New Bearded dragon fell on foot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Yesterday, I bought my very first bearded dragon (including the setup)from petgoods. He is about 2 months old, so he is still pretty small. We had a very great day feeding him crickets and watching him in his new home and playing with him, then later, he was up on his climbing stick and he fell! I noticed that he hurt his front left foot. He was not putting any weight on it. I let him go to sleep and this morning he still has it curled back, not putting weight on it. What do I do? I haven't gotten him calcium yet but I will today and I still have a 48 hour warranty on him. Please help a new person!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....a fall in the tank doesn't usually cause a major trauma, but it could do so if the dragon has been lacking in calcium. Can you list the set up they sold you, including the exact type + brand of lights [ be specific ] Also include a picture of the set up ? And can you tell what the set up in the store was like ? The good news is that babies can recover pretty easily with rest, calcium, proper lighting and a lowered basking area to decrease the chance of a fall.

fluffyviking

Original Poster
Thanks! He has a Flukers mini sun dome with a 50 wat bulb for basking, A Zilla slimline desert fixture with a T8 flourescent blulb, abd a Zilla Greeb terrarium liner. Will post pictures soon.

pitosdad

If you bought him from a major chain store, chances are he hasn't gotten the vitamins he needs. Get on the calcium & vitamins. Good luck to the little dude!!!!

Kriechtier

Keep in mind, and I know that is very hard, to give him some time to acclimate to the new environment. He needs time to explore it, sniff it out and feel secure. It will pay off big time having a well adjusted dragon.

fluffyviking

Original Poster
AHBD":32x55ze2 said:
Hi there....a fall in the tank doesn't usually cause a major trauma, but it could do so if the dragon has been lacking in calcium. Can you list the set up they sold you, including the exact type + brand of lights [ be specific ] Also include a picture of the set up ? And can you tell what the set up in the store was like ? The good news is that babies can recover pretty easily with rest, calcium, proper lighting and a lowered basking area to decrease the chance of a fall.

fluffyviking

Original Poster
IMG_20130718_112044_825_zpsb6f51b89.jpg
[/url][/img]
AHBD":3o9m10wa said:
IMG_20130718_112103_7911_zps0dd917f0.jpg
[/url][/img]

IMG_20130718_112044_825(1).jpg

fluffyviking

Original Poster
In the pictures there you can see he is not putting any pressure on his left foot. We have moved the terrain so it is lower. I can move the foot around and he doesn't react but he's definitely dragging it. I had him on my arm and put my arm straight up and he did climb a bit with it. My mother is thinking that maybe we should bring him back and get a different one. We'd have to do that in the morning, so any advice?? I like him but I'd like to have a healthy bearded dragon.

pitosdad

fluffyviking":3jzi9qms said:
In the pictures there you can see he is not putting any pressure on his left foot. We have moved the terrain so it is lower. I can move the foot around and he doesn't react but he's definitely dragging it. I had him on my arm and put my arm straight up and he did climb a bit with it. My mother is thinking that maybe we should bring him back and get a different one. We'd have to do that in the morning, so any advice?? I like him but I'd like to have a healthy bearded dragon.
You're just going to give up on the little guy :( How come you purchased him to begin with if you're not willing to take care of him? I don't mean to sound like a d**k, but it doesn't seem like your ready to own a beardie responsibly yet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom