New baby- when should I introduce them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chels1983

Hello all! I got a new baby a few weeks ago, his name is Odin. My other beardie- Brak, I have had for about 2 years. Brak is a very good beardie, he is pretty mellow and even lets the cats sniff him and lay next to him (to a certain extent lol). He is about 21 inches long. The new baby, is just over 7 inches. They are both boys, as far as I can tell.

I blocked off Odin's cage from Brak because when he could see Brak, he was armwaving at him. This leads me to believe it is too soon to introduce them, but I have seen pictures of small and large beardies together, and they seemed to be getting along ok. Regardless, I don't think I will introduce them until Odin gets at least another 2 inches, but how do I know when its time? Is there a certain protocal you go through when introducing them? I dont think Brak would do anything, but you never know..

renich

Juvie Member
can i ask why you are so intent on introducing them? beardies are generally not social animals. males especially do not get along. based on the dominant hand waving, don't think it is a good idea to socialize them.

so many times we let our human brains get in the way. i don't think it matters to your beardies if they meet or not.

chels1983

Original Poster
Well for one thing, it kind of sucks just being able to have one of them out at a time. I work a lot, and I try to take them both out a lot, especially the little one (I am trying to get him more socialized), but I feel like I don't give them enough time.

I am not planning to introduce them anytime soon, and under strict supervision, but I dont see why it's a bad idea to eventually do it. I don't think they are going to "play" together or anything, just maybe tolerate each other. Hopefully I am not expecting too much.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Well, Gibby is extremelly laid back as well, but he goes insane when I take him out at the same time as one of my others (and for about a week afterwards he acts all out of sorts). However, my others are girls, so that could contribute. I understand your stance, but it's important to remember that even if they're acting like they get along, they can turn on each other very quickly, and these guys can move FAST when they want to, so you'll need to watch them like a hawk constantly, if not always keeping your hand on one. Personally, I never take 2 of them out when my boyfriend isn't right there to grab the other one, so that they both can get cuddle/calm down time. Point is, yes, having them both out at the same time can be good for conviniece's sake, but it can also cause a lot more stress in the long run.

chels1983

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses!

I think I will wait a few months and introduce them (through the glass) and see how that goes. If it goes ok, I may do an outside introduction with them both on leashes and my husband handy. I guess I will just have to wait and see on that one.

I am hoping eventually my cats will chill around the little one, they are OK with Brak, the big one but have to be watched. Brak isn't scared of them one bit lol :lol:

renich

Juvie Member
chels1983":11b28 said:
Well for one thing, it kind of sucks just being able to have one of them out at a time. I work a lot, and I try to take them both out a lot, especially the little one (I am trying to get him more socialized), but I feel like I don't give them enough time.

I am not planning to introduce them anytime soon, and under strict supervision, but I dont see why it's a bad idea to eventually do it. I don't think they are going to "play" together or anything, just maybe tolerate each other. Hopefully I am not expecting too much.

I understand where you are coming from. It definitely would make your life easier if they were out and about at the same time so you could shower both with affection. Just be very careful if you do decide to integrate them on the outside. As others have pointed out, males do not play nice together. And you don't want to risk stressing one of them out. These are funny little guys! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom