New baby beardies =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my wife and I decided to get a bearded dragon and that turned into two, lol.

We got them from Petsmart 2 weeks ago. The beardies at Petsmart actually looked a ton healthier than the ones at the local reptile shop. At the time, they told us they were about 4 weeks old. They are now about 4 1/2 to 5 in. long. We're not really sure, but we think the lighter one is possibly a hypo, since all 20 nails appear to be clear and the shoulder pads are grey. The darker seems to maybe have some sandfire in him, since he has some red tinges along his sides, back and now tail after his first tail shed last week. Can anyone look at the pictures posted below and help us on possible morphs?

They ate about 4-5 crickets at each meal twice the first day home and been as high as 13 on a single meal, but averaging about 10 each meal now. We made a bad decision to get the ReptiGlo 10.0 UVB tube before we ran across the forums here. After going through I don't know how many different lighting/heating set-ups over a couple of days to get the right temps and gradient, we finally settled on a 75 watt Zoo Med incandescent on a dimmer for the basking site. The basking temp is around 105 deg from the probe on top of the logs and a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer for the cool side. It is at 85 deg from the probe on top of the tree to the right during the day, but it needs to be watched constantly due to the drastic weather changes we are having right now. At night we try to keep it around 70-75 deg with just the heat emitter in the middle.

We just took off the ReptiGlo after reading that we should have gotten the ReptiSun 10.0 tube instead, and have taken them outside in the sun inside a carboard box to try to make up for some of the lost UVB until our ReptiSun comes in, either tomorrow or the day after. We also have a 50 gal tank coming from a friend of ours and a lamp stand to hopefully get the basking light a bit higher and maybe a bit more stable temps. Then I will be working on making a final enclosure(s). I am also planning on adding a regular household CFL or florescent tube on the cool side for more ambient light within the next few days. Got some Reptiworms on the way too, as the crickets aren't holding up so well from Petsmart and we think they will be better for them.

It's a work in progress and hopefully they will do better on their appetites once the new UVB bulb gets here, but they still seem very lively and not too skinny. They have even started checking out the salads we keep in the food dish for them all the time and the dark one has devoured a few dandelion flowers torn up so just the yellow was in little pieces in the salad bowl a few times. We're dusting the crickets with calc 5x during the week, and Reptical vitamin dustings 2x on the weekends. The shelf liner we are using for substrate cleans up really easy and is tons better than using paper towels, since they were kind of catching their little claws in the paper towels. Also, we've been bathing them in warm water every 2 days since they really haven't touched the water yet.

We're not sure of the sexes, but the lighter one has been caught waving her arms a lot and the darker one hasn't done that yet that we have seen, so for now we are calling them her and him, but understand that may not be the case. They are so funny watching when they are eating. "She" kind of stalks the crickets like a cat and pounces on them, and "He" just seems to be a piggy that races all over to get the first few, then sits and waits for them to come to him before snatchin them up. "She" also loves to just stay on top of the logs at the very top under the basking light, while "He" will traverse back and forth to the tree on the cool side and we were wondering if that is because of her light pigmentation not retaining heat as well as his darker pigmentation?

I have to say, there is tons of info on this site for sure and hopefully we have it mostly right, but if anyone has any suggestions or comments, please let us know. It's definately awesome to have these little guys :D They look grumpy in the pics because I don't think they liked being put in the box and taken outside the first time lol.

Sorry for the wall of text...we are just happy to find a forum with so much information and wanted to share our experiences so far.

BeardedDragonSetup.jpg

Possiblesandfirebeardeddragon.jpg

PossibleCitrusHypoBeardedDragon.jpg

Littlehawkf

Original Poster
Actually that is only a 20 gal long atm, but looking at the pics it looks a lot bigger than it is :shock: I guess it's the wood and such that just makes it look so big and they are so small right now. We're going to be moving them into a 50 gal soon, though and dividing it a little if we need to until they get bigger :D

Littlehawkf":1ftykaz4 said:
Actually that is only a 20 gal long atm, but looking at the pics it looks a lot bigger than it is :shock: I guess it's the wood and such that just makes it look so big and they are so small right now. We're going to be moving them into a 50 gal soon, though and dividing it a little if we need to until they get bigger :D

Lol Oh man look at that! Sorry I was on my phone when I looked at the picture so it looked huge! lol. Cant wait to see the 50 setup!

Littlehawkf

Original Poster
Haha, thanks. It's the first time we have had reptiles and we're definately glad we decided on the beardies, they already diplay a lot of character for sure. We're really lookin forward to seein them grow up. We were just trying to put down what all we were doing and post some pics of them and their setup and make sure were doing right by them, but that post was a bit lengthy, guess we're just glad to find a place to show em off :D

jaidonx13

Hatchling Member
Wow they are so cute, and awesome looking ones to find at petsmart. How are they doing together in the same cage? When they get older I suggest putting them in separate cages so that they wont hurt each other and get stressed out. One of them can claim dominance while the other one feels like it's not allowed to eat or bask in the light. But while they are babies to a couple months old I'm sure they will be fine together. I can't wait to see more pictures of them!

-Jaidon

Littlehawkf

Original Poster
They have been doing great together, as a matter of fact they like hangin out on the basking area together and I haven't seen them bicker yet at all. I am waiting to make their final enclosure(s) until they get older and see how they do together. They looked like they were companions from the beginning, so we couldn't leave one behind.
We were just going in to see some live beardies initially, but we were really suprised to see how healthy they were at Petsmart and how clean they were keeping everything. Tons healthier and cleaner than at the local petshop for sure, unfortunately. I guess it may be because in our city, the Petco is right across the street, so maybe some healthy competition is keeping them on their toes. Definately seems better than any Petsmart I have run across.
Still not really sure what kind of morphs they are, but hey, they are great no matter what :D Do you guys see anything that we may be doing wrong or maybe have some suggestions for us? Thanks for all the replies too.

jaidonx13

Hatchling Member
Littlehawkf":u2b74tm1 said:
They have been doing great together, as a matter of fact they like hangin out on the basking area together and I haven't seen them bicker yet at all. I am waiting to make their final enclosure(s) until they get older and see how they do together. They looked like they were companions from the beginning, so we couldn't leave one behind.
We were just going in to see some live beardies initially, but we were really suprised to see how healthy they were at Petsmart and how clean they were keeping everything. Tons healthier and cleaner than at the local petshop for sure, unfortunately. I guess it may be because in our city, the Petco is right across the street, so maybe some healthy competition is keeping them on their toes. Definately seems better than any Petsmart I have run across.
Still not really sure what kind of morphs they are, but hey, they are great no matter what :D Do you guys see anything that we may be doing wrong or maybe have some suggestions for us? Thanks for all the replies too.

That's good, as long as they are happy :) I can't wait, this summer I'm gonna get two little guys,hopefully around 1 to 2 months.

jaidonx13

Hatchling Member
midmichicer":14wuw6nt said:
no uvb? Or am I just not seeing it. I know you mentioned it in your post...

He said that he is waiting for the reptisun uvb light, he has them outside so they are absorbing a bunch of uvb .

Littlehawkf

Original Poster
Yeah, we pulled the Reptiglo off when we saw it was bad for them so we took them outside for a while every dayin the interim, but today we just got in the Reptisun 10.0 along with some Reptiworms too :D We took some pictures this morning of the hypo? shedding this morning and man she really looked like she was in an Elmer Fudd cartoon, explosion and all lol. One of them really took to the Reptiworms right off of the bat and the other had a few, but think he is getting ready to shed himself. We'll see how he does on them tomorrow. I'll try to get those pics up of the splosion, haha.

Littlehawkf

Original Poster
The Reptiglo puts out a lot of short wave lengths of UVB which can lead to eye and skin problems. You can find more info by doing a search for it on the forums or try this thead: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=145608&p=1166287&hilit=reptiglo#p1165457
We saw a lot of stuff on many sites saying the Reptisun 10.0 tube is basically the UVB tube of choice and that many have just taken the Reptiglo off and taken their beardies outside to make up for their loss of UVB until a new bulb comes in.

AWDVette

well ill return this one to petsmart then. i couldnt find the reptisun locally so i guess ill have to order one. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom