New baby - Linda Lizardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebeardedlady

Original Poster
Thank you! I might try doing some googling in future. I could also ask the lady who owns the reptile shop if she can get supplies actually. She's really nice and helpful so I reckon she would order me some different worms no problem. :)

Thebeardedlady

Original Poster
Yeah the lady in there is lovely. And she really cares about the animals in the shop too. :D

I've got a new problem with Linda! I tried her with those wax worms last night and she loved them. Then this morning she refused to eat any crickets! I was worried she was sick or something so I offered her a wax worm and she gobbled it straight up! I think she is becoming fussy. :( I'm not going to feed her any more wax worms if she is just going to ignore the crix. Have any of you experienced this before? Today she hasn't eaten any crickets at all. She seems fine apart from the lack of eating but surely one waxworm hasn't filled her up!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I have not because my beardies didn't like wax. Wax are their version of cake and cookies and they can become addicted to them. You'll have to wait her out. She will eat crickets when she is hungry enough. She won't starbe herself.

Thebeardedlady

Original Poster
Hopefully she will give in tomorrow. Stressful! She has been her normal charming self apart from the lack of eating. I think this beardie is going to be a diva! :eek:

Thebeardedlady

Original Poster
Time for a Linda update

She was being really fussy about eating her crix after I gave her a couple of wax worms last week and seemed to be holding out for the worms in lieu of other food. So I withheld worms and she grudgingly had a couple of crickets before turning her nose up! She is clearly a girl with a highly defined sense of taste. Or a little diva!

I bought locusts two days ago and she went crazy for them, eating four right away. I think she just doesn't like crickets very much. So it appears that I'm going to have to she'll out for the pricier live food to keep the little diva happy? :) Oh well, as long as she is eating and healthy I don't mind...

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Jace and Zy stopped with crickets as well. They like dubia and supers and Zy likes those as well as silks and horns.

Thebeardedlady

Original Poster

I measured Linda today and she is 22cm long. I'm going to buy some digital scales this week so I can weigh her accurately each week too. I think she has grown a little in the week that we have had her. Mind you, her fussy eating for a few days in the middle can't have helped.

I can't believe how fussy these dragons can be! Linda is eating loads now and seems much happier since I started giving her locusts. She is also having 1 wax worm a day as a treat, but tomorrow I'm going to head to a larger reptile shop out of town to try and pick up some different, more nutritious, worms that I can mix with her salad. I love visiting new reptile shops. I'm hoping they will also have some uromastyx in this store as I'm thinking of getting one in the next year or so. :wink:

snowy

Linda is a really pretty little dragon!
I would be interested to hear if you manage to find any other worms for her - I'm also in the UK and noticed there was very little choice here. I haven't managed to get out and about yet to search the local pet shops, may get chance tomorrow. I was told that Reggie only eats hoppers (locusts) and salad, but it would be nice to offer him an alternative - especially as he was being fed lettuce and I've changed it to spring greens with a few little pieces of cucumber and he is decidedly unimpressed with me! :wink:

Thebeardedlady

Original Poster
Hi! Thank you, I think Linda is a beauty too (but I'm a bit biased!)

Yeah I couldn't seem to find much variety in the way of feeders in the UK. I'll post on here tomorrow after I try the shop out in Essex. Somebody on here mentioned that you can mail order feeder worms in this country so I may try that if I have no luck. I don't know Your area in the UK otherwise I'd probably be able to recommend some shops. I spend many free days on the hunt for new reptile places round my way in case I run out of beardie food! :D

snowy

Thanks! :D
I'm in the east midlands, near to Leicester - plenty of small independant pet shops and the usual Petsrus (or whatever they are called these days!) There is also a Realm of Reptiles - there are 3 around here, but not so close that they are very handy if you see what I mean. Northampton, Milton Keynes and Coventry. May have to have a ride out one day though! Will ask in my local tomorrow, see if they can enlighten me. Have ordered a little tank for the locusts so I can at least buy them in bulk - the ones I have in the plastic carton are looking a bit miserable :(

Thebeardedlady

Original Poster
I much prefer keeping locusts to crickets. Crickets are so smelly! I actually think the locusts are quite pretty in comparison. My daughter is terrified of them though! She doesn't mind feeding wax worms by hand but she screams and runs away if a cricket gets out of the cricket keeper!

By the way, I'd recommend getting a large cricket/locust house as I used to have a small one with my last dragon and it was hard to put food in for them without them escaping! Also they seem to live longer in a bigger house. I got mine for around £25 in a local shop but I think you can get them cheaper online. :)

snowy

Yes I quite like the locusts too - bonus pets! :lol:
I've ordered them a 7 litre tank so hoping that will be enough :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom