New bearded dragon missing crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonedaddy

I just bought my first baby bearded dragon. He is eating a lot of crickets. BUT, he has to really work at it as he seems to be miss firing a lot. He also does this weird shake when he is about to attack.

Please watch the video and tell me if this is normal. I am just concerned and want to make sure he is in the best health possible.

Thanks in advance.

https://goo.gl/photos/f39GXxAv9rBjaVsU9

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
That is not good at all. Your beardie is definitely sick. By the looks of it, your beardie has MBD. This topic will get the attention it needs more in the ER section. I'll try to inform an admin for you.
Anyways, can you list off your tank details for us? What size is your tank, what kind of heat bulb are you using, what kind of UVB light are you using, what are the temperatures in your tank, and whatever else you can think of.
Who did you get the dragon from? How recently did you get the dragon? how old is he? What are you feeding your dragon? Has he been like this since you got him?
Whatever that substrate is (it looks like wood chips) I HIGHLY suggest you remove immediately and replace it with newspaper or paper towels. Loose substrate is terrible for a young bearded dragon, especially if you feed your dragon in it. Him accidentally ingesting any of it will just make things worse right now.
You should also try to get into contact with an exotic vet that works with bearded dragons.
My knowledge of medical stuff for bearded dragons is limited, but most of this information will help someone better informed assist you. They will probably also ask more questions.

vonedaddy

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I just bought him today and he has eaten about 15 calcium and vitamin covered crickets. I bought him at Pet Smart and I have no clue how old he/she is.

Tank Details:
Exo Terra 20 Gallon Long
Exo terra Sand Mat substrate
Tank Ambient Temp 88-90 F
Highest Basking Location Temp 105-110 F
125 W Solar Glo Bulb (For Daytime)
100 W CHE (For Night time)

I would also like to add that he doesn't Twitch like this when he isn't feeding. He climbs and runs around the tank looking normal.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
My dragon Imp did those types of tremors when I first got him, so I took him to my vet. She said he was lacking in calcium and Vit D3 because they're not fed all that well in the pet shops and I have no idea if they dust the crickets. Now Imp is doing really well, I syringe fed him for awhile before introducing bugs again and now he's eating well. But he was more severe than your beardie. I think you need to give your little guy as much as he'll eat in two feedings a day, only 1 with calcium, calcium 5 feedings a week and you need vit/min powder as well to give him 2 feedings a week. The calcium should be phosphorus free and include Vit D3, otherwise your set up is wonderful.

So as I said, give him a week, see if he's improved. It could be neurological, which will improve in time but never really get 100% better. So before even considering a vet (but you should find an exotic or reptile vet soon), keep doing what you are doing.

Keep me posted, please.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[Moved here from Feeding forum so it would get more attention]

ruben0311

Juvie Member
I wonder if a vision problem would be the case. moving quickly could be to better gauge the distance to the target, and after all that cricket is a fast little booger. try cooling them down before feeding them to slow their speed, or even better, although I may get some flak for this :( , take off the back legs of the cricket to ensure it doesn't jump.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh the poor thing, he is trying so hard. I agree about removing the back legs so the cricket can't jump or put a few in a plastic bag in the frig for a few minutes to slow them down. You could also hand feed at least a few crickets so he doesn't get discouraged & give up as he certainly does need the protein.

A 125 watt Solar Glo seems like quite a bit for a 20 gallon long tank. We usually don't recommend using a MVB on a tank any smaller than a 40 gallon breeder unless you have the bulb on a lamp stand. What is the distance of the MVB to him when he's in his basking spot? That wattage needs to be at least 12" away due to the heat & UV output.

Can you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using, a digital strip, round gauge (dial), digital with probe or temperature gun? What is the temp on the bottom of the cool side? With a tank that size, it's usually hard to get a basking & cool side temp within the right ranges.

A 100 watt CHE seems like quite a bit of heat in that sized tank too as they need it cooler at night. If your room temps doesn't drop to 70 or below, you don't need any night heating but if it does, a 60 watt CHE would be better.

It is good that he doesn't twitch at any other time except when feeding. I agree that the vitamins need to be cut back to 2 feedings a week and only on 1 feeding so don't dust the 2nd feeding of either the calcium or vitamins. Vitamins at every feeding is too much.

Also dehydration can cause off balance issues so be sure to give baths & offer oral fluids.

Be sure to keep us updated and if he doesn't improve, please take him to a herb vet.

vonedaddy

Original Poster
I am using a digital probe thermometer. The tank is about 78 F on the cool side and 109 at the top of the basking area. He usually hangs our mid way up his log where the temp is around 102 F.

The tank is in a finished basement that doesn't have heat. I have a gas fireplace but only turn it on when I stay down there for a period of time. So the temp down in the basement is about 60-64 pretty steady, unless I turn on the fireplace.

He seems to be doing better already. I fed his three times today, about 5 crickets each coated in vitamins and calcium and a small amount of escarole. So total 15 small crickets. The first feeding is the video. The next feedings he seems to be on his toes and didn't have any issues. I didn't see any tremors at all, but he did seem to be slightly off when trying to catch the crickets.

As for hydration, I have a water bowl in the tank which I put fresh filtered water into twice today and plan on doing it twice daily going forward.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Why is he in the basement, can't he be upstairs with you, they love to watch what their humans are doing. Mine can see the TV, which they just love to watch, too, when I go to work. Just curious, he might do better with more stimulation.

When he ate yesterday, was he doing the tremors still?

vonedaddy

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":2hb21p15 said:
Why is he in the basement, can't he be upstairs with you, they love to watch what their humans are doing. Mine can see the TV, which they just love to watch, too, when I go to work. Just curious, he might do better with more stimulation.

When he ate yesterday, was he doing the tremors still?

He is in a finished (rugs, couches, etc..) basement, it is basically our living room and it is occupied almost constantly between work and sleep hours.

The tremors seemed to have stopped. He has eaten about 8 crickets today and he only missed once. He seems to be doing really well.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is good that he is doing better. Hopefully soon he will want to eat more than 15 crickets daily. You should actually only be coating with calcium the amount of crickets he will eat in one feeding 5 days a wk. The vitamins should only be fed twice a wk and on those 2 days, only 1 feeding a day should be coated. Too many vitamins is not good for them and can cause health issues.

Makes sense that you need a 125 watt bulb on a 20 long tank since the basement isn't heated. Make sure you get a basking temp reading with the fireplace on & off. Would also be a good idea to make sure the MVB isn't any closer than 12" to him when in his basking spot as the UV strength is usually too strong when closer.

Very few beardies actually drink from standing water dishes, hopefully you have seen him drinking from it. How often do you bathe him?

Hope he continues to improve for you. He sure is a cutie.

vonedaddy

Original Poster
diamc":2bvz780e said:
That is good that he is doing better. Hopefully soon he will want to eat more than 15 crickets daily. You should actually only be coating with calcium the amount of crickets he will eat in one feeding 5 days a wk. The vitamins should only be fed twice a wk and on those 2 days, only 1 feeding a day should be coated. Too many vitamins is not good for them and can cause health issues.

Makes sense that you need a 125 watt bulb on a 20 long tank since the basement isn't heated. Make sure you get a basking temp reading with the fireplace on & off. Would also be a good idea to make sure the MVB isn't any closer than 12" to him when in his basking spot as the UV strength is usually too strong when closer.

Very few beardies actually drink from standing water dishes, hopefully you have seen him drinking from it. How often do you bathe him?

Hope he continues to improve for you. He sure is a cutie.

I have never seen him drink from the bowl yet. But, I have only had him for two days. I do mist him in the morning.

How many crickets a day do you think he should be eating? It seems like after 5 or 6 he is done and goes back to his basking spot. I also give him a small amount of fruits/vegetable every day. Yesterday a small bit of escarole and today a small bit of strawberry.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He sure is sweet little thing! :D
That is great he isn't shaking anymore, it looked like he was trying so hard to catch those crickets.
Maybe you could feed him in a separate bin so he could catch them easier though?
You can also try using a plastic dropper to see if will drink from that for you by dripping it onto his nose.
I hope he continues to improve for you.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, didn't realize you only had him for 2 days. Misting doesn't properly hydrate them like bathing does but if you wanted to let him settle in before his first bath, you could offer drinks of water or diluted 100% juices with a plastic medicine dropper. They really like diluted juices like apple, cherry, grape or cranberry, 1 part juice to 3 parts water. Their little tongues go around in circles to get every drop. :mrgreen:

Since you have only had him a couple of days, 15 is a good amount. Some don't eat at all for even up to 2 wks until they settle in. In case you haven't seen it, here's a site that shows the best foods to feed in green print: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Escarole is a good choice. :)

Hopefully he will get better daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kpurlett
Top Bottom