new bearded dragon sleeping a lot/ shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Bearded dragon, unsure of age or sex but i think it is a female and measures in at roughly 11 inches. Purchased about a week ago and brought her to work with me and noticed she sleeps often whether under the light or not and not eating much. There was a little loose skin on her face and she shed the day after i got her. So i dont know if its left over from shedding or if she is starting again or if this behavior is normal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What size tank is she in? And what kind of lighting do you have in the tank ---- please post pics of tank and lighting so we can better help you
Karrie

skylaramanda21

Original Poster
She is in a 10 gallon tank temporarily. I am building now tank number 2 because i was unsure what the white wood i build the enclosure with was produced with a mixture of cedar and pine. After doing tons of research i found Cedar and pine can be very toxic . This should be done very soon , i just work a lot.

The lighting was originally just a SL50 which is a Zoo Med basking bulb. I was told by the pet store it contained UVB and was great or basking and later found this was inaccurate. The tank basking area wasnt getting warm enough so i bought just a standard heat lamp the pet store sold until my order came in. Light go off at night.

I ordered a T8 24 in uvb that came in yesterday and she is getting to soak all up today, with the mesh lid off just to ensure she can absorb as much as possible. She will also have a ceramic heat lamp with a regulator plugged in. The lights will be on a time cycled as soon as the new cage is done.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so what are you building the tank w/ now? You can visit the DIY board and get ideas there-- you should notice a difference in her behavior w/ the UVB changed out--- but that 10 gallon will be way to small here soon
Karrie

skylaramanda21

Original Poster
Yes i know but i didnt want a glass tank, So its temporary. The Enclosure is going to be made out of sealed birch plywood, and poplar board for the inside and white wood on the exterior. The enclosure is 40x20x24 and will have a second story half shelf she can climb up on/additions spot to bask. The floor is a optional slide out /drawer with sealed porcelain tiles (water based sealant) and 100 percent silicone. This allows for easy clean and just replacing tile if needed instead of the entire enclosure. The front is cabinet style plexi glass to with hold around 360 degrees before its dangerous

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well good luck w/ the tank--- I went to a Zen habitat 120 gallon made out of bamboo sides and back- tank is very light--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom