New bearded dragon bloody stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevzLight

Okay, so this is the second time I've gotten a bearded dragon from petsmart and there always seems to be something wrong with the beardies they carry. I'm not sure what their return rate is, but I seem to only have problems with pets from petsmart.
I have a baby bearded dragon, not even for a whole week yet, and I've been feeding him pinhead crickets, dusted. It's a 20 gallon tank, 10.0 UVB bulb and his basking spot is measured by a probe thermometer of around 105 degrees for surface temp. He gets 12 hours of light a day and the cool side is roughly 80 degrees. The only thing besides the stool issue is that he's shedding, which shedding is normal with babies. I've given him two warm baths since I have gotten him and he was doing fine until now. I suspect it's an issue with the small crickets, but he wont eat much of anything else. He does occasionally eat his non preservative collard greens. My setup was made by someone who's owned two bearded dragons, that lived full lives, and she has another one now, and said my setup was completely fine, if anything it was better than her bearded dragons setup. I just can't help but to feel that there maybe was an existing condition. I haven't noticed the bloody stool until today when he TRIED pooping on his little blanket, and he couldn't poop it out. The crickets are pinheads so I find it hard to believe that it can be really impaction. He seems hydrated, eyes aren't sunken in and he drinks his water and bathes on his own sometimes (magic). What do you think I should do here for a fix?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you know if he was on sand or loose substrate when you purchased him?
A bloody stool normally indicates high levels of worms or parasites which is not surprising coming from some pet stores if they are not clean.
I would recommend getting a fecal done to determine what is causing it. Giardia also causes blood stools, too.
It could be the crickets. It didn't happen until now but he didn't have the problem when you first got him? What is his length? Maybe try some calcium/phoenix worms, too.
Your set up sounds fine to me. How close is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb?
Is he a high end morph or not?
How much calcium does he get, a dusting on each feeding?
Most little ones take a little while to get used to eating greens.
He is eating & basking normally?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom