new baby beardy is lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

patzorz

I just got a baby bearded dragon on friday (today is tuesday) and all he does is bask in the sun with his eyes closed. In the store he was running around but now he just stands there. Every once in a while he will get up to move for a few seconds then and bask with his eyes closed. He eats crickets and some wax worms. Also he eats lettuce some too. I have a florecent tube uvb light (not sure what kind threw out box :banghead: ) and a 75W normal bulb for heat. The temp in the hot side is ussually around 105 and he rarely leaves that side. It is a 20gal tank with shelf liner as the substrate. I give him baths almost every day but i rarely see him drink and ussualy he will have his eyes closed when i carry him and when he stands still in the bath.

I am just wondering if it is something wrong with the cage or if he is just scared or lazy lol.

please tell me what i am doing wrong so i can help my baby

patzorz

Original Poster
here is the list thing

How old is your dragon? not really sure but only about 5-7inches from head to tail
How long have you had your dragon? not even a week
How long is your dragon? about 5-7 inches
What is the sex of your dragon?not sure
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 20 gal
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? shelf liner
Do you use UVB lights?yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? fluorescent tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? threw out box =[
How old is your UVB bulb? not even a week
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? about 9 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? yes 75
What are the basking temps? 105
What is the cool side temp? not sure=[ only 1 thermometer and havent checked but he stays on the hot side almost all the time
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? digital with wire and a probe
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? where he basks
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. crickets some wax worms and lettuce not iceberg but not sure of name
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? i feed him live food 3 times morning afternoon night
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? i use rep cal ive used it twice now in the past 5 days
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yes
Do you bath your dragon? How often?yes almost every day
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?i dont mist cause i dont have a spray bottle but there is water in a dish
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?no

brodie67

My beardie did the same thing but when he/she gets to know you more he/she will get more active and if you got a bowl or something beardies sometimes don't like to drink out of it. Now if you can get a spray bottle or something put distilled water in it and make sure it is room temperature and spray some on him/her and you will see him/her licking the water. And if his eyes are closed while holding it could be its reaction. If you have any questions private message me if I am wrong (to the other people) correct me! Good Luck :wink:

Fogles

Juvie Member
My baby does the exact same thing. He's very lazy, won't go after the crix unless it's infront of him!

patzorz

Original Poster
alright cool im not alone, and yeah today i noticed he was moving around more then he has so i think he was just scared
thanks for the replies

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Look on the bulb. On the bulb toward one side it will tell you what bulb and the strength is. It's on one of the edges toward where you attach it to the fixture. Depending on whether it's a good bulb or one of the not so good fluorescents.

patzorz

Original Poster
ok i found out i have a repti glo 10.0 is that ok, because i have been reading that reptisun is better. If i do need to change it can you please tell me where to buy a reptisun light and if it is ok to just keep the reptiglo in there for now.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that you checked to see what the bulb said. There have been some issues with the Repti-Glo fluorescent causing eye irritation so it's possible that is why he keeps his eyes closed most of the time. Until you get a Repti-Sun, the safest way to use the Repti-Glo is to have it 10" from him and to put the bulb right alongside a bright white basking bulb. Here's a site where you can get the Repti-Sun for a very reasonable price & they are a great company to deal with. http://www.petmountain.com/product/bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-high-output-uvb-bulb.html Since his eyes seem irritated, it wouldn't hurt anything to shut it off for a few days to see if he acts better.

It would be a good idea to see what the temp is of the cool side. Make sure you lay the probe so that it is laying right on the bottom of the cool side, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising to get the final temp. Since your beardie never leaves the basking area, he may prefer to have the temp just a little warmer, so could raise the basking area by putting bricks underneath it to see if you can get a temp closer to 110 but no higher.

Since you have a baby, you should be dusting his live food with calcium with D3 but phosphorus-free 5 days a wk, 1 feeding a day and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk, 1 feeding a day. Keep us updated on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom