New Baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Years ago, we had gotten a petsmarts beardie. He ended up with MBD, Through the help of this forum, we made sure his cage was set up correctly (UVB/UVA lighting, proper heat temps etc). Sadly, he passed away. My daughter has been wanting another beardie ever since, and we finally decided we would get her one. This time, we want to be prepared. Our last beardie, ate so much we had a hard time keeping up with him. I"d like to know what you think as far as if we have a good head start.

1. I have 3 breeder bins of cricket eggs roughly a week old waiting to hatch. These eggs from from 1000 adult crickets purchased over a week ago. They are still laying eggs etc.
2. Just ordered 1000 1/4 crickets to be delivered tomorrow. New baby is 9 weeks old and we are picking him/her up Saturday. Not petsmart this time, we went with a breeder about an hr and 45 minutes away. (will feed baby from these, but will separate out 50 females and 10 males to go into a breeder bin to grow up and lay future eggs...is this enough you think?? )
3.Saturday I have 20 female and 5 male dubia roaches arriving. I'm setting up their enclosure today. I know they will take 2-3 months to actually have an established colony, and will continue to use crickets until i can feed only dubia roaches.
4. Tank is already set up, basking area temp is 105F, cool side is 82F.
5. I stay home with my 3 children, so we are prepared and able to feed 3 times per day etc.

Does this sound like i'm ready?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You will have many thousands of baby crickets hatching if you keep the eggs moist and warm. I used to hatch them in a room that was 80 -85 F or so. You are well prepared if everything goes as planned. :)

Littleleno

Original Poster
Thanks!! The eggs are currently sitting on a pet safe heating pad! Hoping they hatch soon! I don't want to have to buy crickets again!! I want to be able to feed all dubia roaches eventually. crickets stink and take up way to much of my time.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Littleleno":10u1xec5 said:
2 Years ago, we had gotten a petsmarts beardie. He ended up with MBD, Through the help of this forum, we made sure his cage was set up correctly (UVB/UVA lighting, proper heat temps etc). Sadly, he passed away. My daughter has been wanting another beardie ever since, and we finally decided we would get her one. This time, we want to be prepared. Our last beardie, ate so much we had a hard time keeping up with him. I"d like to know what you think as far as if we have a good head start.

1. I have 3 breeder bins of cricket eggs roughly a week old waiting to hatch. These eggs from from 1000 adult crickets purchased over a week ago. They are still laying eggs etc.
2. Just ordered 1000 1/4 crickets to be delivered tomorrow. New baby is 9 weeks old and we are picking him/her up Saturday. Not petsmart this time, we went with a breeder about an hr and 45 minutes away. (will feed baby from these, but will separate out 50 females and 10 males to go into a breeder bin to grow up and lay future eggs...is this enough you think?? )
3.Saturday I have 20 female and 5 male dubia roaches arriving. I'm setting up their enclosure today. I know they will take 2-3 months to actually have an established colony, and will continue to use crickets until i can feed only dubia roaches.
4. Tank is already set up, basking area temp is 105F, cool side is 82F.
5. I stay home with my 3 children, so we are prepared and able to feed 3 times per day etc.

Does this sound like i'm ready?

Wow .... I should say so .... I wish my wife was as well organized ....

You might consider getting hold of some silkworm eggs ( maybe 200 ) and hatching them and raising them on either silkworm chow (buy in powder form, simply mix about 90g with 150g of BOILING WATER and then nuke on high in sealed plastic food tub for 90 seconds, and then make hot logs wrapped in cling wrap to store in the fridge - easy then to slice off a thin slice , thin it out with rolling pin between two sheets of clingwrap to about 2mm thick) and leave for tiny silks to eat.
If you can source fresh pesticide free mulberry leaves , they keep great in a loosely sealed freezer bag in the crisper.
A month of so after they hatch you'll have worms about 1cm long , just the right size for 4 week old hatchling (but he will handle 1.5inch long silkworms too).
They are a great feeder insect for young beardies, another great feeder insect is BSF maggots.

Littleleno

Original Poster

Wow .... I should say so .... I wish my wife was as well organized ....

You might consider getting hold of some silkworm eggs ( maybe 200 ) and hatching them and raising them on either silkworm chow (buy in powder form, simply mix about 90g with 150g of BOILING WATER and then nuke on high in sealed plastic food tub for 90 seconds, and then make hot logs wrapped in cling wrap to store in the fridge - easy then to slice off a thin slice , thin it out with rolling pin between two sheets of clingwrap to about 2mm thick) and leave for tiny silks to eat.
If you can source fresh pesticide free mulberry leaves , they keep great in a loosely sealed freezer bag in the crisper.
A month of so after they hatch you'll have worms about 1cm long , just the right size for 4 week old hatchling (but he will handle 1.5inch long silkworms too).
They are a great feeder insect for young beardies, another great feeder insect is BSF maggots.[/quote]

Do I need more? or does this add more nutrients?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are definitely well prepared!
As long as you keep the eggs warm, with good humidity, they will hatch out within 7-10 day. You should have tons of little hatchies.
Be sure you keep a cricket watering device with a foam device so they can stay watered. I have always fed organic chicken laying crumbles for high protein for them.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom