just rescued a older beardie 6yrs old a few days ago. They need a little bit of time to adjust. Talk to him and no fast movements but you have to do the same things like clock work the first while. That way they learn your not going to hurt them and they feel safe. We do the beardie burrito after his bath and right at bed time. It seams to calm him.

Welcome to BD.org!

vader111

Original Poster
wow thx for all the feedback. I actaully started another thread in the introductions forum and they gave me a lot fo advice as well. i just posted in that one asking a few heating questions, and other changes ive made. I switched the food, and started bathing. still skiddish but not trying to bite. Just hisses sometimes and grows his beard out at me. these fourms and all of you are lifesavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom